Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brewing Licence

Options
  • 29-03-2012 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Could someone tell me how you would go about getting a brewer's licence in Ireland , how much it costs and what criteria you have to satisfy to obtain one. Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Could someone tell me how you would go about getting a brewer's licence in Ireland
    Apply to your local Revenue office.
    how much it costs
    Not much. A couple of hundred.
    and what criteria you have to satisfy to obtain one.
    You must have a secure premises. It must meet the relevant planning laws and your operation must be certified safe for food production. You must have a bond in place with your bank. The amount of the bond is set by your Revenue officer and is based on the capacity of your brewery.

There's more here, but the best people to speak to now are your local Revenue office and get them to talk you through it. They may have to dig out the paperwork and learn the ropes too if they don't already have a brewery on their books, so allow plenty of time to get through the red tape.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 lad_chonamara

Thanks for that, hard to find much info on the internet about it

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

Also talk to any craft brewers who have made the leap.

You might be able to meet some at beer festivals.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I'm making some vodka, I presume I don't need a licence unless I sell it? Is it ok to share with friends legally.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I don't think it's legal to distill spirits in ireland without a license.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Yeah i think you can't legally distill... can;t figure where i read that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

I'm making some vodka, I presume I don't need a licence unless I sell it? Is it ok to share with friends legally.

Theres an old thread on this, but the distillation of spirits in Ireland is illegal without a license. Plain and simple.

There are issues with regard to other methods of producing highly concentrated alcohol (like freeze concentration) that could be a grey area, and there are robust yeasts that can get quite high alcohol concentration without distillation.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

You can't in Ireland without a licence, in several countries you can but not in backwards Ireland, the prevailing myths surrounding it probably mean no change in the foreseeable future.

Unless you are talking about brewing vodka kits, with no distillation. These are just neutral wines which are treated with carbon to reduce smell & taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

A brewers licence costs €500 per annum, its renewable every september and is obtained from the revenue. To obtain a brewers licence you must pay a bond of 50% of the duty you expect to pay in the year. As far as I remember, this works out at about 12c per 500ml of 4.5% beer, its based on abv.

And in relation to distilling, In Ireland it is illegal to distill without a licence, regardless of whether you intend to sell it or not.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

mmcn90 wrote: »
    you must pay a bond
    Well, you don't actually pay anything, other than the bank fees to keep the bond in place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

BeerNut wrote: »
    mmcn90 wrote: »
    you must pay a bond
    Well, you don't actually pay anything, other than the bank fees to keep the bond in place.

Yeah, the bond is given to them at the start of the year, and you pay the rest of the duty as it occurs. At the end of the year the bond is equal to the duty due from a microbrewer, the rest is refunded.

Advertisement