Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French document Is it worth doing one?

• 29-03-2012 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭

Many people I've asked haven't done a document as they don't want to. I'm thinking of making a new one and I as I'd rather not be tested with 12mins of questions which I might not know how to answer .

I did the oral last year I had one but I haven't got that document anymore plus I couldn't speak about it as well as I thought an that holiday was years ago.

If you do a document on a holiday with say family and a friend? Can I bring in a picture of the place? or do I need a picture of us all together as I don't have a picture of that an I'd rather use a picture of the place and print it out?

I would do a favourite singer but would that be hard to do? or would it need to be a french singer?

What type of information would I need to know?
    I'm assuming where we stayed, weather, what I did , food?
    the accommodation? anything else I'd need to include?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

If I'm honest you've really left it too late :S

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

I've mine done since about November.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

I havent done mine yet...I had one but it just doesnt have enough info on it so I'll probably bring a picture from my school trip to France. I dont think I'm arsed to show that I can rote learn, but I think they kind of expect you to have one so :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I've just finished mine a while ago , last year I had it done much earlier, I think we may have even started it in 5th year.
    I completely forgot about the document as the teachers haven't even mentioned or done any work in helping us prepare or even asked about our document, we've not even done any oral practice. I know it's last minute i think I can still pull it off with practice and I know what last years was like .

I have one done up now it's about a page long I'll probably add more.
    I just spoke about the weather , what I did , how long it took to get there, where I stayed and how long I was there and the food. I'm not sure what else to add.

My oral isn't until the 2nd week after easter back. I was going to spend easter practicing and for the oral as I know someone who's studying french that will help me.

Patchy~ wrote: »
    I havent done mine yet...I had one but it just doesnt have enough info on it so I'll probably bring a picture from my school trip to France. I dont think I'm arsed to show that I can rote learn, but I think they kind of expect you to have one so :rolleyes:

You only bring in the picture anyway, you don't bring in the written up part. We weren't allowed the written part in with us last year . It's just to help remember and practice really.

• Advertisement

Yeah I know :P My French is the second week too, I'll probably pick one over the Easter and ask my teacher and the other teacher to help me with it, you could do that too. be grand :D

Yeah I know :P My French is the second week too, I'll probably pick one over the Easter and ask my teacher and the other teacher to help me with it, you could do that too. be grand :D

Yeah I only have my french 3 times a week , I don't know if anyone else is even doing a document everyone I've asked have said they're not. I was thinking I should as I'd rather not have them fire loads more questions to make up the 12mins and be able to speak about a holiday I guess there pretty straight forward. I messed up my last french oral, I know how hard it can be .
    I had great two french teachers last year so helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Manic2

I'm in a similar situation!

I have to make one tonight, but I don't know what to do it on, does anyone have any ideas what I could do? I'm only doing pass so I guess it doesn't have to be extravagant! :P

What's the best/easiest thing to do?
    I'm practically illiterate when it comes to French so the next 2 weeks will consist of me crying, but I gotta start somewhere :pac:

Yeah I only have my french 3 times a week , I don't know if anyone else is even doing a document everyone I've asked have said they're not. I was thinking I should as I'd rather not have them fire loads more questions to make up the 12mins and be able to speak about a holiday I guess there pretty straight forward. I messed up my last french oral, I know how hard it can be .
    I had great two french teachers last year so helpful.
    Thats a thing I'm unsure of - do you have to talk about your document for 12 minutes or what? Like the whole thing? :eek: I just want to mention it a bit or something, might just not bring it, such a headwrecker.

Thats a thing I'm unsure of - do you have to talk about your document for 12 minutes or what? Like the whole thing? :eek: I just want to mention it a bit or something, might just not bring it, such a headwrecker.

I think if I can remember correctly it was about 8mins on questions in all the tenses.
    About the general things that you need to know. After ask if you have a document and they then test you for 4mins on that.
    My examiner last year actually helped me she told me what the question was in english if I got stuck. I don't know if others do.
    The document is optional not everyone decides to do one. Although most teachers prefer when you do to have something already to speak about. All of my last years class did document but it was a small class , one person on the day decided not to use his.

• Advertisement

Manic2 wrote: »
    I'm in a similar situation!

I have to make one tonight, but I don't know what to do it on, does anyone have any ideas what I could do? I'm only doing pass so I guess it doesn't have to be extravagant! :P

What's the best/easiest thing to do?
    I'm practically illiterate when it comes to French so the next 2 weeks will consist of me crying, but I gotta start somewhere :pac:

I'd say holiday or family would be the easiest I'm doing ordinary to and you can easily make things up if you forget some information you learnt off.

I'd say holiday or family would be the easiest I'm doing ordinary to and you can easily make things up if you forget some information you learnt off.

Ok thanks, I was thinking of doing a TV show or a favourite singer but maybe that's too broad?
    I can't really make things up since I literally have no words of French, and anything I do have is extremely basic.
    I'm only pushing for a D3 in pass to meet entry requirements, but I'm still so nervous. Haha!

Ok thanks, I was thinking of doing a TV show or a favourite singer but maybe that's too broad?
    I can't really make things up since I literally have no words of French, and anything I do have is extremely basic.
    I'm only pushing for a D3 in pass to meet entry requirements, but I'm still so nervous. Haha!

Do what you'd find the easiest to speak about. I'm not sure sure if you can do a tv show or singer they might have to be french :S.
    Just do what you think you'll find the easiest.
    I've picked a holiday as it's easy and I can make it up if I forget plus we need it for postcard .

I'm nervous too I haven't had a mock oral this year and I've not spoken much french or practised in ages. I remember last year I kept saying "Ja'i" by accident getting mixed up with "Je" so embarrassing then I got asked about a country I liked to visit I spoke about a college I wanted to go to before realising this was in the actual oral . Only because I expected her to ask that question next lol. I would keep my D2 from last year but I only do 6 subjects so had to keep it. I'm not a fan of french it doesn't interest me.

Do what you'd find the easiest to speak about. I'm not sure sure if you can do a tv show or singer they might have to be french :S.
    Just do what you think you'll find the easiest.
    I've picked a holiday as it's easy and I can make it up if I forget plus we need it for postcard .

I'm nervous too I haven't had a mock oral this year and I've not spoken much french or practised in ages. I remember last year I kept saying "Ja'i" by accident getting mixed up with "Je" so embarrassing then I got asked about a country I liked to visit I spoke about a college I wanted to go to before realising this was in the actual oral . Only because I expected her to ask that question next lol. I would keep my D2 from last year but I only do 6 subjects so had to keep it. I'm not a fan of french it doesn't interest me.

Thanks for the advice!

Yeah me either I'm so bad, I'm just having so much trouble learning everything :(
    Do you know if I need the whole abstract topics for pass? Like crime and stuff like that?
    What's making me even more nervous is that I'm the very 2nd person in my year to go, I'm at 10am Monday we come back from holidays, so I'll not know if the examiner's nice before going in, so I can't mentally prepare myself. :(

Even thinking about it and I start shaking I'm that nervous, no joke! :L

Thanks for the advice!

Yeah me either I'm so bad, I'm just having so much trouble learning everything :(
    Do you know if I need the whole abstract topics for pass? Like crime and stuff like that?
    What's making me even more nervous is that I'm the very 2nd person in my year to go, I'm at 10am Monday we come back from holidays, so I'll not know if the examiner's nice before going in, so I can't mentally prepare myself. :(

Even thinking about it and I start shaking I'm that nervous, no joke! :L

Yeah I can't seem to grasp the verbs , or I get mixed up. French isn't my strongest subject. It depends on your examiner all of mine got general topics and I got asked to describe the school , my house , what I want to do next year and what country would I go to . We got things like that.
    I was one of the last I think I'm middle this time .

Yeah I can't seem to grasp the verbs , or I get mixed up. French isn't my strongest subject. It depends on your examiner all of mine got general topics and I got asked to describe the school , my house , what I want to do next year and what country would I go to . We got things like that.
    I was one of the last I think I'm middle this time .

Oh right ok, and does it drag out or does at actually fly by? :P

I'm just gonna learn about myself, my family, my area, my house, the school and what I want to do in the future and then my document? That'd be enough wouldn't it?

How thoroughly do they test your knowledge of tenses?

Oh right ok, and does it drag out or does at actually fly by? :P

I'm just gonna learn about myself, my family, my area, my house, the school and what I want to do in the future and then my document? That'd be enough wouldn't it?

How thoroughly do they test your knowledge of tenses?

Well it felt like ages when I done it I couldn't wait for it to end only because I knew I didn't do well.

I think so yeah , and then like hobbies sport or music or hobbies to sway the conversation to something you want to talk about.

They just ask the questions in different ways and you have to answer in the right tense as in like the future you'd use "je irai" (I think thats it) lol if they asked .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭mcpaddington

Well it felt like ages when I done it I couldn't wait for it to end only because I knew I didn't do well.

I think so yeah , and then like hobbies sport or music or hobbies to sway the conversation to something you want to talk about.

They just ask the questions in different ways and you have to answer in the right tense as in like the future you'd use "je irai" (I think thats it) lol if they asked .

With the document can they start asking you questions regarding it and about stuff you won't know?

With the document can they start asking you questions regarding it and about stuff you won't know?

They usually wait until the end. They ask what they think you would have studied for. General things you should know about your topic.
    Like I got asked about the rides in disneyland as I said I went there in France as well as visit the city I got asked about what rides were there an I hadn't learnt what they were in french so I ended up saying them in english with a french accent not the best idea lol .
    Just try and cover an possible question they could ask you.

Advertisement