Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Census results Are Out (quite interesting) Merge. All census talk in here.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

ah lads, i wouldn't get into a kerfuffle about the census results sure look how many people think they can speak Irish
    Both sexes
    All ages
    Population Aged 3 Years and Over (Number) 4,370,631
    Irish Speakers (Number) 1,774,437
    Non-Irish Speakers (Number) 2,507,312
    Not Stated (Number) 88,882
    Irish Speakers as a Percentage of Total (excl. Not Stated) (%) 41.4

balls to that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I once had a subscription to National Geographic magazine. I stopped renewing it about 6 years ago, but never 'officially' had my name removed from their records. Am I still a subscriber?

My dentist still has ten year old copies of National Geographic, does that make him a subscriber?

No! But he still hangs on to the copies doesn;t he!

And just to merge two and a half points in this thread (Jewish/Catholic heritage and Dentistry.. ) here's Jerry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Mr Trade In

Had a look on the atheist board and came across this gem:

Arrogrant, "more intelligent", and believing that all people who fill in Roman Catholic are stupid and dumb people.

Atheists aren't just on top of a high horse, they are on top of about 50 stables of horses.

(BTW, the post got 12 thanks.)

You have got none.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

seamus wrote: »
    I'm actually a little bit heartened to see a big increase in traveller numbers. It possibly indicates a willingness on that community's part to engage with the rest of society and put themselves down on the census form.

Yes its truly wonderful.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Arrogrant, "more intelligent", and believing that all people who fill in Roman Catholic are stupid and dumb people.

Atheists aren't just on top of a high horse, they are on top of about 50 stables of horses.

People who don't believe and God and yet tick the Roman Catholic box on the census form are less intelligent than the people who are able to complete the form correctly. Unless they have an underlying motive for doing so, it just highlights their ignorance of the question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

You should have to pass some sort of IQ test before filling out the census. :(

That person was questioning the intelligence of people who filled in catholic despite not being catholic, not saying "that all people who fill in Roman Catholic are stupid and dumb people."

If you're going to criticise someone please criticise what they actually said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,541 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

not in ireland, but i find it staggering that 84% of people still identify as catholic.
    Im sure my mother had everyone in or house down as catholic, even though noone has gone to mass outside of a wedding or a funeral in 5 years.

Whats going on with all the mauritians? Gone from a population of 600 to almost 3000 in 5 years.
    And the 1500 with no nationality??? where are they from, gazza or western sahara??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

What's with the atheist-bashing as if ALL atheists are smug and arrogant and on their high horse? Seems kinda like people are bending over backwards to show how tolerant they are towards religious people, with the result that they condemn another group in its entirety. Go them.
    KeithAFC wrote: »
    For me this is proof that liberalism and Atheism can't be combined.
    Yes they can. How is it "proof"?
    KeithAFC wrote: »
    I think it is rather simple. Are you religious or not. Say no. It really isn't difficult. Obviously a lot of people have put down religious.
    That question wasn't asked on the form in those words. Many people genuinely believe that they're supposed to state the religion they were baptised, even if they don't practise any more. I'm an atheist but I was baptised a catholic and I didn't do anything that removed that official demarcation of me to be fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Dudess wrote: »
    I'm an atheist but I was baptised a catholic and I didn't do anything that removed that official demarcation of me to be fair.

And you can't get rid of it. I've gotten to the point where I can't be buried in one of their graveyards or married in one of their churches, best that can be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

People who don't believe and God and yet tick the Roman Catholic box on the census form are less intelligent than the people who are able to complete the form correctly. Unless they have an underlying motive for doing so, it just highlights their ignorance of the question.
    amacachi wrote: »
    And you can't get rid of it. I've gotten to the point where I can't be buried in one of their graveyards or married in one of their churches, best that can be done.

Whether she got rid of it, or not, by sending some form to the Pope is irrelevant to what she puts down on the census. Its legal to not leave the Church by the Churches rules, and still declare yourself an atheist.
    What's with the atheist-bashing as if ALL atheists are smug and arrogant and on their high horse?

The reason why atheists are disliked is simples. Catholicism is, for all intents and purposes, dead. It is a religion of old people. In some Dublin parishes < 10% of people go to mass, and I suppose it is less than for twenty year olds.

