Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Play biting/mouthing - how to stop

• 29-03-2012 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭

Hi all

My Airedale is now 10 months old. He was very mouthy for the first few months when I got him but he improved greatly over the past 2/3 months.

However he still tends to be quite mouthy(and jumps up too) especially when he gets excited.
    He's a great dog, not aggressive in the slightest, well behaved but cheeky alot of the time too :).

I am fairly consistent at giving him a stern 'no bite' when he does it but it hasn't improved things at all.

I am thinking he is probably just at that age where hes being a git and going against anything I say but I'm getting frustrated at the lack of progress the past while.

When my nephew who is 2 1/2 is around I have to lift him as Rufus can be mouthy and usually goes straight for his face(suppose same height as his own). Now this is not in an aggressive way or anything just playfulness and excitement on his part. But still not something I want continuing obviously.

He knows its wrong but as I said I think he is just going against my authority.

Has anyone got any tips on how to fully stop this behaviour or will it stop with age?

Thanks
    Bull

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭LisaLee

Our lad went through a mouthing phase when he got over excited or giddy during play. We were getting him trained and our trainer recommended this technique.

Whatever you're doing (playing, walking etc) with him, the moment he mouths let out a high pitched yelp and stop play immediately, walk away and ignore.

She explained that when they're puppies that's how they let their siblings know that they've hurt them and to stop.

Our lad soon learned that if he mouthed, all play stopped and it wasn't worth it. Best of luck, hopefully this will work for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Karlitto

Heya,

I had a similar issue,

My lad would put his mouth around your hands if you held his paws, just correct him and say "NO" or whatever phrase you want, you can also redirect the bite (I know its not a bite, but you know what I mean) onto a toy.

For the jumping thing, there are there main points where he is probably jumping, 1, when you are getting food, when you get his lead and when you come back to the house (from work etc)

For food and the lead, DO NOT entertain it but bringing him out or giving food, you are simply rewarding the behaviour, you wait until he is calm, the first few times he does it, correct him by using whatever phrase you use to basically say "behave". When he does and stays calm for about 5-10 seconds, reward him with the walk or food. For the times after that, try not saying the phrase and make him do it on his own, it will take longer, but, he will learn.

Now, the jumping on you when you come back home from work etc. This is slightly different, this is more of an "insecurity" if you want to call it that. He is happy to see you home, safe and sound, which, for people is a good thing, but for dogs, it promotes jumping and so on. When you leave, dogs don't need to say good bye, so don't make a big deal out of it by saying bye, or giving kissies or even making him sit. Just go, no talk, no eye contact and no touch. The same when you come home, open the door, ignore him, don't speak to him, touch or look at him. This is basically saying to him that "yea, this is normal, I will be home safe", eventually, he will understand, and when you come home, while he still may come to the door, he shouldnt jump, he will probably just check it is you. Also, after you come in and walk right past him, and say, into the kitchen for example, still ignore him, when he seems to leave you be and carry out his normal business, then you can say hi and reward him. This was a big one for my little guy, and now most times he comes out, checks its me coming in and goes back to whatever he was doing......generally sleeping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

I agree with LisaLee - if he mouths, make a high pitched noise (it was Owee! in our house :)) and immediately ignore the pup.

They learn very quickly that it is not allowed - you just need to make sure that everyone who plays with the dog knows uses the technique. That's the hardest part in my opinion!

Advertisement