Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are lap dancing clubs about exploiting men and their credit cards ?

• 29-03-2012 5:54pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭thecommietommy

I was watching some American chat show and they were discussing lap dancing clubs etc. The usual man haters were condemninng them and said they were about exploiting women etc. To which one of the babes replied " Lap dancing clubs aren't about exploiting women, their about expoliting men and their credit cards " !!!!! To which she got a laugh and a round of applause from the audience :D

So, women in particuliar, would you agree with her statement ??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I was watching some American chat show and they were discussing lap dancing clubs etc. The usual man haters were condemninng them and said they were about exploiting women etc. To which one of the babes replied " Lap dancing clubs aren't about exploiting women, their about expoliting men and their credit cards " !!!!! To which she got a laugh and a round of applause from the audience :D

Why women in particular?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭LostCorkGuy

Yes , i'm being exploited and there's nothing I can do about it :(

It's so unjust :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Get a damn job Tommy! :pac:

'Exploitation' is a word thats bandied about too often.

Lap dancing clubs seem to be mutually beneficial to all concerned, the men and the women. Wheres the 'exploitation'???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

I would assume there's a whole world that I don't know about involved in lap dancing / stripping etc., but my first reaction would be that surely most of the girls involved in it choose to do it, to pay bills, same as any job.

as long as the two parties are willing participants, I see no problem.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭thecommietommy

Why women in particular?
    Just to hear their prespective about this so called 'exploitation' of women. If a woman can make hundreds of euros per night by been in a bikini and swinging around a lap dancing pole well good luck to her I say.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Jake1 wrote: »
    'Exploitation' is a word thats bandied about too often.

Lap dancing clubs seem to be mutually beneficial to all concerned, the men and the women. Wheres the 'exploitation'???

Hear, hear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

If a lapdancer can earn more than a doctor or a lawyer, then fair play to them. It's all about money in this commercial age, and they're making serious capital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

cringe

Just to hear their prespective about this so called 'exploitation' of women. If a woman can make hundreds of euros per night by been in a bikini and swinging around a lap dancing pole well good luck to her I say.

But men would have an opinion on that too. It isn't gender specific to have an opinion on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Lap dancing clubs are totally sh*t. The worst type of anti climax. You wouldn't turn up to a bakery, have the baker shove some really nice cakes in your face and then hear him say, 'Don't actually eat that whatever you do'.

It takes two to tango. Feminists might say they exploit women, but the women in the clubs know exactly what they're doing - it's not as if they're doing it against their will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

A fool and his money are soon parted.

token101 wrote: »
    Lap dancing clubs are totally sh*t. The worst type of anti climax. You wouldn't turn up to a bakery, have the baker shove some really nice cakes in your face and then hear him say, 'Don't actually eat that whatever you do'.
    i bet supermodels would pay for that

bluewolf wrote: »
    i bet supermodels would pay for that

Well I wouldn't. I want my cake and I want to f***ing eat it. Otherwise what the f*** is the point having cake? Legalise brothels, tax the sh*t out of hookers and watch the recession drain away like a jonny down the bowl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,923 ✭✭✭SeanW

I think the problem is that feminists are mostly hate-filled lesbians that want to impose Neo-Victorian standards on men.

Exploitation of women (where there's no co-ercion) is such a ridiculous claim that anyone making it should be laughed into oblivion.

Mod

Poster banned

SeanW wrote: »
    I think the problem is that feminists are mostly hate-filled lesbians that want to impose Neo-Victorian standards on men.

They'll turn their bra burning lighters on you next :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Youre goin to the wrong ones!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

I wouldn't have bothered posting in this thread but for the fact you mentioned a bakery:

Several years ago before he got married a friend of mine (honestly, I'm not talking about myself here) would regularly visit the local lap-dancing club because of one particular girl from eastern Europe. This girl did actually work in a bakery during the week and at week-ends would work in the club. She told him that she would make about €600 a night in the club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Lap Dancing clubs are about exploiting fools, a total waste of space, you are never going to click a lap dancer so what is the point.

