Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hen badly injured

• 29-03-2012 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Hi all,

I keep hens & recently i took two more from a guy who said he hadnt time to watch them as he is away all day & one had been attacked badly by the other hens.

It was attacked all day to the point where most of the skin is gone from her head, it appears a good part of her skull is exposed but the injury has scabbed up.

She cant get her head around to clean her feather properly so there is a build up of dirt on her rear.

I am thinking more so regarding the injury, should she really be put out of her misery, is she likeley to get infected or can she survive?

I dont want her to suffer.

Please advise,

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 347 ✭✭haybob

Was it all your hen or one hen that did the attacking??

I have seen a hen hit with tractors live I'd suggest a bit of bread soaked in milk, and if she doen't eat it consider your other option
    Hi all,

I keep hens & recently i took two more from a guy who said he hadnt time to watch them as he is away all day & one had been attacked badly by the other hens.

It was attacked all day to the point where most of the skin is gone from her head, it appears a good part of her skull is exposed but the injury has scabbed up.

She cant get her head around to clean her feather properly so there is a build up of dirt on her rear.

I am thinking more so regarding the injury, should she really be put out of her misery, is she likeley to get infected or can she survive?

I dont want her to suffer.

Please advise,

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Uncorruptable

haybob wrote: »
    Was it all your hen or one hen that did the attacking??

I have seen a hen hit with tractors live I'd suggest a bit of bread soaked in milk, and if she doen't eat it consider your other option

Sorry, i didnt make it very clear.

This hen was given to me afetr being attacked, it was attacked by a few other hens belonging to someone else, thing is she appears to have nothing wrong with her bar the obvious skin missing exposing her skull & not being able to clean the dirt of her feathers at her rear.

She is scuurrying around, eating grain from the ground, scratching, even having a bit of a go back when the other hens i have peck at her.

Its just that her actual skull is visible from the amount of pecking she suffered, i dont want her to get an infection & die in pain.

Do you think she will grow skin back or is it just cruel to leave her?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I'd say out her out of her suffering. Also you don't want to start anything infectious that others may catch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 347 ✭✭haybob

I hate putting anything down and give them a chance to recover, from what your say a spray of iodine around the wounds would be no harm at all

Do I think she will make it
    I'm not a vet, I havent see the hen but nature is a wonderful and strange thing
    Sorry, i didnt make it very clear.

This hen was given to me afetr being attacked, it was attacked by a few other hens belonging to someone else, thing is she appears to have nothing wrong with her bar the obvious skin missing exposing her skull & not being able to clean the dirt of her feathers at her rear.

She is scuurrying around, eating grain from the ground, scratching, even having a bit of a go back when the other hens i have peck at her.

Its just that her actual skull is visible from the amount of pecking she suffered, i dont want her to get an infection & die in pain.

Do you think she will grow skin back or is it just cruel to leave her?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Good loser

Chance her on. She's obviously not suffering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭gazahayes

if you can at all separate her from the others and give her some sardines should help her recover fairly well.

HHave been seperating the hens everyday, giving her beans as they are high in protein, putting savlon around the wound everyday, she seems to be healing well & is acting like nothing is wrong with her.

If she remains on this healing path i think she will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

if you can get hold of some "Purple Spray" commonly used in horses, that helps disguise the blood which is what makes them peck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 136 ✭✭chickenfarmer

Chickens have unbelievable healing power. Get stocktar and put it on the wound. If she is active then she is not suffering. She will come around no problem at all. In a domestic environment I would be inclined to give the bird a chance. The stocktar will prevent the other birds from picking. don't use anything bright coloured sprays as it will arouse the other birds curiosity. Stock tar is dark and they are not inclined to peck at it

Chickens have unbelievable healing power. Get stocktar and put it on the wound. If she is active then she is not suffering. She will come around no problem at all. In a domestic environment I would be inclined to give the bird a chance. The stocktar will prevent the other birds from picking. don't use anything bright coloured sprays as it will arouse the other birds curiosity. Stock tar is dark and they are not inclined to peck at it

She seems to be grand on the pecking front, she is a very fast little hen & is gone as quick as any of my other hens even begin to approach her.

The Savlon seems to be working grand.

• Advertisement
Advertisement