Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultravox-New Album

Options
  • 29-03-2012 12:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭

U L T R A V O X
    ‘BRILLIANT’

the brand new studio album from
    Midge Ure / Billy Currie / Chris Cross / Warren Cann

Release: May 28th on EMI Records

EMI are proud to announce the return of Ultravox with their first studio album in 28 years. Following on from the sold-out Return To Eden reformation shows in 2009, the classic Ultravox line-up has recorded a 12-track collection of brand new songs which will be released on May 28th ahead of a full UK tour in September and October.

Dramatic, passionate and truly epic in scale and sound, ‘Brilliant’ is not only a prescient reminder of how great this reborn band are, but an exciting and vital addition to an extraordinary catalogue of music which today sounds more current and influential than ever.

Emerging from the new wave and electro scenes of the late 70’s, Ultravox fashioned a form of electronic rock music that was uniquely powerful and delivered massive hits through the 1980’s such as ‘Hymn’, ‘Dancing With Tears In My Eyes’, ‘The Voice’, ‘Reap The Wild Wind’, ‘Love’s Great Adventure’, ‘We Came To Dance’ and of course the timeless and atmospheric ‘Vienna’.

‘Brilliant’ sees Ultravox expanding their classic sonic template and reminding us of their strength as songwriters of the highest calibre. Full details of the album will be revealed soon along with the thirteen-date tour they will be embarking on later this year.

The tracklisting for ‘Brilliant’ is as follows:

Live Again
    Flow
    Brilliant
    The Change
    Rise
    Remembering
    Hello
    This One
    Fall
    Let It Lie
    Satellite
    Contact

http://www.ultravox.org.uk/index.shtml

I'm looking forward to the new album release in may and UK tour .:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭GoldenTickets

Ah come on lads...

We must be through the bottom of the barrel and scraping at bare earth at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

^ Considering the albums not released until May and UK tours have to be announced yet ???

You ( I assume) haven't seen them in concert on their 2009/10 tour either

• Registered Users Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Well, I wouldn't mind listening to some of the classics live.

Mide Ure issues a quick statement on the new album release

And a taster of ...http://yfrog.com/jbvmhz

• Registered Users Posts: 16 moogyfoogy

Can't wait for the new album. A very underrated band they were. Most people only know them for two songs (Vienna & Dancing with Tears)I saw them in the Olympia in 2009 and was blown away. Brilliant musicians.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

Still bothers me I couldn't make the 2009 Olympia show.

If Ireland is included this time, Im sooo there.

"The Thin Wall" was the 2nd single I ever bought, 1982 I think.

moogyfoogy wrote: »
    Can't wait for the new album. A very underrated band they were. Most people only know them for two songs (Vienna & Dancing with Tears)I saw them in the Olympia in 2009 and was blown away. Brilliant musicians.
    Indeed ...the whole of the Vienna album is so dark and mysterious, from the classic opening instrumental track Astradyne, New Europeans ,Private Lives ,Passing Strangers,Sleepwalk ,Mr X ,Western Promise ,Vienna , ' All Stood Stilll ' and not a bad track on there.

Rage In Eden has the brilliant , The Voice,We Stand Alone,Rage In Eden,I Remember (Death In The Afternoon) ,Thin Wall .

Quartet has Reap The Wild Wind,Mine For Life ,Hymn ,When The Scream Subsides ,Cut And Run

Lament is another great album which peaked at no.8 on the UK album chart and was certified Gold by the BPI in June 1984 for 100,000 copies sold. It also reached 25 in Germany and 115 in the United States

poundhound wrote: »
    Still bothers me I couldn't make the 2009 Olympia show.

If Ireland is included this time, Im sooo there.

"The Thin Wall" was the 2nd single I ever bought, 1982 I think.

I first came across Ultravox back in 1980 when a friend gave me a loan of the Systems Of Romance album (when John Fox was original lead singer with Warren Cann on drums )

I then saw the current line up of Midge Ure , Chris Cross ,Billy Currie and Warren Cann in the St Francis Xavier Hall Dublin in 1982 and had to wait until 2010 when I saw them again at the Liverpool Philharmonic....well worth the wait .

