Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Restricted breed" dog list - funny question

• 29-03-2012 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭

Ok, so,

I have made it quite clear I find this list pathetic, and do not agree with it what so ever,

But, this may be a retarded statement/question, but take a look.

So, I can see that there are penalties for different offences for dogs, such as dog fouling, no identification etc. usually a 30€ on the spot fine,

Erm, but, I can see no where in the "control of dogs act" stating a penalty of breeching the muzzling or leash law for a resticted breed, can you?

Just somthing I thought I would point out.

I know you are supposed to by law have a restricted breed on a "short strong leash" and "muzzeled", but, supposing you don't, whats the penalty? *trolololololol*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭time lord

If its not a fixed penalty/ on the spot fine like not being muzzled then non compliance has to be dealt with by a court summons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

I think one major factor to look at is dog wardens not knowing their breeds as well as mixing up the laws.

That dog should have a muzzle and be on a short lead.

Why ?

An Akita is a restricted breed.

Its a husky

As i said it should be wearing a muzzle .

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Karlitto

garkane wrote: »

Control of dogs act is not the Dogs regulation act (or whatever its called)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Yeah Dre, thats very true, ive heard of people being stopped with Boxers being told to muzzle them...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I think one major factor to look at is dog wardens not knowing their breeds as well as mixing up the laws.

That dog should have a muzzle and be on a short lead.

Why ?

Akita an Akita is a restricted breed.

Its a husky

As i said it should be wearing a muzzle .

:rolleyes:

O.o, huh?

andreac wrote: »
    Yeah Dre, thats very true, ive heard of people being stopped with Boxers being told to muzzle them...:rolleyes:

Ah, now I get it.

Yea, I think we are all in agreement anyway, "restricted dogs list is a heap of turd"

FYI, I love boxers (I still, for the life of me cannot see why anyone would see them as aggresive....)

Actually, a friend sent me a link to a youtube video with the 10 most "dangerous" dogs, ****ing sickens me.... check it out, you won't be happy...(yes, boxers are on nearly every one of them)

Karlitto wrote: »
    Yea, I think we are all in agreement anyway, "restricted dogs list is a heap of turd"

It is and it isnt. The unfortunate thing is the human factor. The dogs on this list can do alot of damage if trained to be aggressive. Over in the UK Staffys are used as weapons, or status symbles. This has spread to here. The tougher the dog, the tougher you are.

So this is the law until they can put the time money and effort into a new law and start restricting certain owners instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I would love to see a good behaviour programme, you have your RB dog, you go through training and tests and gain some sort of a tag for your dog which exempts it from the muzzles and short leash part of the laws.

Is there anything like that out there?

Whispered wrote: »
    I would love to see a good behaviour programme, you have your RB dog, you go through training and tests and gain some sort of a tag for your dog which exempts it from the muzzles and short leash part of the laws.

Yes there is , its called canine good citizen award. I know somebody whos staffy has one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,901 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Erm, but, I can see no where in the "control of dogs act" stating a penalty of breeching the muzzling or leash law for a resticted breed, can you?

Just somthing I thought I would point out.

:confused: You quoted the Control of dogs act in your OP & the fines are for a breech of the same act.

Yes there is , its called canine good citizen award. I know somebody whos staffy has one.

But I don't think that exempts you from the CoD Act

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Whispered wrote: »

But having that award doesn't mean that your dog is exempt from the RB laws.

In Germany they brought in restrictive laws for certain breeds, my brother was living there at the time, their Rottie was assessed and passed, so he didn't have to wear a muzzle etc. But those exemptions were part of the law, nothing like that written into ours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

Karlitto, the original link I posted is a direct link to (Offences and penalties)Section 27 of the Control of Dogs Act 1986 which covers Section 19 and 31 of the same act. Section 19 and 31 of this act gives the minister for the environment a right to exercise his powers to make certain regulations and he chose to do so by creating the Restricted Breeds List and here is a link to that also.. http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1991/en/si/0123.html

All of that leads to your question being answered... ;)

gives the minister for the environment a right to exercise his powers to make certain regulations and he chose to do so

Exactly so the Minister has the authority to pretty much do as he pleases. The only significant change is that the Department of Agriculture is now responsible for animal welfare & presumably will take over dog control as well.

Whispered, good point,

I will look into it :)

Garkane,

Thanks, didn't put two and two together it seem, I just saw the "list of offenses and penalties", didn't see anything about the RB :D

Advertisement