Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golden Retriever for stud..Any advice?

• 29-03-2012 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

Hi all. Sorry this is in the wrong section but the animal section was closed and wouldn't let me start a thread.

So I have a 2 and half year old male Golden Retriever. I am going to get him neutered but before I do so I would like to put him up for stud before he loses his bits:)

He is a full breed has his papers from the IKC up to date with all vaccinations and in great health.

I have never done this type of thing before can anybody tell me how I go about this and what way does it work out, pup and fund wise?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Can you tell me why on earth you want to do this if you are getting your dog neutered?? It doesnt make sense.
    Have you had your dog hip scored for a start? How dog you know hes worthy to breed from?
    Have you ever shown him at championship shows? Have you ever worked your dog? If the answer is no, then you should not be even considering breeding your dog.
    I just cant understand why you would even consider breeding him if you are neutering him:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Having IKC papers means nothing.

Have you looked into the genetic health issues in the breed, and had the dog tested for them accordingly? Getting him hip scored would be a definite one - this costs around €120-150 I think, x rays are taken and sent away to the BVA in the UK for scoring. It is an indication as to whether the dog may pass on hip dysplacia to its offspring.

As the owner of the stud dog, are you prepared to be responsible for all of the pups for the rest of their lives? If they aren't sold (and there are a lot of unsold pups in Ireland now, the money has dried up, and so people aren't buying puppies) or if they have to be given up by their owners at any age?

Unless your dog has been health tested for the genetic health issues in that breed, and has shown its prowess in the field, or at shows, no reputable bitch owner will use your dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭SteppingStone

andreac wrote: »
    Can you tell me why on earth you want to do this if you are getting your dog neutered?? It doesnt make sense.
    Have you had your dog hip scored for a start? How dog you know hes worthy to breed from?
    Have you ever shown him at championship shows? Have you ever worked your dog? If the answer is no, then you should not be even considering breeding your dog.
    I just cant understand why you would even consider breeding him if you are neutering him:confused:[/QUOTE

Yes I can tell you why on earth I want to breed my own dog! Firstly because he comes from a championship bloodline. He is a gun dog and I want to have a pup of his bloodline. No I have not shown him at championship shows..Why should I? Golden retrievers are prone to bone problems which he has been checked for monthly at our local vets along with my other two rescue dogs. That is how I know he is in good health. Of course it makes sense! Studding should be done after your dog is two years old so that is why I waited in case I would like to do this and neutering will be taking place because it lowers the risk of cancer and health problems for dogs.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

No advertising stud dogs.Thread locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement