Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you know any Jews?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

fryup wrote: »
    really? well why did their numbers dwindle then?

From my personal experience my wifes ancestors are Jewish,she has a very distinct Jewish maiden name bastardised for pronunciation.

Even though her family are here since the 1900's,which I suppose defines her as Irish..they emigrated from Russia,to Poland/Germany and London along the way.

I think the reason they dwindled was intermarriage ,becoming non practicing and emigration.

Her family are from in around the South Circular/Kimmage area of the city which I think are original residential Jewish area's.

Appearance wise, I'd never noticed anything differant until a family wedding years ago, wheh herself ,her sisters and a group of her female cousins had their pic taken together.

A family friend commented on their sallow skin,eyes and facial structure.

Strange how its such discussed topic in Irish society.

She's looked at this a few times and her comment was 'I couldn't give a fcuk'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

latenia wrote: »
    Seriously, compared to every other country in Europe, Ireland is probably the most tolerant of Jews. What happened in Limerick is called a pogrom but in reality it was more of an economic boycott. The UK experienced anti-semitic riots as recently as the late 40s-even after the holocaust had come to light. Not so long ago there were three Jewish TDs in the Dáil which is a huge over-representation compared to their population here.

I know, that's my whole point: in an 'exhibition' concerning anti-semitism in Ireland, they were really stretching at points to provide examples of said anti-semitism.

The other examples were isolated incidents, I think there was a murder of a Jewish man by some guy who fled the country, possibly with links to the Blueshirts.

really? well why did their numbers dwindle then?

They continued to their highest number until the foundation of Israel. As has been discussed a couple of times on this thread, trying to marry within such a small community can be difficult, and means that emigration to England or America was always going to be an option. With the foundation of a state solely for your religious purposes, this was always going to effect a country with such a small population base.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Simon Adebisi

One. Works in TCD. Lovely woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭pipelaser

I think we can plainly say ( as Joyce did) that Ireland has been, in Europe, by far the best place to be Jewish historically.

I often think that reading Joyces work gives a good indication of the general feeling towards Jewish people at the beginning of the 1900's. I think its quite clear that there are elements of antisemitism(albeit it from fictitious characters, but based on the vernacular of the day) in Ulysses.

From the charachters

Haynes(the englishman) :"Germany is in the hands of the Jew"

School Headmaster : "Do you know why Ireland are the only country that has a record of never persecuting the Jews? Because we never let them in!"

The Citizen(supposedly based on Michael Cusack) :"By Jesus, I'Il brain that bloody jewman for using the holy name. By Jesus, I'll crucify him so I will"

Im just interested in where you got the Idea that Joyce suggested that?
    Is it in any of his other writings?

I myself used to go out with a Jewish girl. I gotta say, her and her family were the nicest most generous people that you'd ever want to meet.
    I think people get a bad impression from Israelis, I've met a lot while travelling. On the whole they act quite snobbish, not really willing to move out of there comfort zone of the group, and I believe that the stereo type of tightness comes from them, they complain about and try to haggle almost anything. You do meet exceptions, but they are, exceptions!(The best looking women in the World! imo)

I believe that, the majority of Jewish people that you meet (outside of Israel) will be high achievers, or have great creative gifts.They seem to have an ability to hone in on whatever they're working on and explore it more deeply and get the very best out of themselves.

They have a ridiculously high percentage of Nobel Prizes(I'm led to believe) given their relatively low numbers per capita.

I've met a couple of Israelis travelling around Ireland (mainly where I used to work: there must be a link to one of the hotels in the area and some Israel tourist site, no other reason for meeting so many Israelis in one particular place). I always found them quite guarded about where they were from. The normal conversation with a tourist would inevitably involve asking where they were from, but if there was ever any reticence from the person, chances are they would eventually let on they were Israeli. I'm not sure if that's a general thing that Israelis feel they have to do when they travel or whether it was particular to a feeling of Ireland being anti-Israeli.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Batsy

My GP, Dr Newgrosh, who has been my GP nearly all of my almost 31 years on this Earth, is Jewish.

I used to remember when I was a kid he used to make good Donald Duck impressions to make me less scared when he was about to give me a jab or whatever.

He's also a scholar. He once wrote a long book - I don't know how many pages but there are lots - all about the Ancient Egyptians or the Phoenicians or something like that which, apparently is very complicated and difficult to understand.

The NHS surgery he works in and has been working in all my life is also just 100 yards or so away from my flat, so if I ever need to see him it only takes a minute to get there.

I've just discovered that his book is called "Chronology at the Crossroads: the Late Bronze Age in Western Asia", which was published in 2007.

It says it was written by Bernard Newgrosh, but I wasn't sure if it was the same, but then I saw on another website that it was written "by a medical practitioner in the North West of England", so it sounds like him.

I can honestly say off the top of my head that I have never actually met a Jewish person? Is there a big population of them in Ireland?

Have asked a few people I know and they said they didnt know any either? :o

There are around 2,000 Jews in the Republic of Ireland and 267,000 in the UK.

The UK has Europe's second-largest Jewish population and the world's fifth-largest.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I agree that Jewish people tend to be high achievers. Their influence and accomplishments greatly exceed their small numbers.

I have met Israelis - quite a lot of young Israelis travel the world like their Irish counterparts - and most are very pleasant and charming (and so many of them are very good looking too! ;-)) but there are a few who are very arrogant and defensive and you get the vibe that they are very uncomfortable discussing anything political about their country.

It's a classic "siege mentality" that many Unionists in the North also display.

I wonder how true the whole 'Jews tend to be high achievers' is? Is it just because we're noticing it, or is it a verifiable fact? I think other factors might be at play: the areas that they tend to be 'high-achievers' are areas which tend to get the most attention: movies, for the most part. I remember reading somewhere that their success in this area is mainly due to being excluded from trades in Europe in the medieval period as well as a concentration in their religion on learning and books. Not sure how true that is. I'm not sure how this would play in terms of success in fields such as science. However, I would like to know how well other groups fare in terms of nobel awards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

I'm not sure how this would play in terms of success in fields such as science. However, I would like to know how well other groups fare in terms of nobel awards.
    They've always been well-represented in the sciences, indeed much of the US evolution into the global scientific powerhouse it is today could be tracked back to the wave of immigrants from war-torn Europe in the 30s and 40s. I doubt if the US would have been as successful in the space/technological race against the Soviets if it weren't for Jewish scientists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I wonder how true the whole 'Jews tend to be high achievers' is? Is it just because we're noticing it, or is it a verifiable fact? I think other factors might be at play: the areas that they tend to be 'high-achievers' are areas which tend to get the most attention: movies, for the most part. I remember reading somewhere that their success in this area is mainly due to being excluded from trades in Europe in the medieval period as well as a concentration in their religion on learning and books. Not sure how true that is. I'm not sure how this would play in terms of success in fields such as science. However, I would like to know how well other groups fare in terms of nobel awards.

Well it's like Irish and cops/firemen in the states. They had lawyers, doctors and accountants. The odd drop-out would be a musician or artist and so on. In Germany, for example, (or what was to become Germany) there was stable relatively tolerated Jewish community for a millenia, and the Jewish community advanced as Germany did. If your whole family is third level educated, even in a narrow field, your odds of ending up flipping burgers (or grilling Sauerkraut) is fairly small.

It should also be remembered that a vast swathe of ordinary working class jews are no longer with us, which tends to magnify the effect of the educated tradition somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭pipelaser

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Jewish_Nobel_laureates

At least 20% of Nobel Prizes, 0.2% of Worlds population.
    Go on, admit it, they're Bleedin Deadly!:pac:

The Guys from the republic of Loose(except the lead singer) are Jewish BTW!

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    They've always been well-represented in the sciences, indeed much of the US evolution into the global scientific powerhouse it is today could be tracked back to the wave of immigrants from war-torn Europe in the 30s and 40s. I doubt if the US would have been as successful in the space/technological race against the Soviets if it weren't for Jewish scientists.

Indeed. If anything every showed the self defeating nature of a racist regime, it was the loss of the German Jewish community to Germany. And of course, on the greater longer scale, to Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Zebra3 wrote: »
    A jew is someone who practises judaism.

So if they are not religious how could they be jewish? :confused:

Most Jews in Israel are secular Jews. I presume a lot of people use it to describe ethnicity also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭brimal

I've met a couple of Israelis travelling around Ireland (mainly where I used to work: there must be a link to one of the hotels in the area and some Israel tourist site, no other reason for meeting so many Israelis in one particular place). I always found them quite guarded about where they were from. The normal conversation with a tourist would inevitably involve asking where they were from, but if there was ever any reticence from the person, chances are they would eventually let on they were Israeli. I'm not sure if that's a general thing that Israelis feel they have to do when they travel or whether it was particular to a feeling of Ireland being anti-Israeli.

This is a tactic a lot of Israelis use when travelling the world. It prevents a lot of unwanted attention (anti-semitism, Israel/Palestine conflict, etc.)