That makes the modern Atheist's claim of being surrounded and oppressed by Christianity a joke. Then there is the arrogance. If you are an atheist in 2012, you are entirely normal, a man of limited to mediocre intelligence. In fact this is clear from the way they argue ( see Nial Sparky). Richard Feynman called nobody a fool, because the real smart don't need to. The mediocre trend to insults, as we have seen here, and in every thread they pollute.

( As an aside here, my pantheon of scientific heroes goes Feynman, Einstein, and Maxwell. The latter was the 3rd most important man in science and a presbyter and theologian, a priest. he is one of many Christian scientists, or priest scientists.).

Then there is the incessant whining about minor cultural artefacts left over from our past, like all societies. Religious schools set up by Catholic Church when Catholics had limited access to education; schools which aren't really that religious, and don't employ any religious ( the modern atheist whines about indoctrination, but he probably went to one); a few bells at 6pm; a few crosses on the walls in Hospitals once set up by religious orders, and owned by the State now. The most extreme muslim - not that we have many extremists - in Ireland probably doesn't give a sh*ite about this.

Then there is the fact that they never shut up. The pdf of the highlights of the census, which is really beautifully produced, runs to 122 pages with graphs on each page, and interesting details throughout. Despite their commitment to science, the other data is not important, and the New Atheist has polluted every thread with his dull whiny rambling about cultural Catholics. He didn't like one statistic and every debate, in every forum, on the census is about that one statistic.

total and utter bores and keyboard warriors to a man.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

Anyone wrote: »
    Even if theres a majority of people wanting it?
    The state has no obligation to any religios grouping, to follow your logic the state should have to build tesco stores for tesco shoppers because the majority want it! Doh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

Yeah but it makes it harder to argue for non-denominational schools if the majority of people are describing themselves as Catholics in the census and the church and the like are banging on about the census results and how that makes us a Catholic country etc etc.
    No it doesnt make it harder, because religon has no place in schools, thats why they build churches, mosques, temples etc.
    Would you accept that the state is obligated to build schools for blue eyed children only, because the majority describe themselves as blue eyed? same logic applies

The stats for Irish are hilarious. Supposedly 41% can speak Irish but a quarter of those admit to never doing so and another third to speaking it less than once a week. Brilliant stuff.

lividduck wrote: »
    No it doesnt make it harder, because religon has no place in schools, thats why they build churches, mosques, temples etc.
    Would you accept that the state is obligated to build schools for blue eyed children only, because the majority describe themselves as blue eyed? same logic applies

These are all hopeless arguments. Pluralistic societies have always tried to accommodate divergent views, and eye colours is not a view, or a philosophy of life. Religion is.

The stats for Irish are hilarious. Supposedly 41% can speak Irish but a quarter of those admit to never doing so and another third to speaking it less than once a week. Brilliant stuff.

I can speak French but I speak it less than once a year. Surely you can understand this simple logic?

I can speak French but I speak it less than once a year. Surely you can understand this simple logic?

Anything to suggest I can't? There's a difference in fluency and people putting down on a census form that they can speak a language. I wouldn't claim to be able to speak Irish but can do it better than all but one of the people I know who put down that they can.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

That makes the modern Atheist's claim of being surrounded and oppressed by Christianity a joke. Then there is the arrogance. If you are an atheist in 2012, you are entirely normal, a man of limited to mediocre intelligence. In fact this is clear from the way they argue ( see Nial Sparky). Richard Feynman called nobody a fool, because the real smart don't need to. The mediocre trend to insults, as we have seen here, and in every thread they pollute.

I made no such insult. I simply claimed that if somebody doesn't understand a simple question on a census form then they're by definition less intelligent than people who can answer the question correctly. I think it's quite ironic how you stereotype entire groups of people based on something as thin as religious belief and can't realise that by doing so, you're acting like "a man of limited to mediocre intelligence". Hypocrisy at its finest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

English 1st place (Four Million+ speakers).
    Polish 2nd place (120.000 speakers).
    Irish 3rd place (82.600 speakers).
    French 4th place (56.000 speakers).

So Polish is now entrenched as the 2nd spoken language in the state, with 120.000 speakers in the latest findings, and this despite the mass exodus of Poles since the economic downturn! So what does this say about the 1st official language of the state, with Irish now definately deligated to third place with just 82.000 people (1.8%) of the Irish population claiming that they speak Irish on a daily basis! There is of course much more detail to these findings, all of which can be found on the RTE link below.

