Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming Monitor

Options
  • 29-03-2012 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi Guys,

I'm looking to buy a new gaming monitor as my samsung is starting to give up the ghost,

So all I need it for is BF3 and future games nothing else bar the odd move been watched, looking to spend 200-300 if possible and around the 22"- 26" flexible on that I currently have a 24"

My graphic card if any use is an amd 6950 2gb

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭TheAmateur

If it's mostly for gaming, and you mostly play fast fps games, and you have that budget, you could start looking into 120Hz monitors (aka active 3D monitors). Of course, it's not the active 3D aspect which is of interest to gamers. The benefit of these monitors for gaming is that if your GPU can output the game at 120fps, you'll see double the frames you are at present. Not sure how much of a benefit it'd give you in BF3 though, as it's unlikely that you're running that game at 120fps (not impossible though).
    The current drawback to 120Hz monitors is that they use TN panels, which are usually inferior to IPS panels for colour reproduction and clarity. On the flipside, the advantage of a TN panel over an IPS panel is a quicker response time (2ms vs 8ms). There's quite a bit of debate over how important this difference is.
    Here's a list of 120Hz monitors, from 2011, so there have been a few new ones released since then but it's a good start.
    Here's a decent IPS (EDIT:e-IPS, thanks ShadowHearth!) monitor within your budget. Dell U2412M - €249.
    Here's a well-recommended TN monitor whose brother (the VH236H) is the official MLG monitor. ASUS VE248H - €170.
    And finally, here is something kinda crazy, a 27", 2560X1440 monitor one of the members here has just bought from Korea, which has the same panel as the new iMac and some other high-end monitors, for about €280. Not for the feint-of-heart! Here is his thread, and here is the eBay listing.
    Hopefully that's some food for thought :D. A good place to lurk and absorb more (read: waaay too much :P) info about gaming monitors is the overclock.net forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I am not sure 100%, but that dell you mentioned is not proper ips. It has only 16million colors, so it's not proper ips.

Still good monitor, but a bit misleading.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭TheAmateur

I am not sure 100%, but that dell you mentioned is not proper ips. It has only 16million colors, so it's not proper ips.

Still good monitor, but a bit misleading.

You are 100% correct, my mistake! Just checked there and Dell call it eIPS, which seems to be a cheaper version of IPS with increased transparency, narrower viewing angles and 6-bit vs 8-bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

http://zronvc.co.uk/post/19944336831/a-recommended-gaming-setup-for-march-2012 ziggy knows nothing about headphones but he's pretty keen on monitors.

Advertisement