A lot of Israelis have dual-nationality with other European countries, so they will use this country as their nationality when travelling.

pipelaser wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Jewish_Nobel_laureates

At least 20% of Nobel Prizes, 0.2% of Worlds population.
    Go on, admit it, they're Bleedin Deadly!:pac:

The Guys from the republic of Loose(except the lead singer) are Jewish BTW!

That is impressive (the nobel rate, not so much ROL). Is there a reason for the high percentage rate, though?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Jewishness is ethno-religious. Jews are clearly an ethnic group, and have been for millennia.

A common misunderstanding. Thats like saying "Irish-Catholic" is an ethnic group. Thats obviously not the case, the Irish were traditionally Pagans before St. Patrick, and nowadays there's a large contingent of athiests in our population.

It just happens to be the case that before the 20th century, there was very little international travel (well compared to nowadays anyway), hence protestantism was associated with being english, Hindu with being Indian etc., when we all know that protestantism started in Germany, and there was a huge population of Muslims in India. Even modern Jewish surnames have a distinctive Bavarian hint to them, -man, -stien, -berg.

I remember seeing a documentary about survivors of the holucaust who fled to South Africa. One man, who was in Macau concentration camp IIRC, was asked his ethnicity when he applied for citizenship in SA. This was at the height of aparthied, so colour / ethnicity / race / religion were taken seriously. He said "I'm Jewish". The office clerk said "No, thats your religion. You look Caucasian to me." He was then asked where he, his mother, and father, were born. The answer to all 3 was Poland, and the man realised he didnt know of any ancestor or relation from outside of Poland. It dawned on him that he was a Polish man, who followed the Jewish religion. In Germany, he had been persecuted because he was seen as a "Jew". Now, one plane flight later, he was seen as "white". His religion didnt matter anymore. He had just become the very thing he had escaped from.

You cannot define someone as belonging to an "ethno-religious" group, its either one or the other, or both separately. Why anyone would try to do so in the first place is beyond me. Pure bigotry.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

Whats all this about Jesus being a Jew? He was a Jew, but he became the first Catholic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

Whats all this about Jesus being a Jew? He was a Jew, but he became the first Catholic.
    No, he was born a Jew and died a Jew, he followers became known as christians. Jesus wasn't a catholic because catholicism didnt exist for centuries after his death.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I agree that Jewish people tend to be high achievers. Their influence and accomplishments greatly exceed their small numbers.

I have met Israelis - quite a lot of young Israelis travel the world like their Irish counterparts - and most are very pleasant and charming (and so many of them are very good looking too! ;-)) but there are a few who are very arrogant and defensive and you get the vibe that they are very uncomfortable discussing anything political about their country.

They know very well that argument is pointless because the gentile world never seriously listens or understands ......i'm not jewish but they are right ....We are not renowned as listeners .

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I doubt if the US would have been as successful in the space/technological race against the Soviets if it weren't for Jewish scientists.
    and as irony would have it ex Nazi scientists. Not just Nazi by association either in quite a few cases. Actually fully paid up members of the Nazi party and some ex SS officers.
    lividduck wrote:
    No, he was born a Jew and died a Jew, he followers became known as christians. Jesus wasn't a catholic because catholicism didnt exist for centuries after his death.
    Very much so. The only reason Christians (Judaism 1.5) didn't end up with circumcision and food restrictions as religious duties is because they couldn't sell that stuff to the Greeks and Romans who thought the former evidence of barbarism and the latter completely daft. The other Judaism 1.5 Islam were further from those spheres of influence so kept the lot.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I doubt if the US would have been as successful in the space/technological race against the Soviets if it weren't for Jewish scientists.

Read up on Operation Paperclip.

Or just watch Dr. Strangelove. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

:rolleyes: only in ireland
    lividduck wrote: »

exactly

....but who wrote the Bible? King James. What religion was he? Protestant. Was he going to let his lot take the blame? Not likely. So he blamed the Jews. The truth is the protestants killed jesus because he refused to take the soup, and I have the photographs to prove it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

The lord mayor of Cork used to be Jewish not so long ago and there is a number of Jews in Cork most of whom came from Limerick due to a pogrom there. It was whipped up by a priest.

I think the Mayors name was Barry or Goldberg but he was very well liked and he was on the council for years.

Mervyn Taylor the old Labour TD was Jewish as was Ben Briscoe a member of FF and his father before him who could have been in the IRA but Im not sure. At one time Briscoe, Taylor, and Shatter were in the Dail together making three Jewish members. Quite an achievement.

Nodin wrote: »
    Was he going to let his lot take the blame? Not likely. So he blamed the Jews. The truth is the protestants killed jesus because he refused to take the soup, and I have the photographs to prove it.

photography was invented till the 19th century, so stop your nonsense

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

The lord mayor of Cork used to be Jewish not so long ago and there is a number of Jews in Cork most of whom came from Limerick due to a pogrom there. It was whipped up by a priest.

I think the Mayors name was Barry or Goldberg but he was very well liked and he was on the council for years.

That would be Gerald Goldberg. His father was originally from Lithuania and apparently was left ashore in Cork with other Jews who were told that Cork was "the gateway to America"!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

I thought Jesus was baptised by John the Baptist at Bethany?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Mervyn Taylor the old Labour TD was Jewish as was Ben Briscoe a member of FF and his father before him who could have been in the IRA but Im not sure.

Ben Briscoe father was Bob Briscoe, Sinn Fein and IRA member I post earlier that Mick Collins sent Briscoe to Germany to procure rifles in 1919 for the war of independence.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Christianity (and therefore Catholicism) began the moment Jesus was born. Its what Judeaism was supposed to be, the religion where Christ (meaning the son of God) was the top dog here on Earth.
    mandrake04 wrote: »
    I thought Jesus was baptised by John the Baptist at Bethany?

Exactly. And seeing as Catholic is the Greek word for "universal", if you were a Christian, you were automatically a Catholic. It wasnt until "protest"-ants began to protest that a distinction was made. Catholicism today is the pure, directly decendant message of Jesus. The first pope was St. Peter, and he was martyred in Rome, hence why the Vatican is still there, built on his tomb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

newmug wrote: »
    Christianity (and therefore Catholicism) began the moment Jesus was born. Its what Judeaism was supposed to be, the religion where Christ (meaning the son of God) was the top dog here on Earth.

Exactly. And seeing as Catholic is the Greek word for "universal", if you were a Christian, you were automatically a Catholic. It wasnt until "protest"-ants began to protest that a distinction was made. Catholicism today is the pure, directly decendant message of Jesus. The first pope was St. Peter, and he was martyred in Rome, hence why the Vatican is still there, built on his tomb.
    I presume you also believe in the tooth fairy,goldilocks, and santa!

the catholic church was created by a roman emperor, Emperor Constantine hence Roman Catholicism

Catholicism today is the pure, directly decendant message of Jesus. The first pope was St. Peter, and he was martyred in Rome, hence why the Vatican is still there, built on his tomb.

really? i wonder what jesus would think of all the molesting and abusing of children by catholic clergy:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Haven't read the entire thread but I remember in secondary school we were told the people of Limerick ran Jewish traders out of town

Found a post on boards about it
    It was also nothing to do with religion, but textiles.
    The Jewish in question were fleeing to America when the ship captain left them at Cork.
    The people in Cork told them to go to Limerick.
    They were mainly Dutch Jews, and brought with them modern textile an linen weaving practices from Europe.
    At the time the linen factory was one of our biggest industries in Limerick, so the owners were worried about the better quality fabrics being made by the newcomers.
    The protestant factory owners, pressurised their own workers, and bribed the local catholic priests into whipping up a fervour among the rest of the populace, so as to shut down the quickly rising Jewish textile sales.
    It worked.
    Thing is though, as bad as it was, and did happen, only one fatality was recorded.
    A 70 odd year old man ho died of a heart attack.

A terrible and shameful event, but all in relation to business, not religion.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

where's the link to the above quote

Put a sentance or two into google and you would have found it, that's how I found Limerick Pogram

Link here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=57893613

photography was invented till the 19th century, so stop your nonsense

;)

Thats what they want you to think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

paddyandy wrote: »
    JupiterKid wrote: »

They know very well that argument is pointless because the gentile world never seriously listens or understands ......i'm not jewish but they are right ....We are not renowned as listeners .
    Speak for thyself, dude.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Wibbs wrote: »
    and as irony would have it ex Nazi scientists. Not just Nazi by association either in quite a few cases. Actually fully paid up members of the Nazi party and some ex SS officers.

Shows how much principles mean eh?

amacachi wrote: »

"Don't say that he's hypocritical
    Say rather that he's apolitical
    "Once the rockets are up, who cares where they come down
    That's not my department," says Wernher von Braun"
    http://www.guntheranderson.com/v/data/wernherv.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

amacachi wrote: »
    Well that's the thing, the Americans didn't discriminate against who they had working for them (whether coerced or not), as long as they were top-scientists.

[cliche]At the end of the day[/cliche] Nazi science was still science. You just need to weed out the bad stuff, eugenics, etc.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Another quote I seem to recall from someone on the team "we aimed for London and reached the moon" or somesuch.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I strongly suspect the historical Jesus would not have agreed with you.
    Exactly. And seeing as Catholic is the Greek word for "universal", if you were a Christian, you were automatically a Catholic. It wasnt until "protest"-ants began to protest that a distinction was made.
    In fairness they had good reason on theological grounds, never mind the nepotism, corruption and wanton excess of the Roman church at the time and before. People forget and Catholics never hear that one of he largest slaver groups in post Roman Europe was the Christian church. They made good money on the back of it.
    Catholicism today is the pure, directly decendant message of Jesus.
    Ha. "Pure"? Yea right. Christianity(inc Protestantism BTW) is Paulanism. It has as much to do with him as a Romanised Jew than the historical Jesus. Even who appears to be Jesus' own brother James was dubious about Paul and how he was taking it away from Judaism.
    The first pope was St. Peter, and he was martyred in Rome, hence why the Vatican is still there, built on his tomb.
    No it's there simply because it became the state religion of the Roman empire. It had more traditional strongholds in the provinces. As for Peter being the first pope, the Gospel of Thomas an early non cononical text has the aforementioned James being the one Jesus tells his followers to seek council from.Keep it in the family as it were.

Christianity, in particular Roman Catholicism is a Greco-Romanised version/update of an offshoot of Judaism, better fitted to Roman thought and sensibilities. Beyond the obvious diff in food restrictions etc a classic example of this would be the virgin Mary. The Gospels mention her remarkably few times. Luke mentions her the most at around a dozen times, Mathew half that amount, both mostly in the whole nativity gig. John only mentions her twice and not by name and mark only once. Yet in daily attentions Catholics seem to focus on this figure more than the founder of the faith himself. The Roman world was used to female deities where the Judaic world was not, so they shoehorned her into the gig. The protestants reversed this attention, but since the only texts that survived were those considered "correct" by the early Roman church they inherited a similarly narrow set of texts.

Dudess wrote: »
    Speak for thyself, dude.

That we are not listeners here in Ireland has been said many times and i do speak for myself and i know it is a fact .Any politician could tell you that .Charming speakers but poor listeners...Many calamities here stem from that fact .Bertie would not listen to warnings before the tiger lost it's stripes .There are many others too .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Well that's the thing, the Americans didn't discriminate against who they had working for them (whether coerced or not), as long as they were top-scientists.

[cliche]At the end of the day[/cliche] Nazi science was still science. You just need to weed out the bad stuff, eugenics, etc.

Don't worry, I wasn't expecting principles from the Yanks. :pac: Was more the Nazis themselves, there were plenty of Jews around in NASA back then I would've thought (unless the Yanks decided to leave them out of it) and they had little problem with working with them.

paddyandy wrote: »
    That we are not listeners here in Ireland has been said many times.......i know it is a fact

Bertie would not listen to warnings before the tiger lost it's stripes .

You reckon all Irish people share the same habits as Bertie?
    i do speak for myself

Yeah speak for yourself but you don't speak for anyone else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,341 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

bnt wrote: »
    Jewish people don't come with labels on them. It's fair to say they're a bit sensitive about that kind of thing, based on certain periods in history. Neither do they always come with obviously Jewish faces, or names ending in "-witz" or "-stein". The OP probably does know some Jewish people, he just didn't recognise them as Jewish.

Can you tell which of the following people are Jewish, and who are not, without cheating?
    • Daniel Day-Lewis
    • Neil Gaiman
    • Helena Bonham Carter
    • Seth Rogen
    • Matt Lucas (Little Britain)
    • Bob Geldof
    • Elizabeth Berkley (Showgirls)
    • Sarah Silverman
    • Mark Knopfler (Dire Straits)
    • Sir Alan Sugar
    • Sarah Jessica Parker
    • Ben Stiller
    You've probably guessed where I'm going with this.
    The answer is all of them.

Thatw e don't care.

For what it's worth, I've only every met one or two irish jews. I have a load of israeli friends though.

Strangly, I think I know more mormons than jews or muslims.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

I met 2 Jewish people that survived through concentration camps.
    Feel privileged to meet them since there won't be many holocaust survivors around in years to come.

mikemac1 wrote: »
    1.You reckon all Irish people share the same habits as Bertie?

2 Yeah speak for yourself but you don't speak for anyone else

1. i never said that but often yes . 2 How do you know ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement