Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor gone into Examinership

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

jonnny68 wrote: »
    you have been incredibly lucky then, may i suggest you do a search on this forum and you'll see many threads slating Meteor and on their facebook page (if the comments haven't been removed by the admin) have a look at the history of the posts going back to last year, complaint after complaint day in, day out, i have never seen any company come in for such criticism before and rightfully so too.

If you are with them 7 years surely you must remember last year the fiasco regarding the log in not working on meteor.ie and it took months to fix and thousands of complaints, something as simple as this would take a few hours max to fix yet as far as i recall it took meteor a staggering 3 months before it was resolved.

You can really judge from hear though can you? Seeing as the posts hear will make up a very small percentage of there over all number of customers. Now if there was thounds of posts then maybe but only a fear doent give a real picture. Plus if you look alot of the time its the same people posting the same thing over and over.

I did have trouble with there online yes and it did take alonf time to sort but thats really been the only big problem iv had with them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭compsys

danjo-xx wrote: »
    Cant understand why they introduced emobile when they all ready had Meteor and the parent in financial difficulties.

It was a branding and marketing exercise and not as silly as you might think.

Over 85% of Meteor's customer base is PAYG, which usually isn't anywhere near as as profitable as bill pay. Also, Meteor's customer base is heavily skewed towards teenagers and college students who wouldn't always have a huge amount to spend on phones and credit (hence all the PAYG customers).

eMobile was launched by eircom to target mainly older, slightly richer, bill pay clients. So both brands were going for slightly different areas of the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,224 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

compsys wrote: »
    It was a branding and marketing exercise and not as silly as you might think.

Over 85% of Meteor's customer base is PAYG, which usually isn't anywhere near as as profitable as bill pay. Also, Meteor's customer base is heavily skewed towards teenagers and college students who wouldn't always have a huge amount to spend on phones and credit (hence all the PAYG customers).

eMobile was launched by eircom to target mainly older, slightly richer, bill pay clients. So both brands were going for slightly different areas of the market.

That still makes no sense, it would be a lot cheaper to do a marketing campaign than launch a whole new network.
    Going on your logic there every time a company wants to target a different market segment they would launch a new company.
    The real reason it a lot more obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

That still makes no sense, it would be a lot cheaper to do a marketing campaign than launch a whole new network.
    Going on your logic there every time a company wants to target a different market segment they would launch a new company.

Makes perfect sense tbh.

E.G. The KPN Network in the Netherlands targetted towards business users also has a second brand under the name "Hi" targetting at Students and younger users.

KPN: (All business like)
    http://www.kpn.com/prive/mobiel.htm

Hi!: (Younger Kids with trendy phones)
    http://www.hi.nl/Home.htm

Same with Meteor: (Smiley faces etc)
    http://www.meteor.ie/

eMobile: (More business orientated plans - Unlimited calling etc)
    http://www.emobile.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭compsys

Do you even know much about marketing and branding? Also, I'm talking about the creation of a new brand and not necessarily the creation of a whole new company. Brand creation makes makes perfect sense sometimes and is done by companies all over the world all the time. You probably just don't realise it half the time.

Do you know that the same company that owns FIAT also owns Ferrari? Two VERY different car brands that target two VERY different sets of customers. Do you honestly think FIAT could try sell FIAT cars to Ferrari customers just by doing 'a marketing campaign' and nothing more? I doubt it. SKODA and Audi are also owned by the same company and even have the same engines! However, they're two very different brands to target very different sets of customers.

Do you know that Bershka and Pull & Bear are owned by the same clothing company (Inditex) which owns Massimo Dutti? One sells cheap clothes to teenagers and the other sells more expensive clothes to people in their mid-30s onwards. Why do you think Indidex created a new brand and channel distribution for themselves when they wanted to target older customers?

Also, the skincare firm Nivea and La Prairie are also owned by the same company, Beiersdorf AG. A tub of Nivea moisturiser will set you back around €5. A tub of La Prairie 'skin cavier' will set you back around €350 (no kidding). Again, different brands, same company, all going after a different segment of the market.

I know many people who wouldn't go near Meteor because of its bad customer service and the fact that it's a brand mainly associated with kids and teenagers. Meteor themselves openly admit that that's the target market for their company and they've been very good at capturing it.

If you look at any of Meteor's adverts they're heavily aimed towards teenagers and young college students. So too is their website. Do you think many 50-year-old high-spending professional adults are going to sign up to Meteor on the back of that advertising?

Meteor/eircom wanted to tap into an older client base so decided to create a new brand to do this. All you have to do is look at the ads for eMobile to see how different they are to Meteor's. Also, Meteor didn't have to create a whole new network for emobile. They're the same network. They're just different brands so it's not as expensive an exercise as you'd think.

Often when a company wants to attract new customers they'll simply create a new marketing campaign to target those new customers (as you suggest). But when a particular company has become so associated with a particular segment of the market that sometimes doesn't work and that's when a company will create a new brand instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭JDxtra

This explains it perfectly:

Simpsons_Duff_Lite_Dry.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

They use Meteor's network, it's not like they had to invest in a load of mobile infrastructure. Plenty of companies try to disassociate their brands in this manner so that they have more appeal to different segments.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I thought eMobile was a very good example of a successful branding exercise myself.

Talk about putting lipstick on a pig, what.! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Does this mean people can break 2 year contracts they have with Meteor??

thebiglad wrote: »
    Does this mean people can break 2 year contracts they have with Meteor??

No

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 pleasereadme

It would be sorry to see eircom go,It's not nice when a company closes and people are out of jobs ,But I would be glan to see Meteor customer care team out of a job .Meteor has the worst customer care team I have evey come across. It would make me smile..So sorry I every became a Meteor customer .So Glad when contract is up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/eircom-to-exit-examinership-next-month-552492.html

Eircom is to exit examinership next month, after the Commercial Court approved a survival scheme for the troubled telecoms provider.

The court has accepted the examiner's recommendations for a five-year restructuring plan that provides for capital investment of €1.5bn in the telecoms business.

Eircom has around one million fixed line customers, is considered of strategic importance for Ireland's telecommunications and it owns the country's third largest mobile operator Meteor.

The plan will see 1,000 voluntary redundancies from a workforce of 6,000 as well as a significant write-down in debt with senior secured creditors taking cuts of between 15 and 90%.

Mr Justice Peter Kelly said he was satisfied that the scheme was for the overall benefit of creditors, the company, and the company's employees.

He also commended the examiner for concluding the largest examinership in the history of the state
    well within the 100 days limit laid down by statute.

Eircom will exit court protection on June 11.

Does that mean they already have the 1000 voluntary redundancies agreed to?

Advertisement