Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you know any Jews?

• 29-03-2012 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭garysully1986

I can honestly say off the top of my head that I have never actually met a Jewish person? Is there a big population of them in Ireland?

Have asked a few people I know and they said they didnt know any either? :o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Jew dont know what your talking about.

Ahem, i know a few, they are the same as me, couldnt give a toss about religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

er, yes.

what a weird question? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I know Alan Shatter's daughter through a friend. Though I don't know if she's a Jew too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Yes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

i know of one jewish family in carlow but thats about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Yeah, met some Israeli people travelling here from time to time. Their women are for the most part absolutely gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Unavailable for Comment

I know a fair amount from school but the population in Ireland as a whole is shrinking as they often emigrate to England or Israel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I have known a few Jews

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭garysully1986

Ah yeah I know its a weird qustion I was just reading the census that was released and got to thinking! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

No...but on a related topic doesn't the government suck? Boooooooo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I can honestly say off the top of my head that I have never actually met a Jewish person? Is there a big population of them in Ireland?

Have asked a few people I know and they said they didnt know any either? :o

Yes, met a few over the years.

Theres only about 2,000 or so afaik. Used be more in the 30's to 50's apparently but they emmigrated over the years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Just Jesus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

I'm going to see Jerry Seinfeld soon.

He's my favorite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭tiny_penguin

I'm one so I know a fair few , my family members and random people in the community!

I am stunned at the amount of Catholics on the census I was sure it was gonna drop!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

About 50, but they're all related in some way (not to me).

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭SteppingStone

I know a few Jews.. Not the religious types.

Yeah I think in this day and age to find a strongly religous type is a rare thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Some, then probably a few more that hasn't said anything.

I'd love to hang out with Matisyahu, seems to be a cool guy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

There's a temple near me so I see them on saturday evenings walking to the service with their hats and beards and so on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

What a strange thread OP - like the Jewish community are a mythical, mysterious group.

I know a fair few, mainly jewish people from England at university (who funnily enough OP are as English as you can get) and one girl who is from an Israeli Jewish family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

I have known about a dozen Jews, Israelis and Amercians. Liked them all, although Israeli Jews are massively different in physicality. Don't know why.

Wattle wrote: »
    There's a temple near me so I see them on saturday evenings walking to the service with their hats and beards and so on.

Really? Are they like full on orthodox jews like the curls and beards?

probably not pc but dont really know much about the religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

I know a lot of people so I am sure I do, religion in general doesn't come up in my conversation, I am generally not interested.

A strange question OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

I have a friend who isn't really a Jew, he's just Jewish.

Haha Ah I know its a strange question someone had asked me it a few years ago. Must have stuck in my mind but was only thinking about it when I read the census. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I know a few Jewish people alright. In fact I probably know more than I realise, it's not as if I enquire about people's religion when I meet them.

I don't think I know any Buddhists though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

No, but I met Sonny Knowles once.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Is there a big population of them in Ireland?
    The population of Jewish people in Ireland is less than 2,000 and only half of them are affiliated with one of the four synagogues in the country. There are also only two Jewish schools, one elementary and one high school.

Read more: http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Irish-Jews-upset-as-their--religion-omitted-from-Irish-census-119682084.html

bwatson wrote: »
    What a strange thread OP - like the Jewish community are a mythical, mysterious group.

I know a fair few, mainly jewish people from England at university (who funnily enough OP are as English as you can get) and one girl who is from an Israeli Jewish family.

Haha Brilliant! Now if anyone knows any elves let me know

bwatson wrote: »

Haha Brilliant! Now if anyone knows any elves let me know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Nope, none. As far as I know, I've never met one. Well not one with a Jewish name anyway.

I can honestly say off the top of my head that I have never actually met a Jewish person?

Do you ask everybody you meet if they are Jewish ? ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭RiseToTheTop

I know a couple..my next door neighbour is one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭RiseToTheTop

I know a couple..my next door neighbour is one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

I know one family. Not exactly hasids though. It'd be like referencing the average Irish family if I were asked did I know any catholics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

Wattle wrote: »
    Do they walk without their hats and beards during the week?

Really? Are they like full on orthodox jews like the curls and beards?

probably not pc but dont really know much about the religion.

Dunno if their orthodox but they are always very smartly dressed and quite a lot of them have beards. Haven't seen any with curls.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭RuailleBuaille

I don't know if I know any Jewish people, I've never asked that question!

• Advertisement

Haha I'd seem like a bit of a weirdo if I asked everyone what their religion was :p

Nah like most people I would know to talk to are Catholic athiest/agnostic or Protestant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I honestly don't know what religion most of the people I know are.

This is the thing. I dont tell most people I meet that I am - only comes up if i know them a while and/or the conversation goes to religion or sometime politics (discussing israel/palestine) or I make some silly comment that sounds very anti semetic when I forget the people I'm talking to dont know I am actually jewish. I'd say this is the same for most, its not my opening introduction. Also don't know what religion an awful lot of my acquaintances are and most people in ireland just make the assumption everyone is either christian or atheist

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭benway

44leto wrote: »
    religion in general doesn't come up in my conversation

Ireland is like that. I know a few Irish Jews, but their religion has never been an issue, any more than anyone else's is. To be fair to OP, it's not a totally crazy question, the Jewish community aren't aren't very numerous, and not especially visible, for that reason. Far as I can see it, he/she seems to be genuine.

I know a Jewish girl from the States as well, with her it seems to be much more of an identity thing - she told me within 30 seconds of meeting her that she's Jewish.

Used to know a good few from school, best friend is

If you know people you will work religion, or ethnicity, out after a while, as in where the kids go to school, what they are doing for Hanukkah etc.

Saying that you don't discuss religion so you don't know if you have met Jews means you probably haven't; as secular Jews tend to celebrate Hanukkah, an often Passover. I've been to a passover meal with secular jews, and secular gentiles, gentiles in the majority, but Jewish people hosting.

Do they walk without their hats and beards during the week?

How would I know? I'm not stalking them.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Hanukkah doesn't really seem to be much of a thing for any of the Jewish people I know. It's maybe about 5th in the list of important religious holidays.

If you know people you will work religion, or ethnicity, out after a while, as in where the kids go to school, what they are doing for Hanukkah etc.

Saying that you don't discuss religion so you don't know if you have met Jews means you probably haven't; as secular Jews tend to celebrate Hanukkah, an often Passover. I've been to a passover meal with secular jews, and secular gentiles, gentiles in the majority, but Jewish people hosting.

Yeh you might know if you're friends are or not - but you wouldnt know about everyone you meet. People you might not know well or see a lot, it might never come up. I would celebrate all the major jewish holidays but don't usually talk about it when its going on. So while all my close friends and the people I work with would know - there are a lot of people I have known for a while that wouldnt know and prob would only find out by chance.

Also as stated there is only one jewish school in the whole country, and most of the jewish people I know didnt/dont go there.

Hanukkah doesn't really seem to be much of a thing for any of the Jewish people I know. It's maybe about 5th in the list of important religious holidays.

Possibly, my experiences are all in America, where it is pretty big. Passover is the biggest one, the Seder meal.

• Advertisement
Advertisement