There seems to have been some on going problems over last year or two with the release of the new album 'Brilliant' and the title has raised a few eyebrows with many Ultravox fans expecting a more 'Ultravoxian' title ( ' Brillintina ' was one suggestion for a title ) but we'll have to wait until the album release in May to give opinion .

Hope you get around to seeing them on this tour poundhound .

At last ... Ultravoxs brand new single from the forthcoming album of the same name ' Brilliant ' .I love it ... it feels like they haven't been away :D

http://soundcloud.com/dominic-c-producer/ultravoxs-forthcoming-new

^ World exclusive

Confirmed by Midge Ure on Facebook this weekend, no Dublin date this time around, due to lack of available venue.

I've bought my ticket through Ticketmaster for the Manchester concert in Sept .Expecting the new album to arrive by post any day now to

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Jim_Kiy

Sounds better than what I would have reasonably expected :cool:

Album on sale next monday (28th May), although HMV tend to put it on sale when the stock arrives, i.e. this Friday.

Trip to Manchester looming..........mmmm?

Confirmed by Midge Ure on Facebook this weekend, no Dublin date this time around, due to lack of available venue.

An update from Midge on tour tour date situation...

Hi All
    Just to clarify the touring situation as it stands. I know some people are a little disappointed we are not playing venues near you or even returning to some we did on the last tour which seem to have disappeared this time round. Contrary to popular belief we don't get to choose where to and where not to perform. Unfortunately the period when we are going out on tour so are a lot of other artists so availability for most of the venues is pretty thin. This gives us the choice of doing what we can or not doing any. Believe me we would have loved to return to Edinburgh, Brighton, Dublin etc but the fates are against us for now.
    Having said all this we are really looking forward to getting out there and making a glorious noise again.
    I hope to see you all wherever we stop and plug in!
    Midge

Jim_Kiy wrote: »
    Sounds better than what I would have reasonably expected :cool:
    I've heard some of the album tracks and like what I've heard .You can listen to 4 streamed tracks from the new album tomorrow on facebook Here

I tunes are selling it on Fri 25th.

Ive sampled all the songs on itunes and its sounds great!

Bought the album on itunes last night and listened to it commuting to work this morning.

Fantastic stuff!

One Brilliant cd ,one special edition A-4 print and ticket for the Manchester concert in the bag and the album is living up to it's title to with some gems to be found

My fav track at moement from the album .Great vocal from Midge , trobbing ,dual synth and sweet little string sounding interlude at 1.55followed by a soaring synth climax at 2.22 ...has the Ultravox DNA all over it :-)

Brilliant at number 21 in the Uk album charts :)

Decent enough review of the album to

http://popdose.com/album-review-ultravox-brilliant/

Latchy, what was the attendence like at the Olympia gig in 09?

A recent post on their FB page stated the Irish gigs were "a disaster" due to half full venues.

I think the quote came from the bands managment but either way, Im gutted their not playing Dublin this time around.

Latchy, what was the attendence like at the Olympia gig in 09?

A recent post on their FB page stated the Irish gigs were "a disaster" due to half full venues.

I think the quote came from the bands managment but either way, Im gutted their not playing Dublin this time around.
    I wasn 't at the Olympia gig in 09 poundhound so no idea on the attendence .I did see them in Dublin at the St Francis Xaviar Hall , way back in 1982 on their ' Lament ' tour and the Liverpool Philharmonic 'Return To Eden ' concert in 2010 which had a large enough attendence and great gig to .

The album reviews have been good in the main with Ultravox fans putting it on par with previous albums ie ,Vienna ,Lament , Quartet ,Rage In Eden but there has been no official promotional video of any of the album tracks which is a bit of a mystery and has left some dissapointed , although there has been lots of radio play in UK and Europe . Pity they won't be in Dublin this time ,I know they have added some more European dates to the tour . I'm going to see them in Manchester on 30th sept next and I've got my tour T shirt printed last week .

http://www.ultravox.org.uk/

Another great track from the album with shades of Rage In Eden ... Sleepwalk :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement