Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sleeper hits oN the 360, recommendations?

Options
  • 29-03-2012 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭

So I am starting to go back through 360's back cat of sleeper hit games.
    Started with 'Shadow of the Damned' last week, got terrible reviews it seems but I love it!
    Next game I am thinking of getting it 'Metro 2033', prob this evening. It seemed to get terrilbe reviews also but every person here and other sites seemed to love it.

Any other games that are amazing but got panned for not having 'online play' or some such rubbish like that that you would recommend?

Cheers.

PS: I hate online play :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Ha I saw the thread title and was immediately going to suggest shadows of the damned :D

Metro 2033 was a great game so get that if it's going cheap.

Few I picked up cheap recently and enjoyed were, Enslaved : Odyssey In the West, Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom, Darksiders, Mirrors Edge (this was all of €3 used) and is a real sleeper worth checking the videos if you haven't see or heard of it. All those are single player only games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Haha, SotD has nearly replaced my all time fav game RE4 for the top spot! Although, I just bought a new classic controller pro (shexxy red) so I can replay RE4 on my Wii, again lol.

Thanks for all those recommdations Calex, Darksiders is on my to play list before 2 is out for sure!

Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom, heard of this one before. Played a lot of 'A Shadows Tale' on the Wii last year and loved that game, very different, but this game I think was out the same time as I was playing that and I thought (for some reason) it might be kinda the same game. Is it?

Majin is kind of like darksiders, but you have a companion to assist you and that you need to progress to new areas and come back to others later once you have the abilities to access parts of the old areas.

Not nearly as good as darksiders but it was entertaining enough for the €9 it cost me.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭mr.noobie

Binary Domain, great game!

I have the demo for Binary Domain, just haven't got round to giving it a shot just yet.
    Will do over the weekend tho!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Any one play Brink?Saw it in xtravision, new for only a fiver.Vaguely remember it getting bad reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,338 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Darksiders. If you haven't played it, you've missed out on the best Zelda game of this generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,338 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Meatwad wrote: »
    Any one play Brink?Saw it in xtravision, new for only a fiver.Vaguely remember it getting bad reviews.

It's not worth a fiver. I bought it at launch and it was just a broken mess of a game that never worked as it was supposed to. Now it's a broken mess of a game that no-one is playing.

It's not worth a fiver. I bought it at launch and it was just a broken mess of a game that never worked as it was supposed to. Now it's a broken mess of a game that no-one is playing.

Rented it a few weeks ago myself, and completely agree with you, fails epicly at what it was supposed to be , It has it moments, but it has no plot to speak of what so ever.

If you actually had a group of friends to help out it could be fun but playing with the AI is just a pain especially on harder settings, they just seem to wander off and do what ever sub objective leaving you to get hammered by the attacking team.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Darksiders. If you haven't played it, you've missed out on the best Zelda game of this generation.

Cant agree with this any more. Fantastic game to play. Bring on No.2 :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Judging by the list of games mentioned as sleeper hits thus far, does that mean Bayonetta and Vanquish count?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I finished Singularity at the weekend and thought it was pretty good, and should be able to pick it up cheap too.

gizmo wrote: »
    Judging by the list of games mentioned as sleeper hits thus far, does that mean Bayonetta and Vanquish count?

I loved the character Bayonetta but hated the game, just couldn't get into it but many loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

+1 for Enslaved and Mirror's Edge. Alpha Protocol is also quite good if you happen to like Mass Effect 1 and happen to think it was the best in the series as I do. It has some issues, poor AI and lacks polish but it has a ton of potential and a load of different endings that puts Mass Effect 3 to shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭da gamer

enslaved is a gem of a game. alice madness returns, red faction guerrilla, borderlands, ghostbusters, mafia 2, dead space, deadly premonition, dead to rights retribution and driver san francisco can all be got cheap and i found them all enjoyable with little or no online play needed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Shenmue 2 on the original xbox is excellent, worked on my 360 fine.
    it does cost €20-€25 on ebay, but it would have a similar resale price too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Marvel ultimate alliance 2 and 1 are great games, rare to find though. Another great game that never go the sales it deserved is dark sector.

