Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Neighbours' Letters

• 29-03-2012 5:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Looking for a bit of advice. We moved into a house which was previously owned by our neighbours, they built their new house on our side garden. The thing is that we are constantly getting their post in our letterbox. At first I thought that they had not changed their address (from eg 74 to 74A) so we would drop the letters into them on a regular basis.

But now Im beginning to realise that they are still using our address as theirs because a package came to us yesterday for stuff that they had ordered and they obviously gave our house number.

Its not a major hassle to bring the post into them and I wouldnt mind either if it was a genuine mistake by the post office, but I think that they are taking the p!ss now. Ive debated just sending the letters back to the post office marked "not living here" but its just handier to bring it to them.

Is there a way I could find out if the house they live in is registered as 74A? Does anyone have any advice about how to say this to them, ie update your address cos we are sick of delivering your mail to you!

Thanks
    L

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Don't bother delivering it. If they want it, they can come and get it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

put a sign up in your garden saying

if its for Mr. & Mrs xyz then deilver it next door to 74A

if its for Ms LovelyLaura then deliver it here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Send them a letter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 LovelyLaura

Don't bother delivering it. If they want it, they can come and get it

We have been tempted to do that, but the post just sits there on the hallway table for days until one of us gives in! Id feel guilty if I binned it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Does anyone have any advice about how to say this to them, ie update your address cos we are sick of delivering your mail to you!

am, just say this.

say you dont seem to be getting your address right, could you try make more of an effort, as I seem to have to bring it to you every day.

either that or don't bother bringing it to them. they'll soon stop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

if its bothering you on the table, put it in a press or a drawer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

Have a word with the postman . If that does not do any good just drop the post into the nearest postbox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Leave their letters outside in a open basket. After a day or two of rain they'll get "the message".
    Or just keep their letter etc somewhere and claim they never arrived? Then after a week or two "discover" the letters again.

Or walk over and explain you keep getting their mail and would they not change their address? Did you even speak to them about this? What did they say?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Are you renting from them?

There's probably shenanigans going on with the primary residence declared and not having to declare this that and the other - also, the rent income earned from renting rooms in your primary residence is tax free up to a pretty high ceiling so that might be why they are masquarding as living in your gaff still.

Deliver their post to them, but save it up and do it monthly. Else put a sign over your post box so the postie knows the sceal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

recycle bin

You are not their mailboy

First few weeks are fine but it shouldn't be still going on

They are probably scamming revenue tbh and never declared they are getting rent money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Throw anything that doesn't look like a bill out and tell the neighbours their birthday cards and Tesco vouchers never arrived if questioned.

And don't ever accept parcels on their behalf - tell the postman where to bring them to (given you are going to have to answer the front door to receive a parcel anyway). They are only saving themselves a walk to the post office to collect it, cheeky b&ggers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

just say it to them, if you don't want a direct confrontation then the next time you are leaving the letters in then say something like:

The amount of post i keep bringing you i'm sure my christmas tip will huge.

Hopefully they'll get the idea.

Otherwise just say it to them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,789 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Scribble out their address, write "not known at this address", repost letters.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

Throw anything that doesn't look like a bill out and tell the neighbours their birthday cards and Tesco vouchers never arrived if questioned.

And don't ever accept parcels on their behalf - tell the postman where to bring them to (given you are going to have to answer the front door to receive a parcel anyway). They are only saving themselves a walk to the post office to collect it, cheeky b&ggers.

It is an offence under the Post Office Act 1908 to throw out another persons mail. The thing to do is return it to sender or re-address it and put it back in the post.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

No pal ..believe me you hav a prime pair of piss takers here...I bet they run their own business.

Feel guilty...baaad mistake...they feed on prople like you.

I had a similiar issue some years ago whe post from previous owners was delivered on a daily basis.

Did the decent thing for a few week forwarded on the post...no acknowledgement ..no thanks.

Then saw sense and just ripped up any subsequent post ...got a great buzz when Joe Arsehole came around to know if we had got "a very important letter he was expecting."

"No pal" was the very brusque rejoinder he got and sent him on his way.

You have really got to learn these cnunts only understand one language.....:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Does anyone have any advice about how to say this to them

When I want to say something to someone, I use my lungs, larynx and mouth in combination. Air pushed from my lungs passes across my larynx, which can be manipulated by the associated muscles to create sound. When the air (and sound) pass through my mouth, I can shape my jaw, lips and tongue to modify the sound in order to communicate my thoughts to other humans.

You might try something similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,502 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Part of this is your fault. If you told them and the postman the situation, none of this would be happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

FruitLover wrote: »
    Does anyone have any advice about how to say this to them

When I want to say something to someone, I use my lungs, larynx and mouth in combination. Air pushed from my lungs passes across my larynx, which can be manipulated by the associated muscles to create sound. When the air (and sound) pass through my mouth, I can shape my jaw, lips and tongue to modify the sound in order to communicate my thoughts to other humans.

You might try something similar.

Makes sense but you could have put your point across in a less irritating way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

It is an offence under the Post Office Act 1908 to throw out another persons mail. The thing to do is return it to sender or re-address it and put it back in the post.
    ^^^^

This Op, it really is as simple as that.

Just put:

Not known at this address.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement