Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you know any Jews?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭tiny_penguin

Possibly, my experiences are all in America, where it is pretty big. Passover is the biggest one, the Seder meal.

Id say the biggest one would be Yom Kippur - most talked about, anyone observing would have to miss a day of school/work for it and therefore would be explained why, and considered the most important holiday in the jewish calendar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

I also know a couple of Spurs fans, if that counts.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Possibly, my experiences are all in America, where it is pretty big. Passover is the biggest one, the Seder meal.

I get the feeling in America it's bigged up a little as a sort of competitor to Christmas or by people who don't want to risk offending Jewish people (even though it's not always on around Christmas) in December.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Do they walk without their hats and beards during the week?

The one's I know only have the beards at weekends.
    Also as stated there is only one jewish school in the whole country, and most of the jewish people I know didnt/dont go there.

Yeah, most Jews don't need to go to a jewish school because they are already Jews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

I used to deal with a Jewish person in my previous job who was a client and that was the first Jewish person i had contact with, she was horrible & condescending but I don't think it was because of her religion she was just a nasty person.
    It was a pity that the first time dealing with a person of that creed was remembered because a person was horrible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Id say the biggest one would be Yom Kippur - most talked about, anyone observing would have to miss a day of school/work for it and therefore would be explained why, and considered the most important holiday in the jewish calendar.

I cede to your superior knowledge but..

Is there a meal :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭tiny_penguin

I cede to your superior knowledge but..

Is there a meal :-)

There is - a super meal cos we fast for 25 hours preceding it. The passover Seder is prob the more important meal, but Yom Kippur is more important holiday. Might not be the same for all jews, but for Passover dont really have to explain myself to people or mention it at all. I just avoid bread and stuff and nobody notices. But for Yom Kippur it seems to always come up in conversation why I'm taking the day off etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

studiorat wrote: »

Yeah, most Jews don't need to go to a jewish school because they are already Jews.

......there used be a two week refersher course in FAS out in Ballyer though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Yes.
    Ah FFS. Who let them in?!

The ducks in Stephens green will be next.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

There is - a super meal cos we fast for 25 hours preceding it. The passover Seder is prob the more important meal, but Yom Kippur is more important holiday. Might not be the same for all jews, but for Passover dont really have to explain myself to people or mention it at all. I just avoid bread and stuff and nobody notices. But for Yom Kippur it seems to always come up in conversation why I'm taking the day off etc

Ah, I see, thats why I probably didn't know. I got invited to a Passover meal, the meal is important to me, as my friends knew.

( as I said they were secular, so the meal wasn't very religious except for the food - no praying - and candles)

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭garysully1986

Do you ask everybody you meet if they are Jewish ? ?

This is the thing. I dont tell most people I meet that I am - only comes up if i know them a while and/or the conversation goes to religion or sometime politics (discussing israel/palestine) or I make some silly comment that sounds very anti semetic when I forget the people I'm talking to dont know I am actually jewish. I'd say this is the same for most, its not my opening introduction. Also don't know what religion an awful lot of my acquaintances are and most people in ireland just make the assumption everyone is either christian or atheist

Yeah u could be right i may actually be assuming everyone i know is catholic Haha

Do you ask everybody you meet if they are Jewish ? ?

This is the thing. I dont tell most people I meet that I am - only comes up if i know them a while and/or the conversation goes to religion or sometime politics (discussing israel/palestine) or I make some silly comment that sounds very anti semetic when I forget the people I'm talking to dont know I am actually jewish. I'd say this is the same for most, its not my opening introduction. Also don't know what religion an awful lot of my acquaintances are and most people in ireland just make the assumption everyone is either christian or atheist

Yeah u could be right i may actually be assuming everyone i know is catholic Haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

I was friends with the rarest breeds of all, a black Jew named Geordie, when I was in the US.

Knew a few more when I was living in London but have never met one in Ireland even though I lived in Cork which historically has had a strong Jewish population and and previously had a Jewish mayor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Stayed in Bondi (yeah yeah, I know) for a while when I was in Australia and the place was full of Jews - synagogue just around the corner.

They were very very orthodox; hats, beards, skullcaps, women with shaved heads covered with wigs, no work on the Sabbath, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Yes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Jews_in_Ireland
    The history of the Jews in Ireland extends back nearly a thousand years. Although the Jewish community has always been small in numbers (1,930 in the Republic of Ireland according to the 2006 census), it is well established and has generally been well-accepted into Irish life.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I know just one Jewish guy and he's an American, Jews are commonly stereotyped as being mean and stingy, this guy is one of the most decent and sound people I know so that goes out the window as far as he is concerned anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭meganj

Went to a Jewish secondary school so feel like I know every Jewish person in Ireland at this stage.

Lovely bunch of people.

Good to know there are a few irish jews knocking about.

As i said was a genuine question, Good to get a bit more knowledge

As they say everydays a schoolday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

I have an Israeli freind,who doesn't practice and Mrs MJ is of Jewish descent.

meganj wrote: »
    Went to a Jewish secondary school so feel like I know every Jewish person in Ireland at this stage.

Lovely bunch of people.

did you go to stratford too? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I know I've met one. Found out in the usual way I find out such things about people, after making an inappropriate joke about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

There's a Jewish Quarter in Cork

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭meganj

bluewolf wrote: »
    did you go to stratford too? :pac:

Heck yes I did. Navy blue uniforms all the way.

Small world (small school in fairness).

and you ended up in nuim after?
    very small world :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

token101 wrote: »
    There's a Jewish Quarter in Cork

tell me more is there gold ?

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Lovely bunch of people.

Was it St. Jew's by any chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Shared a flat with a jewish guy. He was great craic. He was the first person I have ever heard to use the word Jew as a verb. ("Who Jewed the last of my milk?" etc etc).

bluewolf wrote: »
    and you ended up in nuim after?
    very small world :D

Garysully1986 - Bringing boardsies together! :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I know a few Jews.. Not the religious types.

A jew is someone who practises judaism.

So if they are not religious how could they be jewish? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

My grandparents were jewish immigrants

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

I never saw any in my life untill one day i was out in the woods and took out my gold coin and as i raised it to the sun and it lit up as the suns rays stuck it a jew popped out from behind a tree and snatched it !

Ah no but seriously i havent spoken to any but i remember a family of them near one of my friends house they kept to themselves seemed fairly religious though. And my muslim mate seems to have some inate grudge towards them :confused: some thing about an anti christ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Just one that I know of through work and he's an absolute gent.

I don't care too much for religion so tend not to discuss the topic with folk.

Sky King wrote: »
    He was the first person I have ever heard to use the word Jew as a verb.

You'll love this new invention called "television".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

No. Know OF a few families around who are Jewish, but don't personally know anyone who is a Jew. That I'm aware of anyway.

Awful pity there aren't more of them in Ireland I think. They seem like a very interesting lot.

amacachi wrote: »
    You'll love this new invention called "television".

I have the internet dude, join the 90's ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

A few on the internets not a single one in the real world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

They should all be made to carry passports which play Hava Nagila when opened

I have the internet dude, join the 90's ffs.

When was it you first heard "Jew" used as a verb?

Fuck off.

Mod: Banned.

• Advertisement

I wish you were Jewish, I hear they're a witty people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Captain_Generic

I wish you were Jewish circa 1939

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

I wish you were Jewish circa 1939

You're not funny.

I know one in Kerry, though he's originally from Manchester.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I know one - albeit non practicing - Jew.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Yeah a girl I'm friendly with (not close friends but close friends with another friend) is Israeli-Irish. Girl I went to college with - her father is Jewish but it didn't get passed down to her as it is matrilineal.
    bwatson wrote: »
    What a strange thread OP - like the Jewish community are a mythical, mysterious group.
    But you've said yourself there are very low numbers of people from ethnic minorities in Ireland - and the Jewish population is particularly sparse here.
    I reckon too if someone is a practising Jew you'd know it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

the population in Ireland as a whole is shrinking as they often emigrate to England or Israel.

Very interesting.

Do you know why???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

I know a few American Jews you wouldn't know they were Jewish unless it came up in conversation, wow that sounded weird.
    So yeah OP I do... yeah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Very interesting.

Do you know why???

Well Israel for obvious reasons as it's the homeland and all that. Many go to England as they generally marry within their own community so I suppose they have more Jews to go out with in England. In the past the major Jewish areas of Dublin were Terenure and around Portobello.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Hmmm...
    My daughter went to school there for a while.

I'm friends with lots of Jewish people. I used to play cricket with them at the old Carlisle Cricket Club in Kimmage before it was sold.

• Advertisement
Advertisement