One of the more fun games Ive ever played, got a 7.3 on GT and their usually on the ball. Heres the review http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-dark-sector/32357

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

+1 for Enslaved, Red Faction Guerilla & Bayonetta. I'd like to add Viva Piñata Trouble in Paradise, Alan Wake, Crackdown , Civilization Revolution, Bulletstorm & Castlevania Lord Of Shadows. All wildly different but didn't get near enough praise imo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

calex71 wrote: »
    I loved the character Bayonetta but hated the game, just couldn't get into it but many loved it.
    Can't...spew...hated...due...to...reasonableness...in...disagreement....

ARGH :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Moiph

Syndicate. I know it was only released recently but it's an absolutely fantastic game!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 NeonTool

Here are my tips:

Army of Two: 40th Day - surprisingly good third-person cover shooter, even better with a coop buddy. The first game in the series is reasonably good, but they really improved the formula with this sequel.

Pure - Quad bike racing extravaganza, a little lacking in number of tracks, but used copies are quite cheap.

Divinity 2 Dragon Knight Saga - this one never really got much press, despite being a very competent RPG and this specific edition includes the expansion pack plus several fixes which make it the definitive version to have. The problem is availability.. it's very hard to find a new or used copy and they generally cost around 25€ or more.

Sacred 2 - Loved the first game on PC and there isn't anything really quite like it on the X360 (except maybe Torchlight). There is a lot of content and a huge map to explore. Quests are repetitive (like any Diablo-like) but loot-hoarding never gets old! :D

50 Cent: Blood on the Sand - No matter if you love or hate the guy, ignore the stereotypical storyline and characters and you're left with an incredibly fun third-person shooter!

Flatout Ultimate Carnage: I got this one as a used copy in Gamespot for 3.99€. Seriously, this is one of the best arcade-racing games ever made! Destructible environments, great variety of cars and tracks, imaginative game modes, it's all here! Severely underrated!

I'm pretty sure I can think of more, just need to take a look at my collection later (these are just the ones that came to my mind :p).

Regards :)

Wow dude, there's a lot there!
    Thanks for the list, prob going to be very broke over the next while with all the recommendations here.

Thanks guys!

NeonTool wrote: »
    Here are my tips:

Pure - Quad bike racing extravaganza, a little lacking in number of tracks, but used copies are quite cheap.

Wow good one, forgot how enjoyable Pure was, comes in a double pack with lego batman well worth the 10er I paid for it.

Quite simply it was the game the new SSX should have been in terms of over the top fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Deadly Premonition consists 100% of pure WIN

Love love love it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

Unreal tournament 3- quality fps IMO but very hard online when you first get it

Far cry 2 - unique fps I think. Very atmospheric and amazing graphics. Can be got for a few quid now.

Other games I also agree with that have been said are enslaved, pure, bulletstorm.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

da gamer wrote: »
    enslaved is a gem of a game. alice madness returns, red faction guerrilla, borderlands, ghostbusters, mafia 2, dead space, deadly premonition, dead to rights retribution and driver san francisco can all be got cheap and i found them all enjoyable with little or no online play needed

This looked cool when I saw the early screenshots of it last year. Is it worth buying? I have barely heard anything about it since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

GTR63 wrote: »
    +.......Viva Piñata Trouble in Paradise, Crackdown , .....

+1 to these games. Loved Viva for its quirkiness and Crackdown was possibly the most fun game I ever played (although avoid Crackdown 2, it was rubbish).

Mirrors Edge has been mentioned several times and I can't praise that highly enough. Best game I played in 2008.

Darksiders seems to be getting the nod also. Have it at home but never got into it. Must give it another whirl.

This looked cool when I saw the early screenshots of it last year. Is it worth buying? I have barely heard anything about it since.

I thoroughly enjoyed it. Great game. Best to get it new though as it comes with a code for the original game aswell.

It isn't a very long game though so you could get through it in a few nights.

calex71 wrote: »
    I thoroughly enjoyed it. Great game. Best to get it new though as it comes with a code for the original game aswell.

It isn't a very long game though so you could get through it in a few nights.

It comes with the first game on a code? really? Thats a great deal! Never played the first one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭irateghost

Condemned and its sequel are great and cheap. The darkness is also wonderfull and different and just as cheap. The fear series is always courting the bargain bin but especially the first game i believe is worth most peoples time. Oh and if you dont have hitman blood money its totaly essential.

Advertisement