Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thin wood but not balsa

Options
  • 29-03-2012 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

Sorry if I am in the wrong area but I need the help of other model builders. I build miniature houses and am trying to source bass/jelutong or obechi wood in the Dublin area. I want this to make 1:12 scale furniture, windows doors etc. I do not want to use balsa wood as it is too soft and fragile.

Does anyone know where I can go in Dublin to buy such wood. I imagine that people who build model ships etc. from scratch (without a kit) might be able to help. Also I am looking for things called 'belaying pins' - and if possible some brass tubing!!

Any help will be most gratefully received by the damsel in distress!!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Katzi wrote: »
    Sorry if I am in the wrong area but I need the help of other model builders. I build miniature houses and am trying to source bass/jelutong or obechi wood in the Dublin area. I want this to make 1:12 scale furniture, windows doors etc. I do not want to use balsa wood as it is too soft and fragile.

Does anyone know where I can go in Dublin to buy such wood. I imagine that people who build model ships etc. from scratch (without a kit) might be able to help. Also I am looking for things called 'belaying pins' - and if possible some brass tubing!!

Any help will be most gratefully received by the damsel in distress!!

@ Katzi: Ships fittings are available from Dublin based Green Hobby & Model ( www.greenhobbymodel.com) who stock parts used to scratch build model ships, like thin woods, brass tubing, tiny brass nails, railings, minature doors & hinges.
    On the thin woods: microply (birch) pine & spruce are there all the time. Mahogany, teak and lime are in tiny planks but you have to order obechi.

There was another stockist of ships parts in Dungarvan or Waterford, if you're located in the south east. I never learned his name. A modeller from Cork mentioned him to me so I know he exists.

I never saw basswood in Ireland. I think it's a US modelling material, and my understanding is that pine and spruce are used for the same purpose this side of the Atlantic. I saw it once in the UK under the brand name Midwest. A US based hobby shop would have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Katzi

Thank you coolwings. I will pay them a visit next week. It would be great to get things like small hinges etc. as well. Thanks again. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Whizzzz

A lot of the smaller 'Balsa' strips are actually basswood - the two get mixed up quite a lot. Depending on how wide and thick you want the wood you might find what you are looking for in Mark Models in Hawkins street or Dunlaoghaire shopping centre or the Model Shop in Capel street (if you live in Dublin). Sometimes they have light plywood and/or a reasonable selection of balsa wood (inc some basswood strips)

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Katzi

Thank you Whizzz. Will take a look!

Advertisement