Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Castleisland Thread

Options
  • 29-03-2012 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭

I thought I'd start a thread for Castleisland and the surrounding area.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Well this died a death, I blame it on the ambiguous nature of it. Why would Castleisland need a thread, are we discussing the best things in the town, the problems etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Dude do you see the other threads on kerry towns on here, there just as ambiguous. I just put it up to see if Castleisland people needed a thread, clearly they don't with no response so just leave it at that, there's no need to be a whiney little girl about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

Wouldabeen a great thread until they bypassd it, now no-one goes there anymore. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Very witty! OK, let's give it some traffic!

I've a question for locals - I've not heard if the bypass has affected local traders/businesses - Now that it's been about 2 years open, has there been any reduction in business (stripping out the general downturn due to the recession of course) since the bypass? Personally, I never stopped there on my way to Tralee as I was so close to home, there was no point but would be interested to know.

PS - maybe the thread needs to be made a Sticky to put it more on people's radar so that there is more likely to be contributions to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Post away and see if it gets any steam up.

• Advertisement

Great Parade yesterday in town, very topical. The weather stayed dry for the hour or so which really made it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Big congrats to Castleisland's and Currow's Siobhan Fleming on achieving the grand slam with the Irish Ladies Rugby team at the weekend,must be something in the water over that direction when it comes to producing rugby international players :)

Big congrats to Castleisland's and Currow's Siobhan Fleming on achieving the grand slam with the Irish Ladies Rugby team at the weekend,must be something in the water over that direction when it comes to producing rugby international players :)
    Jj hanrahan won't be far away In a few years, +1 congrats to Siobhan as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

buyer95 wrote: »
    Great Parade yesterday in town, very topical. The weather stayed dry for the hour or so which really made it.

Indeed, i had a car out in it, weather held well.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭trafficlight

Does anybody know what the story is with the Aetna Building is, what type of company is going to be going in there and if there will be jobs created??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Mary28

Not sure if businesses were affected but still seems like loads of cars passing through. Garveys, lidl & Aldi are located on the outskirts & took most of the towns activity with them long before the bypass. There are a lot of little cafes in the town now that appear to be doing a decent trade. I am rarely home so not sure about the rest.
    It makes me a bit sad really, it used to be a busy little place, now every day looks a bit like a Sunday. Most of the country is gone the same way from what I can see.

Where/what is the Aetna building?

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭trafficlight

The Aetna Building was an American company that processed health insurance claims and employed about 100 people, however, Aetna decided to close the headquarters in Castleisland in 2011 and 100 people lost their jobs :( Recently it was announced that the building was bought by two locals who had plans for the building, but no info has been released on what is going in there yet, just wondering if anyone knew anything as it would be great if something worthwhile went in there that would provide solid employment to the town

Advertisement