Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin 15 Trivia

Options
  • 29-03-2012 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭

With all the negativity on the forum in the last while regarding burglaries and so on, I thought it might be nice to have a lighter thread about the characters and history of the area, the famous people who have lived here or visited here, the movies that have been shot here, albums that have been recorded here and so on.

I was in the Blanchardstown Centre yesterday and noticed a sign saying that the new Sean Penn movie This Must Be The Place which is coming out soon was filmed partially in the shopping centre. That got me thinking about other movies filmed here, such as Intermission and Accelerator.

Colin Farrell was also a previous resident, as was Rita Hayworth.

Also I remember reading that REM had recorded part of their album Monster in Luttrelstown Castle, though I'm not sure how true that was. And of course, the Beckhams were famously married in the same castle. I also heard that Gerard Depardieu was recently filming there for the newest Asterix movie.

The All-Blacks regularly stay in the area whilst on tour over here also.

Anyone have any good D15 trivia?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

i kissed my first girlfriend down the canal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Where in Dublin 15 was Intermission filmed ? I know some was filmed around Rathfarnham and Tallaght, wasn't aware of any scenes from around here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Scene's for the movie 'Night Train' starring John Hurt were filmed in Dunsinea at the Food Research Centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

That whole area was just dense forest with nothing living there but badgers and wild boars but that was a long long time ago...

If anyone is interested there was a guy in the Fairyhouse market selling old photos of the area, they were pretty cool, I spent about an hour looking at them one Sunday, dont know if he is still there..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Gaspode wrote: »
    Scene's for the movie 'Night Train' starring John Hurt were filmed in Dunsinea at the Food Research Centre.

The guy who wrote that film lives in D15!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Alaska1

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    With all the negativity on the forum in the last while regarding burglaries and so on, I thought it might be nice to have a lighter thread about the characters and history of the area, the famous people who have lived here or visited here, the movies that have been shot here, albums that have been recorded here and so on.

I was in the Blanchardstown Centre yesterday and noticed a sign saying that the new Sean Penn movie This Must Be The Place which is coming out soon was filmed partially in the shopping centre. That got me thinking about other movies filmed here, such as Intermission and Accelerator.

Colin Farrell was also a previous resident, as was Rita Hayworth.

Also I remember reading that REM had recorded part of their album Monster in Luttrelstown Castle, though I'm not sure how true that was. And of course, the Beckhams were famously married in the same castle. I also heard that Gerard Depardieu was recently filming there for the newest Asterix movie.

The All-Blacks regularly stay in the area whilst on tour over here also.

Anyone have any good D15 trivia?

Few scenes also filmed in the Q centre (now Liberty) on the 10th floor of the building.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Following on from the mention of Rita Hayworth above, the Aga Khan used to own the Ongar Stud estate which is now where Ongar Village is. The original old house was demolished and a replica reconstructed around 2005 (which was to be used as a bar and restaurant but unfortunately still lies vacant). The Aga's wife (or maybe partner) was the Hollywood actress Rita Hayworth. Some of the streets around Ongar Village are named after her (Hayworth Drive/Terrace etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Where in Dublin 15 was Intermission filmed ? I know some was filmed around Rathfarnham and Tallaght, wasn't aware of any scenes from around here.

There's a scene in the movie where Deirdre O'Kane runs out of a house and onto a green area (I think) and it was definitely filmed on Bramley Green in Carpenterstown.

2qk4u wrote: »
    That whole area was just dense forest with nothing living there but badgers and wild boars but that was a long long time ago...

If anyone is interested there was a guy in the Fairyhouse market selling old photos of the area, they were pretty cool, I spent about an hour looking at them one Sunday, dont know if he is still there..

Must check that out. I've a fantastic photo of Clonsilla train station in the snow about 100 years ago, I must try and scan it and put it online. I bought it from the Irish Historical Picture Company that used to be based on the quays.

http://www.ihpc.ie/ihpc/Main/Home.asp

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

In the early 1800s when William Rowan Hamilton was living in Dunsink Observatory, he invited his friend William Wordsworth over for a visit.
    One day he took his friend for a trip around the area, taking in Scribblestown, Abbotstown, Castleknock and Blanchardstown and other places on the way.
    On his return he asked the great man of words, the future poet laureate, what he had thought of the area, to which Mr. Wordsworth was reported to have said 'Meh, 'twas alright' *

* This part may not be true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

'40-coats' lives in Blanch village. Your man Dempsey.

