Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

U.S lotto up to half a billion dollars.

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Babybuff

I'd pis$ a lot of people off and enjoy every minute of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44,501 ✭✭✭✭Deki

I would keep half for me and have fun giving the rest away. Think how surprised some people would be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

latenia wrote: »
    It's unhealthy for society to hand out a prize that big for doing no more than buying a raffle ticket. What if Dick Cheney won? Or Bill O'Reilly? Or Vanilla Ice? Or a murderer or pedo? How would you feel then?

Would say fair play to them - they have the same chance as anyone else. Life itself is nothing more than a raffle anyway.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

FanadMan wrote: »
    Would say fair play to them - they have the same chance as anyone else. Life itself is nothing more than a raffle anyway.....

So say Larry Murphy or Bertie Ahern or Sean Fitzpatrick won €100M on the euromillions you'd say 'fair play?' The public would give up all hope.

davet82 wrote: »
    its more like 1/4 billion convert it to euro and its even less

Hmm?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I swung by a gas station on the way home, and picked up my tickets. There was a line at the counter: You didn't have to say what it was you were buying, you just said a number. eg, I said "Five, please", and unless I qualified it, it was assumed I meant lottery tickets.

NTM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

So say Larry Murphy or Bertie Ahern or Sean Fitzpatrick won €100M on the euromillions you'd say 'fair play?' The public would give up all hope.

Yeah, if you buy a ticket you have the right to win it. If Larry Murphy or Bertie Ahern or Sean Fitzpatrick won it then the public would prob give up all hope in the lottery and little else. Of course I'd feel jealous - I feel that way whenever the jackpot is won but I'm not bothered in the least who wins it - that's just sour grapes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

It's unhealthy for society to hand out a prize that big for doing no more than buying a raffle ticket. What if Dick Cheney won? Or Bill O'Reilly? Or Vanilla Ice? Or a murderer or pedo? How would you feel then?

Couldn't give a fook who won it tbh, if a deserving person won it or a child molester won it, it's all the same to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

lol at putting bertie in with larry, we voted for bertie more than once :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I remember watching a programme called lotto losers, for the most part it focused on Americans who had frittered away they're millions. Some really sad stories in there, a few even involving murders and kidnappings. For all the good the money can do, it can bring a lot of misery as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

I swung by a gas station on the way home, and picked up my tickets. There was a line at the counter: You didn't have to say what it was you were buying, you just said a number. eg, I said "Five, please", and unless I qualified it, it was assumed I meant lottery tickets.

NTM

Got mine at a beer store in PA at lunchtime yesterday and the place was deserted. The lads in the pool at work are getting seriously carried away. Already calculating how much tax to have to pay, and googling about opening Swiss bank accounts and which Caribbean islands are for sale. That's the fun of it, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

It's a shame you can't keep it a secret. If I won it and they gave out my name as "Blitzie from Smalltown, Cork", though there are 6 people with the same name here, it probably wouldn't take long for people to work out who it was. The fleet of supercars outside my house would probably give it away. I'd be properly worried about my family's safety after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

You can enter and purchase online.

http://www.lotteryusa.com/lottery/FAQS.html

I would buy a nice big mansion, a few new cars and open my own dog shelter :-)

I'd be very careful spending any money on this site considering
    1. The domain is registered on GoDaddy and seems to have no affiliation at all with the official lottery crowd.
    2. The domain information is hidden by domainsbyproxy.com whcih makes it look even more suspicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

jimoc wrote: »
    You can enthIer and purchase online.

I'd be very careful spending any money on this site considering
    1. The domain is registered on GoDaddy and seems to have no affiliation at all with the official lottery crowd.
    2. The domain information is hidden by domainsbyproxy.com whcih makes it look even more suspicious.

Yea I, got the same feeling to.
    So does anyone know where online you can play the mega millions legitimately?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

The state of Illinois is the only one I know of that allows the purchase of lottery tickets online, and Illinois DOES participate in Mega Millions. I have no idea about any rules regarding residency, citizenship, etc.

http://www.megamillions.com/whereto/states_il.asp

http://www.illinoislottery.com/

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Jackpot now at $640 Million.
    Despite what others say there are a few states including California that do not ave any tax on lottery winnings.
    Most states have however a tax ranging from 3% to 8% which is not too bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Prosper

Cant register for the 640m draw - what am i diong wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭thethingis

Gandhi wrote: »
    The state of Illinois is the only one I know of that allows the purchase of lottery tickets online, and Illinois DOES participate in Mega Millions. I have no idea about any rules regarding residency, citizenship, etc.

http://www.megamillions.com/whereto/states_il.asp

http://www.illinoislottery.com/

That would be a bitch wouldnt it.
    Congrats you have won.

Oh wait you are from Cavan, Co Germany........... oh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Jackpot now at $640 Million.
    Despite what others say there are a few states including California that do not ave any tax on lottery winnings.
    Most states have however a tax ranging from 3% to 8% which is not too bad.

There's federal tax as well. all in all about 25% will be taxed away depending on state.

Draw takes place at 4am Irish time.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 174 ✭✭troposphere

Don't normally play but picked up a few tickets.

edit: the only person I know that got lucky (scratch ticket, think it was $100,000 year for life) ended up dying from a drug overdose 2 or 3 years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭thethingis

Don't normally play but picked up a few tickets.

edit: the only person I know that got lucky (scratch ticket, think it was $100,000 year for life) ended up dying from a drug overdose 2 or 3 years later.

How did you play? Did you play on an official site?
    url / www please .........

Can I play from Ireland?

thethingis wrote: »
    How did you play? Did you play on an official site?
    url / www please .........

Can I play from Ireland?

I am in the US, only the state of Illinois sells tickets online but it asks you to check a box to confirm you are buying the ticket while being actually in the state of Illinois.

https://www.myillinoislottery.com/en-us/games/megamillions.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

I am in Illinois and I am buying the tickets. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

$462 million cash out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

davet82 wrote: »
    they tax you on half it so its more like 1/4 billion convert it to euro and its even less, so its not worth doing it :P

Dont they also pay you annually as opposed to a lump sum?

Healio wrote: »
    Dont they also pay you annually as opposed to a lump sum?

You can choose annually or lump sum (which pays less) but I think I was reading earlier that even if you decide to take the half billion in a lump sum they will only be able to pay it out over 26 months. Not sure about paying 1/2 of it in tax. It is probably 25-30% federal tax and then whatever different rates each state has.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I usually hate when other people say it about the Euromillions etc. but I just don't like the idea of so much money going like this.
    Obviously if I were in one of the participating states I'd be head of the queue though. :pac:

I didn't win

46-23-38-4-2 megaball 23

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44,501 ✭✭✭✭Deki

I'm not looking until morning- going to take my dreams with me to bed.:p;):D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

You can choose annually or lump sum (which pays less)

The lump sum doesn't actually pay less. It's the NPV of the $500 million payed out over time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I'm afraid to say I don't appear to be a millionare after that draw either.

Actually, I don't believe I as much as won a nickel, unless the office pool lucked out.

Jackpot ended up at $656,000,000, 3 winners each share $218,000,000.
    Tickets brought in Red Bud IL, a small farming town of 3,500 outside St Louis, Milford MD outside Baltimore and Northeast Kansas.
    We might never know who won in IL and MD because these states allow the winner to remain anonymous, however the IL winner will have to go public if he/she wants that money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

You can enter and purchase online.

Cheers. Entered cool.gif

That looks like the dodgiest website ever. From the first line of the FAQs:
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Q. Can lottery tickets be purchased online?[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]A. Yes. Our partnership with The Lotter allows you to purchase lottery tickets online. Our partner buys your ticket in-store on your behalf, allowing you to play the lottery online.[/FONT]
    Eh, great spelling and sentence composition there...

Shocking Update
    Md. woman won't share $105M lotto jackpot with McD's co-workers:eek:

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/what_mega_mess_wHA9HVdfxA1VDSqWn58KtJ#ixzz1qu4WEKX5

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

Shocking Update
    Md. woman won't share $105M lotto jackpot with McD's co-workers:eek:

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/what_mega_mess_wHA9HVdfxA1VDSqWn58KtJ#ixzz1qu4WEKX5

Shame if she is a liar. No honour

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

wilkie2006 wrote: »
    That looks like the dodgiest website ever. From the first line of the FAQs:

Eh, great spelling and sentence composition there...

Yeah I noticed that mistake. Saved me parting with my €

Its obvious she has not won the lottery and Just wants her 15 minutes of fame, what a twisted unintelligent idiot.
    Id say she has the IQ of a toddler.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2125071/Mega-Millions-winner-Mirlande-Wilson-I-hid-ticket-McDonalds.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

I would entrust it to the government.

Advertisement