Go to coppers instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭SteppingStone

Both men and women. As a woman I personally couldn't strip naked for strange men mainly elderly men. Dance on them pretending to be interested in them while they practically drool and pretend to beinterested in them, I think its degrading. Just my opinion.:pac: Wouldn't it be cheaper for men to just have a you know what than to spend stupid amounts of money for someone you can't even touch:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

there was a fella a few years back brought a case against a dublin club for relieving him of 20 grand from his visa card one night.

He lost when the club showed the cctv footage of him ossified and authorising each transaction at the correct timestamp.

fools and their money alright....

still.....BOOBIES! :P

boo to fake boobies :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Mickey Dazzler

Ive been in many many strip clubs and been horrifically exploited in each and every one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

SeanW wrote: »

Exploitation of women (where there's no co-ercion) is such a ridiculous claim that anyone making it should be laughed into oblivion.

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

lol

You're right - there is not much evidence in that post that any real thought took place - but deserving of a ban? Not sure Boards ever set out to be a forum where only politically correct views were to be aired.

The user is undoubtedly wrong in his contention but it is quite well accepted that much of the grass roots of the feminist movement were lesbians and many of them were unquestionably hate filled. Just take a look at the SCUM manifesto for evidence of that and so it is quite understandably (even if incorrect) for people to think of today's feminists in the same vain as the feminists that proceeded them.

Anyway, both sides get exploited in such establishments - in much the same way that both sides do when then Dreamboys and the Chippendales come to town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Bunch of gormless fools with money and smart girls with not very much clothes on.

Let nature take its course I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

No, nobody forces customers to attend lapdancing clubs, therefore where is the exploitation?
    Most of the time, lapdancers choose to do the work (and fair play to them) but there can, in seedier quarters, be coercion into working in the sex industry (including stripping).
    You're right - there is not much evidence in that post that any real thought took place - but deserving of a ban? Not sure Boards ever set out to be a forum where only politically correct views were to be aired.
    Probably because the mods are sick sh1t of that crap being trotted out over and over and over and over - and in fairness, they've been lenient (often too lenient IMO) about it up to now. What was said wasn't politically incorrect, it was just retarded. And based on nothing but something the person "feels".
    it is quite well accepted that much of the grass roots of the feminist movement were lesbians and many of them were unquestionably hate filled.
    Third Wave. What about the women's movements prior to that? Like the Suffragettes. I'm pretty glad those chicks took action.
    Just take a look at the SCUM manifesto for evidence of that and so it is quite understandably (even if incorrect) for people to think of today's feminists in the same vain as the feminists that proceeded them.
    A crazed fringe movement that's hardly going to be taken seriously - and really shouldn't be used as a stick to beat feminism as a whole with. There are some militant, crackpot, man-hating feminists, yes, but tarring all or even most feminism with that brush is getting really tiresome. And it's extremely lazy - and not understandable IMO.
    Re Chippendales etc: no exploitation of the women going to those spectacles whatsoever, and no exploitation of the strippers in the sense that they choose the work - however... women are sometimes allowed to grope the men which is ****ing horrible. Can't believe it's allowed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I can understand some frustrated sex starved man paying for a rattle but what's the point in paying for some chick to shake her tits in your face? Complete waste of money IMO.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

If people want to look at tits i say let them.

If people want to show their tits for money then i say let them.

If people who never ever would dream of entering such establishments are offended by what they perceive might be going on, then i say let them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 markus pride

Women want the liberty to choose to do as they please, but without having to take any responsibility for their own bad choices.

Feminism has induced a complex in women that they are always the victim in any problematic situation, and this attitude will continue to prevail until males and sensible females take a stand against it. The idea that - exploiting men's weakness for the female form to gain money - is in fact exploitative of women is thoroughly absurd, and I'm glad this ridiculous stance was shut down on television where usually the woman is a supreme being who is always right.

Why women in particular?
    I'll hazard a guess: OP is hoping for angry outraged women (whom he imagines are plentiful) to post enraged responses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Dudess wrote: »
    I'll hazard a guess: OP is hoping for angry outraged women (whom he imagines are plentiful) to post enraged responses.

I miss your battles with Outlaw Pete! :(

But that's just it, women don't have to be outraged Rad-fems to believe in absurd feminist notions as they're accepted in the mainstream, even by many men manginas.

Such as?

Women want the liberty to choose to do as they please, but without having to take any responsibility for their own bad choices.
    Examples?
    Feminism has induced a complex in women that they are always the victim in any problematic situation
    This notion, held by some, existed long before feminism. Thought feminism encouraged women not to be victims and the extreme end discouraged chivalry?

• Advertisement

Such as?

Fake statistics for things such as the gap in wages between the genders, rape, domestic violence etc. Also other lies such as how women are generally exploited in the sex industry/strip clubs etc.

Examples?

The sex industry comes to mind; women choose to get into it then blame men when it damages them psychologically. It's all too persistent in the court systems as well where women are always favored and receive a much lighter sentence than man do for identical crimes.

This notion, held by some, existed long before feminism.

I know it did. It's a part of natural human instinct to hold women in high regard and to see them as always being innocent. But it has persisted even in modern times where it's now irrelevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,655 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Last year, I was in Poland for a lads weekend. We got pretty drunk the first night and after looking at the city map we got in the hostel, decided to go to a strip club.

While sitting at our table, a stripper asked if I wanted a lap dance for 100 zlote (bout €24). A combination of me being hammered and being egged on by my mates decided 'sure, why not'. She took the money and told me to wait a few minutes, so I promptly forgot about it. Anyway, another stripper asked me if I wanted a lap dance and thinking it was the same one, I said OK! Anyway, she took me to the bar and asked me to pay. I initially refused cos I had already paid, but she insisted on me paying. I thought "Goddman polish strippers, ripping me off", but it was my first (and possibly only) time in a strip club and I was determined to get a lap dance, so I paid the money.

Anyway, the stripper led me to the back where the private dance rooms were where the first stripper was waiting. The two looked at each other, looked at me and started talking in polish. They asked if I had paid them both, talked more polish and then asked me "If you want, we can both give you a dance at the same time. We will be kissing and stuff". I rubbed my hands with glee and said "ok!", and got my double lap dance.

Long story short: Polish strip club exploited me and gave me 2 strippers for the price of 2.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

Last year, I was in Poland for a lads weekend. We got pretty drunk the first night and after looking at the city map we got in the hostel, decided to go to a strip club.

While sitting at our table, a stripper asked if I wanted a lap dance for 100 zlote (bout €24). A combination of me being hammered and being egged on by my mates decided 'sure, why not'. She took the money and told me to wait a few minutes, so I promptly forgot about it. Anyway, another stripper asked me if I wanted a lap dance and thinking it was the same one, I said OK! Anyway, she took me to the bar and asked me to pay. I initially refused cos I had already paid, but she insisted on me paying. I thought "Goddman polish strippers, ripping me off", but it was my first (and possibly only) time in a strip club and I was determined to get a lap dance, so I paid the money.

Anyway, the stripper led me to the back where the private dance rooms were where the first stripper was waiting. The two looked at each other, looked at me and started talking in polish. They asked if I had paid them both, talked more polish and then asked me "If you want, we can both give you a dance at the same time. We will be kissing and stuff". I rubbed my hands with glee and said "ok!", and got my double lap dance.

Long story short: Polish strip club exploited me and gave me 2 strippers for the price of 2.

Sounds horrible. You ok?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Lap dancing clubs are for married men throwing their money about

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Probably because the mods are sick sh1t of that crap being trotted out over and over and over and over - and in fairness, they've been lenient (often too lenient IMO) about it up to now. What was said wasn't politically incorrect, it was just retarded. And based on nothing but something the person "feels".

To be fair it's not exactly common to ban people because they said something retarded in AH about an ideology based just on how they feel... seems pretty odd.

(But this is feedback territory stuff I guess.)

Fake statistics for things such as the gap in wages between the genders, rape, domestic violence etc. Also other lies such as how women are generally exploited in the sex industry/strip clubs etc.
    The sex industry comes to mind; women choose to get into it then blame men when it damages them psychologically. It's all too persistent in the court systems as well where women are always favored and receive a much lighter sentence than man do for identical crimes.

I know it did. It's a part of natural human instinct to hold women in high regard and to see them as always being innocent. But it has persisted even in modern times where it's now irrelevant.
    So therefore it can't have been created by feminism, which again, tends to advise women not to accept being treated in an old-fashioned way, the weaker sex etc - well the more extreme end of it.
    Court bias - yes, it's true, but not created by feminism - by a number of men actually. You make some fair points but not always black and white as you present them. For instance, a woman without much savvy might choose to work in the sex industry and then get treated dreadfully, not what she had expected.
    What you're talking about - I really can't see how feminism has caused it. And what women do you mean? Obviously you know that women are individuals and it's not really fair to shove them into a big homogenous group.

strobe wrote: »
    To be fair it's not exactly common to ban people because they said something retarded in AH about an ideology based just on how they feel... seems pretty odd.

(But this is feedback territory stuff I guess.)

Mod

You are free to have any opinion you wish. How you decide to voice that opinion is a completely different matter.

If anyone wishes to discuss it feel free to PM. No more discussion of mod actions on thread please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

No. No-one forces any man to go to these clubs. It's his own choice how he spends his money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,341 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

So therefore it can't have been created by feminism, which again, tends to advise women not to accept being treated in an old-fashioned way, the weaker sex etc - well the more extreme end of it.
    Court bias - yes, it's true, but not created by feminism - by a number of men actually. You make some fair points but not always black and white as you present them. For instance, a woman without much savvy might choose to work in the sex industry and then get treated dreadfully, not what she had expected.
    What you're talking about - I really can't see how feminism has caused it. And what women do you mean? Obviously you know that women are individuals and it's not really fair to shove them into a big homogenous group.

I read some statistics recently about court bias. It works both ways. Apparently there are certain crimes that women are more likely to be found innocent for and some they are more likely to be found guilty for. Don't ask me which, I honestly can't remember.

I have a strip club story. First time in a strip club... I was on holidays with some friends. And we couldn't find a bar. We passed a strip club and since none of us had been to one we said "one beer. They'll probably charge a fortune, but we can have one and then go looking for a bar. Hell, they might be able to tell us where to go."

We go in, and the place is empty because it's 9pm. We have a seat and a load of strippers come over. One of them says "Will you buy me a drink?". My friend says sure. A bottle of champagne arrived. I thought "Oh ****". So we kinda agree we're leaving as soon as the beers are over and no more champagne.

We get the bill. I was thinking it would be 100 euro for the champagne. Oh no... It was five hundred euro.

And here's the thing. We didn't even get a dance.

They saw us coming a mile off :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

If men were in their rightful place ie at work earning money, we wouldn't have this exploitation!

The masculinist movement wanted half naked ladies and got them-so don't start complaining about exploitation :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

It's a transaction. Open to exploitation on either side, like most transactions are.

Not my cup of tea - but I did rent out Catwoman once, so I'm not in a position to judge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Just take a look at the SCUM manifesto for evidence of that and so it is quite understandably (even if incorrect) for people to think of today's feminists in the same vain as the feminists that proceeded them.

That was a crazed manifesto written by a single women that went on to shoot somebody and was jailed.

What's the point here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

There seem to be a lot of assumptions in this thread about women choosing to work as strippers etc., as if it was a career move, like, say, plumbing, or accountancy.

I find it hard to believe that many people would choose freely to work as a stripper/lapdancer/etc...I expect that if they had other options, they would take them .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

FoxT wrote: »
    There seem to be a lot of assumptions in this thread about women choosing to work as strippers etc., as if it was a career move, like, say, plumbing, or accountancy.

I find it hard to believe that many people would choose freely to work as a stripper/lapdancer/etc...I expect that if they had other options, they would take them .
    They have the option of not working as strippers. They just probably won't have as much money.

Some people are exhibitionists. Nobody gets all upset at the supposed victimhood of male strippers do they? So consider who is being sexist here.

• Advertisement
Advertisement