Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to Buy

Options
  • 29-03-2012 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Looking to get a Rifle what is a good rifle to start with?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

Have you any experience with rifles?
    What are you looking to do? Target, foxes or rabbits?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

a good rifle to start with would be a cz 452 in .22lr good for target, good for bunny bashing and you if your a good shot can make a clean kill on a fox out to 60-70y. it's more likely you'd be granted a licence for a rimfire be it .22 or 17hmr compared to a centerfire .223 .243 .308 etc... if you have no experience with a rifle. you will also learn alot more imo with a .22 than with a centerfire. ammo would be a big consideration too, you can get 500 rounds of .22 for about fourty euro. now if you look at how much it'd cost you to get 500 rounds of 17hmr or .223 it'd be a hell of a lot more. i would always say to someone starting out to get a .22 as it's the cheapest and most fun and versatile round. and the easiest to licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Aimhere

Thanks for the info just for bunny bashing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

Aimhere wrote: »
    Thanks for the info just for bunny bashing

For bunny bashing you cant go wrong with a cz 452 in .22lr. they are fantastic. every shooter i know has had one and most still have them. they are very accurate striaight out of the box and are cheap to run with ammo, easy to use and cheap to buy. they are well built and last forever. it was my first rifle and IMHO they are the best starter rifle that can be got.

TB26

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

another vote for the .22LR here - plenty versatile, easy to learn on and cheap to feed.

..or if you fancy getting a bit more technical you could go for an air rifle. ;):p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭doyle61

+1 with the .22. i have a cz myself and would be very very reluctant to part with it and i think most lads who have something similar would be the same as me.
    youll learn more about rifle shooting by using a .22 than any other caliber because of the price aswell;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

When it comes to starting of the first caliber recommended is always a .22lr rifle. The reason for this is the rifle, setup, gear, ammo, etc is cheap to buy, and easy to maintain/run.

The limitations with a .22lr are range, and effectiveness on larger game. However if you have no experience with a rifle then i would not suggest jumping into a centrefire rifle. The differnce betwen a rimfire, and centrefire is based on the make up of the round used. See the picture below;
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-59xVtAxq-X8Po0nkwdkF4S3ga56MlMZCzF7bigNmSqcj8T84eg

The round to the left being the rimfire meaning once the bottom/rim of the cartridge is struck by the firing pin the round is discharged. On a centrefire the primer (no 4 on right picture) must be struck which ignites the powder and fires the bullet.

Most rimfires have a range of between 0 - 125 yards, effective range. Centrefire rifles, depending on shooter ability have mush greater effective ranges, and hence need ALOT more experience to handle. Apart from the firearm you need to be aware of your environment, backstop (where the bullet will finish) shot placement, etc. Its not quite as easy as point and pull the trigger.

The best selling and most popular starter rifle is the CZ .22lr.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR-P3yQ9V4wFljLW6gIzx3dQPbvb6_qU8sW7DkMWYYGXW2uBmMn

Th setup above would cost, depending on scope choice, about €800 new or between €300 - €550 second hand. There are a fantastic gun, and if you asked i would say about 70% of rifle shooter either had one or have one.

To find out which rifle you want or more importantly which suits your intended purpose then i would suggest visiting a few rifle ranges, and seeing what others are using, and what they have, use it for, how it works, how effective it is, cost, etc. Most ranges would welcome you, and freely show you around. Simply ring before travleing as some ranges need prior notification before you can turn up.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭German pointer

I agree with the lads here .22 lr is good place to start. I also agree with the CZ 452 as rifle of choice, so much so that I only bought one of them last week.
    New €450 I have scope so did not need that, but I will be mounting it on raised mounts so as I can use the iron sights as well as the scope. This might be something you will consider so as not to be just stuck with a scope and not getting shooting skills on the iron sights. Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Farmlife

Likewise i have the CZ452, got a new synthetic one with scope and silencer for €550. The CZ455 is the new kid on the block, but there's still a few 452's about. Love my 452, will pass it onto my kids

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

I would get either a Remington 700 or Howa 1500.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

FISMA wrote: »
    I would get either a Remington 700 or Howa 1500.

He only wants it for bunny bashing

Advertisement