Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I just picked up my BREN gun!

Options
  • 29-03-2012 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

Pics and videos later when I get back from work.

Its heavy (about 10 Kilos) and had to be slightly neutered to comply with California laws, specifically have its magazine capacity limited to 10 rounds and require the use of a tool to release the magazine.

This second mod was accomplished by grinding down the release lever and then drilling a hole in the "nub" left behind.
    You then insert a "tool" into the hole to give leverage to actuate the release.
    The tool can be a pen, a bullet, or in my case an allen key.

I have an um-modded release for use when out of state.

After shooting this in its 303 caliber for a while I intend on acquiring a spare barrel (about ~100 dollars) and reaming it for the russian 7.62x54r round.
    You just have to mod the extractor a tiny bit (I have a spare for this) and she'll run like a champ on cheap ammo!

(303 is about 60 cents a round, 7.62x54r 20 cents a round)

I do reload for 303 and have about 5K lined up first though!

no range time till early April, needless to say, I can't wait!!!

I've got this aforementioned beast and my faked out no4 "T" sniper I made up from a receiver to zero properly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

its times like these that we should have a jealousy smiley!

Enjoy! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

HOMER.jpg

SO Jealous !!!!!

Wear well and enjoy... the 10 round mag would be a pain though....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Did you have to modify the stock or is it the stock stock?

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭harmoniums

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Did you have to modify the stock or is it the stock stock?

the stock is all stock!
    I can retain the pistol grip because I have to use a tool to actuate the magazine release.

All you need is a Brengun carrier now and you can have your own mini-IFV.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

But can he shoot the Bren from it??:D Either here or in CA??

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kryten

Mad jealous of ya. Would love one of these. Now If I can just get that "green card". I would move to the US and live happily ever after :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

I have some notes on the Bren gun that you may find useful. If you want I can send PDF copys of them on to you, you can pm me on your email.

They have the parts named etc... and by the way, its a gun not a rifle.

I have some notes on the Bren gun that you may find useful. If you want I can send PDF copys of them on to you, you can pm me on your email.

They have the parts named etc... and by the way, its a gun not a rifle.

Thanks, PM incoming.
    I do typically refer to it as a gun and am aware of the nomenclature.
    Unfortunately I find my mouth to be a slippery wet place and as a result my tongue slips quite a bit!

Another mistake is I called the ejector an extractor at one stage.

Its been a good weekend for me gun wise, I got the Bren after 3 months of waiting and also received a 1893 Nagant in .440 Nagant (close to the 44S&W round).

I 'm doing a video about that and my fake No4Mk1 T sniper rifle next....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭driftkingire

class!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭eire-kp

You Sir a legend! Had a look through you youtube videos one can allways dream of having such a collection:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

A great gun an a good example of why we need S/A centerfire rifles. An individual who has taken on such annexpensive restoration project is more of a custodian of military items than anything else..

I know it's USA but .......... It's still a normal Irish man..

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭sharkfox

I used to shoot competitions with a Bren a long time ago, your a very lucky man...
    I'd love a good long walk down memory with another one

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Zxthinger wrote: »
    A great gun an a good example of why we need S/A centerfire rifles. An individual who has taken on such annexpensive restoration project is more of a custodian of military items than anything else..

I know it's USA but .......... It's still a normal Irish man..

Trouble is in Ireland we have ZERO appreciation for our physical past heritage,archetiture or items of value from our past.[Unless it has immediate resale value like gold or bronze artifacts]
    How many of the historical sidearms of the chacters of 1916 to the end of the civil war have been sold outside the state?butchered to scrap or stuck in a museuem some place?Harmonious should be commended for keeping and aquiring as much of Irish firearms alive and well out in CA,as he proably has a better collection than our museuems.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Savage93

harmoniums wrote: »

Fond memories of Kilworth in the80s, can't wait to see the video of the first range day:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Beautiful gun - the only machine gun that is considered 'too accurate'. Brings back memories of chicken sandwiches and mugs of strong tea in the FCA.

recipio wrote: »
    Beautiful gun - the only machine gun that is considered 'too accurate'. Brings back memories of chicken sandwiches and mugs of strong tea in the FCA.
    Yep hard to beat an accurate firearm.
    I read this account of a double VC holder and the part where he shot 22 out of 50 approaching Germans at a range of 500yds with a Bren gun kind of puts the accuracy in perspective.
    500yds with open sights in Combat is no mean feat.

Advertisement