Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I sell my Oswald Carano rifle to finance this:

Options
  • 29-03-2012 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

an antique 450CF (a 45LC will chamber) Rigby & Co revolver made in Dublin

http://www.rockislandauction.com/viewitem/aid/55/lid/157

The Oswald Carcano was used in two TV shows, "Bones" and "Conspiracy Theory" by Jesse Ventura.

I really dont like the Carcano and it creeps my wife out.

I think I may!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

I would , in a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

For me ... it would be the revolver... must be some collection you have now...:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭bazza888

the actual carcano you have was used in the 2shows

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭harmoniums

bazza888 wrote: »
    the actual carcano you have was used in the 2shows

yeah, It was used in both

• Advertisement

rowa wrote: »

@ 1:53, I'm the guy in the top right corner with my hand up shading my eyes.

4686810380_c87d96a8ac_o.jpg

harmoniums wrote: »
    @ 1:53, I'm the guy in the top right corner with my hand up shading my eyes.

4686810380_c87d96a8ac_o.jpg

Cool , but he did call your rifle a pos , did ya hit him for it ?

you work doing gun shows and such for a living?thats cool!!did you get to do many other things like that with the rest of your collection?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Yeah the Rigby is a nicer looking piece, easier to store and show and just has bit of class about it.

Did you ever make contact with mick shepard about the kavanagh fenian shotguns harmoniums ? I see they are no longer up on his website.

• Advertisement

rowa wrote: »
    Did you ever make contact with mick shepard about the kavanagh fenian shotguns harmoniums ? I see they are no longer up on his website.

Nope, he just fell of the map, stopped answering emails etc.

bazza888 wrote: »
    you work doing gun shows and such for a living?thats cool!!did you get to do many other things like that with the rest of your collection?

I'm an electrical engineer, I make microchips for a living.
    In the past I had a small manufacturing business (made VZ-58 style rifles) on the side
    I also rent out guns time to time for TV/movies.
    I don't have a license for that, its another guy and anytime something comes up that he knows I have he calls me.

thats great!love the bren by the way,ill have to google vz58!(just had alook its an ak type rifle)

Nope, he just fell of the map, stopped answering emails etc.

He did exactly the same thing with me and a ruger single shot rifle, strange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

an antique 450CF (a 45LC will chamber) Rigby & Co revolver made in Dublin
    http://www.rockislandauction.com/viewitem/aid/55/lid/157
    The Oswald Carcano was used in two TV shows, "Bones" and "Conspiracy Theory" by Jesse Ventura.
    I really dont like the Carcano and it creeps my wife out.
    I think I may!

C'mon Harmoniums, are you serious?

I would dump the Carcano for a bottle of Wild Turkey and half a pack of cigarettes. ;)

Seriously, I would give mine away for just about anything but an Iver Johnson. Heck, I've given far better away for nothing. How much can you even get for one of these?

The Mannlicher Carcano, correct me if I am wrong, is an Italian rifle with a magazine design by the German Mannlicher lineage.

Think about how bad your rifle must be when the manufacturer (Carcano) puts Mannlicher's name in front of their own...:rolleyes:

Sell it... Donate it... Bury it... Whatever it... Don't think twice.

FWIW - I acquired mine as a freebie, I would never pay for one. The only reason it still sits in a case is because the barrel says Beretta.

Maybe they should call it the Mannlicher Beretta...

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭firefly08

Bring it to Pawn Stars in Vegas!!

(Then if they don't buy it you can wait til the episode airs and sell it "as seen on Pawn Stars" ;) )

So in true gun-nut fashion, I kept the Carcano, and then went ahead and bought the revolver!
    I just made up some cartridges for it from cut down 455 brass.
    13 grains of Black Powder (actually a BP substitute - easier to clean) under a 230 grain lead slug, pretty much the factory load.

I'll post a video of me not hitting things and flinching with the fear of blowing up an antique every time I pull the trigger soon.

That BP substitute smells rank btw, like Indian food in a dirty babys nappy.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭EWQuinn

I've been to Dallas and the book building, it was not a long shot but was complicated by the angle and moving target. There was limited time before the motorcade would disappear under an overpass. It is said that Oswald practiced with his rifle in the desert and in dry firing it a lot at home too.

Your rifle has a bit of "provenance" on it, maybe you can sell it on a reality show. The pistol is a pretty specimen of 19th century aesthetics, with attractive browning and nice detailing, and the flower, looks like you've got the bug and will end up with it regardless.

Update, I just saw your post, I guessed right.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭EWQuinn

firefly08 wrote: »

(Then if they don't buy it you can wait til the episode airs and sell it "as seen on Pawn Stars" ;) )

Won't work, Rick does'nt have an FFL. If you notice they only buy firearms made before 1899 or whatever the cutoff date is for a vendor to have a firearms license. I'm thinking there are several other shows that might bite on it though.

Assuming the Rigby was indeed made in the 1800's, that MIGHT make Pawn Stars. But then I doubt Harmoniums wants to go on TV with any nice piece just to get low balled by a Vegas pawn dealer :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

firefly08 wrote: »

Gun historian " In this condition the gun is worth about 10,000-12,000 dollars. "

Rick "ok so how much do you want for it"

Gun owner " 9,000"

Rick " I'll give you 500 bucks."

My mother was in the shop in vegas over the summer and said its an absolute kip and nothing like on the show.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

garv123 wrote: »
    Gun historian " In this condition the gun is worth about 10,000-12,000 dollars. "

Rick "ok so how much do you want for it"

Gun owner " 9,000"

Rick " I'll give you 500 bucks."

My mother was in the shop in vegas over the summer and said its an absolute kip and nothing like on the show.

Then you haggle and the old man offers 400 bucks :p

Advertisement