Source RTE News. http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0329/divorce-rate-up-150-since-2002-census.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Anyone who actually gives a ****e will be on the Gaeilge forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

I thought 'Cursing' was our official first language :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

i think all we've learned from this census is that irish people have no fcuking clue how to fill out forms accurately

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

More the reason to invest in the future of the language. I'm happy to have Polish preserve their language, even far away from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Sutch, can you give your norn iron prejudices a break for a few hours and take your unionist ass off to boards.co.uk or something. Your statistical butcherings completely bypass the actual number of people who claimed to speak Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

polish is a great langauge if you give it a chance..

LordSutch wrote: »
    English 1st place (One Million+ speakers).
    Polish 2nd place (120.000 speakers).
    Irish 3rd place (82.600 speakers).
    French 4th place (56.000 speakers).

So Polish is now entrenched as the 2nd spoken language in the state, with 120.000 speakers in the latest findings, and this despite the mass exodus of Poles since the economic downturn! So what does this say about the 1st official language of the state, with Irish now definately deligated to third place with just 82.000 people (1.8%) of the Irish population claiming that they speak Irish on a daily basis! There is of course much more detail to these findings, all of which can be found on the RTE link below.

Source RTE News. http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0329/divorce-rate-up-150-since-2002-census.html

There's not been a mass exodus of Polish since the last census.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

FruitLover wrote: »
    Anyone who actually gives a ****e will be on the Gaeilge forum.

They'll come. They always do...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Threads merged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

I wish I could speak Irish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Make speaking as Gaeilge a requirement for getting social welfare benefits and you will soon see it shoot back up to its rightful place. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

Not too surprising really.

Only a few dozen or so speak Irish exclusivey now anyway.

The few thousand who claim to do so, do that to claim grants of some description.

• Advertisement

The few thousand who claim to do so, do that to claim grants of some description.
    By "a few thousand" you mean "a few million", right champ?

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    By "a few thousand" you mean "a few million", right champ?

No

dlofnep wrote: »
    More the reason to invest in the future of the language. I'm happy to have Polish preserve their language, even far away from home.

Would you be happy to see a ****ton of state spending going towards it?

LOL!

I speak Irish daily, and don't get any grant.. But if I can - let me know - I'm all for free monies.

LOL!

I speak Irish daily, and don't get any grant.. But if I can - let me know - I'm all for free monies.

You must have little else to do with your life

No
    Oh right, so on top of not bothering to read the thread or census, you've decided to declare the death of a language that is growing daily. Wrap it up with claiming Irish people are drunks and those bally natives can't handle their firewater, please.

Don't tell me, noddy, right?

Oh right, so on top of not bothering to read the thread or census, you've decided to declare the death of a language that is growing daily. Wrap it up with claiming Irish people are drunks and those bally natives can't handle their firewater, please.

Don't tell me, noddy, right?

The thread I contributed to was merged with some other argument.

We seem to be at cross purposes, noddy.

The thread I contributed to was merged with some other argument.
    I don't appear to be discussing with anyone but you, who managed to completely badly mistake the facts thus presented.

And where are you from by the way?

You must have little else to do with your life

Nah, just that and doing your ma.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

It's not about what people believe, it's about filling in the form correctly.

Actually when it comes down to a question about religion on the census it is entirely about what people believe.

• Advertisement

Nah, just that and doing your ma.

Smooth.:rolleyes:

I don't appear to be discussing with anyone but you, who managed to completely badly mistake the facts thus presented.

And where are you from by the way?

A better place than thou

• Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

I trust you can back that claim up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

The Irish stat is a lot of nonsense to be honest. I don't think that figure can be taken seriously.

A better place than thou
    Doubtful laddie, doubtful.

Actually when it comes down to a question about religion on the census it is entirely about what people believe.
    If someone doesn't believe that the bread literally turns into the body of Christ for Communion then they're not Catholic, simple as.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

perhaps they should add a second religion question on the census with a simple yes or no option. "Are you a practicing member of the religion you ticked above (if you ticked no religion, disregard)?"

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭omega666

So instead of a major decline in the RCC they actually had a bigger increase than the atheists!!

With all the polls in favor of atheism and catholic bashing threads here on boards over the last few years it seems the whole 6% of atheists must be boards members!

omega666 wrote: »
    So instead of a major decline in the RCC they actually had a bigger increase than the atheists!!

Not proportionally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭omega666

Not proportionally.

Dosen't matter, it's still the vast majority by a loooong....way and increasing
    in numbers more than any other religion or non religion.

Advertisement