Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I need a skin care cure!

• 29-03-2012 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭

Hey all, I always get really bad spots,blotchy patches of skin around my mouth and chin area that never really ease off. I know they're more than likely to do with hormones but there hasn't to be some sort of a solution that will keep them at bay. They're that bad that I can't even hide them with make up, if anything it draws more attention to them. Anyone any suggestions of good products?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭DonFred

Try La Roche-Posay Cicaplast Baume B5! It cost about 12.50 in Sam McCauleys or any good chemist. Sure google it and read the reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭lisaface

Taz1 wrote: »
    Hey all, I always get really bad spots,blotchy patches of skin around my mouth and chin area that never really ease off. I know they're more than likely to do with hormones but there hasn't to be some sort of a solution that will keep them at bay. They're that bad that I can't even hide them with make up, if anything it draws more attention to them. Anyone any suggestions of good products?

I'd recommend trying to get them to form/rise up onto the skin itself, by using toner - and then (this sounds horrible but...) allowing them to form up and pop naturally.

Also what could be an issue for this is if you use moisturiser that has spf within it? this can greatly clog your pours, leaving your skin botchy and red and sore and covered in spots! Most people will say you need it (and yes you do) but you should always have a face moisturiser that isnt pro-spf, we live in Ireland , the sun rarely shines and I honestly don't think you can attribute to skin issues by not wearing spf everyday!!

Ooh, you've probably already tried this but incase you haven't, a good home or salon facial can help them rise up to the surface. A hot towel facial or even an 'indept-facial' can help. If this doesn't help any of it, and it's continuing over a few months, i would suggest maybe finding a medicated cream/spray or oil that will help release the tension in the spots!

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MangoLime

-Try steaming your face over a bowl of hot water. This will open up your pores and help the bacteria inside to come to the surface and "pop".

-Tea tree oil is a natural antiseptic, so try dabbing that on problem area to sooth the skin.

-Exfoliate once or twice a week to slough off dead skin cells and bacteria. Use a facial buff instead of an exfoliating wash as this will save you money and I think they work better.

-I think benzoyl peroxide can clear spots so look for products which contain that.

-drink PLENTY of water to rid your body of toxins, so that they don't come out through your skin.

Hope that helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭gingernut125

I use gel to oil cleanser but any oil our cream cleanser can be used. I message my face, especially the area about to break out, for about ten minute, every now and then before I rinse it off . it'll bring your spots to the surface so they'll be gone fast and help your skin produce its natural oils that will help with blotchy skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭wyrn

Hi OP, I have the exact same issue as you and unfortunately as I get older it seems to get worse :mad:

I tried everything under the sun, I have a regular skin care regime and I drink plenty of water but that only helps my skin overall and not specifically the problems areas. I even bought the lovely gentle Guinot exfoliator (because exfol. too much or with something too rough causes more problems). Anyway, long story short, I asked my doctor as I was at the end of my tether, she told me that it was my hormones (related to a medical problem I have) and that there's nothing over the counter that will totally eradicate it.

We decided the least invasive and inexpensive option was to try a prescription gel (bare in mind I'd tried some creams before and the only outcome was bleached towels and pillow cases). So I now use a topical 3rd generation retinoid gel(not sure if allowed to name) and it works wonders. I use a tiny amount at night and in a few days no more problems.

I do have two slight issues with it, the first being that the rest of my skin is very dehydrated and this makes it worse. It's nothing too bad, but I just get a few dry patches. Once my skin is used to it, it sorts itself out. I try not to rely on this too heavily. The second issue is that I donate blood and because of the gels chemistry, I need to go off it for over a month so that it's not in my system.

So OP if you are finding that nothing is working, even after getting facials, using a regular skincare routine and drinking lots of water, I suggest having a chat to your doctor next time you are in there. For me it took two minutes and saved me a lot of grief. I was afraid to ask in case they insist on referring me to a dermatologist as I couldn't afford one or if they suggested those acne pills (the name escapes me).

Good luck and know that you are not alone!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Missy555

Hi OP,

I have to agree with the last poster on the viamin A cream.

I have had acne since I was in my early teens. I took meds to help (roaccutane), which cleared them up 98%. I always had one or two spots and blackheads, oily skin etc. (There are many things that influence bad skin including a special type of "bad oil" that certain people have more of.)

The thing is, now I'm in my 30's I'm getting lines, sagging etc

I've been in Thailand for over a year and found Retin A cream. From the first night I used it my skin changed. It was amazing! No problems at all now. They said it could take 6 weeks to notice any changes but I saw them instantly.

I'm leaving Thailand in a couple of weeks so I'm going to stock up big time as it's about 2euros a pop here and I'm not sure if you can get it OTC in Ireland.

If you have constant skin problems (like I had), you want to go to the best source for information. You need something strong that will deal with the problem. Vitamin A makes your skin normal - it actually changes the way your skin grows. Most over th counter or "beauty" products don't have enough of the "ingredient" that you need to make a difference to your skin.

Well, that's just my story I hope you find something that works for you.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

It may not be the case for you, but when I was younger I had a similar problem, but everywhere else was clear. Without noticing it, I was spending a lot of time with my hand touching that area - leaning my chin in my hand a lot without noticing it.

Someone pointed it out to me, and I made a conscious effort to stop doing that, and to wash my hands more often, and it did help, even if it did involve on sitting on my hands a lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭spacecookie555

Taz1 wrote: »

Hey OP you could try TCP its costs under €4 depending on where you get it. (tescos always has it).
    You pour some onto a cotton pad or tissue then dab it on, it usually gets rid of my spots, I get a good few on my chin, its apparently from leaning my chin on my palm. It will burn momentarily, when the burning stops put either savlon or sudocream on the area.
    Hope this helps!!

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭Taz1

Thanks for all teh suggestions guys. I ahve actually tried most of what ye have all said at one point or another but to no avail. I bought La Roche-Posay Cicaplast Baume B5 so here's hoping. To be honest, they're spots that seem to be there constantly just flare up worse at different points, and they tend to be more scabby than pussy (Sorry I know that sounds gross!). I'll see how that cream goes anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Taz1, have you ever gone to the gp to see what they come up with. 34 and have really bad acne on my forhead, chin, chest & back. It must be hormonal, but gp wont do bloods for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

I've also used LRP Cicaplast on acne with good results. Once a spot has formed though I don't think it makes a great deal of difference and I don't use it on active spots. My approach is to dry the hell out of it with something (your spot treatment of choice) and then once it has come to a head and sorry, *popped* :( then that's the time that Cicaplast can show how miraculous it is. It heals the dead spot up overnight and that's more what it is designed to do, to heal up damage to your epidermis and it certainly is great at that.

You just need to find a spot treatment that works well and if you were thinking of benzoyl peroxide get the lowest percentage which is about 2.5%. Any higher won't make a difference and all it does is cause more irritation. I've also had good results with salicylic acid and the red marks left behind after the spot is gone isn't as bad with salicylic acid having been used than benzoyl peroxide. I find the Cicaplast good to get rid of the red marks too.

If all that fails I'd head to the GP and get a retinoid

Advertisement