William warren of Corduff seems an interesting character.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corduff

I likes this thread! Cheers joesoap!

Amanda Byram is from Dublin 15

amdublin wrote: »
    Amanda Byram is from Dublin 15

I used to serve herself and Patrick Kielty in a shop I worked in on Sunday mornings, back when they were a couple. They'd drive up in separate jeeps... bizarre!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

Twnk's ex, David Agnew used to live with Ruth Hickey somewhere in D15 - used to see him in the local supermarket.

'40-coats' lives in Blanch village. Your man Dempsey.

William warren of Corduff seems an interesting character.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corduff

Fran Dempsey - gas man on the Mike Murphy show that played jokes on the unsuspecting public

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Stinjy

read that Bono, supplied the money to build Brady's and his brother ran it?! -

NOTE: I DON'T know how true this is I'm taking it on the word of someone else.. but it is interesting no!?

The name Blanchardstown comes from the Blanchard family, who were granted their estate some time between 1250 and 1260. The name 'Blanchard' is thought to come from the French word blanch, meaning white, and could refer to white or fair hair.

D15 trivia:
    I passed good morning greetings with Joan Burton in Farmleigh last weekend :)
    She was there to see the bulbs, up in the sun apparently :pac:

Omg!!!

I just thought of a personally traumatic piece of trivia about D15 - stemming from the op's suggestion about films filmed in d15 and albums recorded in d15.

So! Here goes:
    A couple of years ago RTE used Draoicht to record a show called "Colm & Jim Jim's Home Run.

It was sooooo bad. The show was horrendous and the taping went on for hours.
    It was so bad that people were leaving to "go to the bathroom"....so the production crew had to ban people from leaving.

My sister gave me free tickets to it. I've only recently forgiven her :mad:

• Advertisement

D15 trivia:
    I passed good morning greetings with Joan Burton in Farmleigh last weekend :)
    She was there to see the bulbs, up in the sun apparently :pac:

I used to like bumping in to Brian Lenihan around the area..... R.I.P.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Stinjy wrote: »
    read that Bono, supplied the money to build Brady's and his brother ran it?! -

NOTE: I DON'T know how true this is I'm taking it on the word of someone else.. but it is interesting no!?
    I remember hearing Bono's brother ran it/owned it while it was called Scotts.

Omg!!!

I just thought of a personally traumatic piece of trivia about D15 - stemming from the op's suggestion about films filmed in d15 and albums recorded in d15.

So! Here goes:
    A couple of years ago RTE used Draoicht to record a show called "Colm & Jim Jim's Home Run.

It was sooooo bad. The show was horrendous and the taping went on for hours.
    It was so bad that people were leaving to "go to the bathroom"....so the production crew had to ban people from leaving.

My sister gave me free tickets to it. I've only recently forgiven her :mad:

Ha ha! It couldn't have been that bad!

And they normally give you a few glasses of wine at these type of things so surely it was worth going for that?

Blanchardstown library is the biggest public library in Ireland!

Nice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Twnk's ex, David Agnew used to live with Ruth Hickey somewhere in D15 - used to see him in the local supermarket.

Yep lived very close to myself not sure if he still there as at the time there use to be plenty of photographers hanging around.

Glenda Gilson is from Castleknock.

Yvonne Connolly (wife of Ronan Keating) is originally from Castleknock

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

Yvonne Connolly (wife of Ronan Keating) is originally from Castleknock
    And now she is on the market, but, I still wouldn't ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭exador

Ben Dunne lives there ,Steve Collins did, Eamon Coughlan lives Porterstown.

• Advertisement

exador wrote: »
    Ben Dunne lives there ,Steve Collins did, Eamon Coughlan lives Porterstown.

I did not know this!

Advertisement