Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor gone into Examinership

Options
  • 29-03-2012 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭

Meteor went into Examinership along with Eircom this morning. I am just wondering what does that mean for those with prepay credit on their phones and other services? Logically they should be treated as just another category of creditors!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

kn wrote: »
    Meteor went into Examinership along with Eircom this morning. I am just wondering what does that mean for those with prepay credit on their phones and other services? Logically they should be treated as just another category of creditors!
    It means they have 100days to come up with a recovery plan for their businesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Examinership is very different from liquidation or such.

Your pre-paid credit is fine, Meteor/Eircom will continue to do business.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Paulw wrote: »
    Examinership is very different from liquidation or such.

Your pre-paid credit is fine, Meteor/Eircom will continue to do business.

You won't see Eircom/Meteor suddenly shutting up shop don't worry.

Worse come to worse will be another company buying them for 1euro or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

However the OP is correct if you had a credit balance then you are just "another creditor" owed money and well down the list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

BrianD wrote: »
    However the OP is correct if you had a credit balance then you are just "another creditor" owed money and well down the list.

That would only happen if the company closes. As is, it's likely that both eircom and Meteor will continue as going concerns, even if they are stripped down and sold off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

jor el wrote: »
    That would only happen if the company closes. As is, it's likely that both eircom and Meteor will continue as going concerns, even if they are stripped down and sold off.

If another company takes over does that constitute a change in the T&C's for (Meteor) Bill Pay customers still under contract? will we have the option to opt out of the contract if a new company takes over. Just wondering

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

To be honest no unless the new company specifically changes your plans T&C's

• Registered Users Posts: 25,461 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Eircom has almost no value without customers so if they tried to wipe out the credit of existing PAYG customers, every one of them would walk to another n/w provider and never go back so that's unlikely to happen.

Their new HQ down by Heuston Station is a rented office block, I don't think they have any assets worth talking about (unless you count the exchanges) so shafting the customers is the last thing they are going to do or else the business will disappear overnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Meteor = the worst customer of all time in Ireland, absolutely shocking beyond belief, never ever again:eek:

jonnny68 wrote: »
    (insert network of choice depending on who you are)= the worst customer of all time in Ireland, absolutely shocking beyond belief, never ever again:eek:
    FYP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

good news that it is business as usual because the last thing the country needs is the collapse of the largest phone line provider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Meteor = the worst customer of all time in Ireland, absolutely shocking beyond belief, never ever again:eek:

I've been with Meteor for 4 years and I can't fault their customer service whatsoever (I assume you meant "customer service" in your reply :) )

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Astoundingly Meteor apparently lost money last year. That may just be funny accounting in eircom.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0330/breaking4.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Its a planned examinership. Every fine detail has already been worked out.
    No suppliers nor customers will be affected in anyway.

It's completely planned. Sure some debtors are taking a 90% cut. That's some vote of confidence in the plan:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0330/breaking4.html

• Registered Users Posts: 28,224 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

sandin wrote: »
    Its a planned examinership. Every fine detail has already been worked out.
    No suppliers nor customers will be affected in anyway.

That does not mean a Judge will grant it protection through examinership.

I'd have a heart attack on the spot if he didn't.

cookie1977 wrote: »
    I'd have a heart attack on the spot if he didn't.

There insolvent. Revenues are declining. It's been restructured so many times now by so many owners and each time it just gets more and more in debt.
    I think Liquidation is inevitable if some shareholders push for it. The profitable bits will be sold off and the first line lenders will get something back but the rest will be burned.
    The judge will try and protect the jobs which may save them today but he could be just putting off the inevitable. 5 years is a long time to look for protection against people you owe money to.

It might be insolvent for debt reasons but it's still got huge assets which have been profitable. Judge may be putting off inevitable but I'd still like to see them try a new plan that has a lot of backing from the debtors this time.

• Advertisement

It only had backing from the first line lenders I think. The rest are going to be roasted and that's where the problem will be. The judge may not be left with an option if pushed.

kelle wrote: »
    I've been with Meteor for 4 years and I can't fault their customer service whatsoever (I assume you meant "customer service" in your reply :) )
    i was with them since their inception and couldn't fault them up to about a year and a half ago, ive no idea what happened some people say a lot of people in meteor lost their jobs but they went from being a good network with helpful customer service to not giving a total f**k,absolutely everything took several phone calls, the log in on their website was broken for months they were fully aware of it and it took them 3+ months to fix something that should have taken hours,and then they claimed they were "experiencing extremely high volume of calls and apologized and said this would be rectified soon" after people complained about being over an hour on hold, this went on and on for months, by that time id left.

Have a look at the history on their facebook page assuming they haven't deleted all the thousands of comments berating Meteor for being the worst customer service ever, don't just take my word for it, search yourself on boards.ie:eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

Iv been with them for 6/7 years now and any issue i never had was sorted out right away.

If they do go out of business i wonder what all the people who come on hear to complain about them will do?

lala88 wrote: »
    Iv been with them for 6/7 years now and any issue i never had was sorted out right away.

If they do go out of business i wonder what all the people who come on hear to complain about them will do?
    their customer care is not good if you ring them but any time I emailed they were quite fast at not just replying with the stock answers but also sorting the issue out when I would copy the whole email conversation to ComReg and request a complaint reference from them!

foggy_lad wrote: »
    their customer care is not good if you ring them but any time I emailed they were quite fast at not just replying with the stock answers but also sorting the issue out when I would copy the whole email conversation to ComReg and request a complaint reference from them!

That is the only way I have ever had any issue resolved with them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

foggy_lad wrote: »

I rang them last week about some with my bill and they had it sorted by the next day just like they said they would.

I rang them last week about some with my bill and they had it sorted by the next day just like they said they would.

lucky you, yours is probably one of very few posts I've read on here with a good word to say about them

you have been incredibly lucky then, may i suggest you do a search on this forum and you'll see many threads slating Meteor and on their facebook page (if the comments haven't been removed by the admin) have a look at the history of the posts going back to last year, complaint after complaint day in, day out, i have never seen any company come in for such criticism before and rightfully so too.

If you are with them 7 years surely you must remember last year the fiasco regarding the log in not working on meteor.ie and it took months to fix and thousands of complaints, something as simple as this would take a few hours max to fix yet as far as i recall it took meteor a staggering 3 months before it was resolved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Cant understand why they introduced emobile when they all ready had Meteor and the parent in financial difficulties.

Advertisement