Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which is a bigger deal - your 18th party or 21st party?

• 29-03-2012 6:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

For the last few years,your 21st always seemed such a big deal,now it seems the 18th is. I'm 17 and won't be 18 till next year. Practically everyone in my school is throwing 18 birthday parties.

I've no idea whether if I should throw a party and most of the people are inviting everyone from school(from event on facebook),even people they've never talked to before.

I think I'd just have a small party,maybe out clubbing or something with my friends and then have a huge party for my 21st,idk though.

Which is a bigger deal,the 18th or the 21st?? :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

Neither, they're overrated and it seems to be the most annoying people that throw the biggest/make the biggest fuss over them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

Ah you're just a baba!

40th is where it's at, can't wait for mine :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Depends really, would having a party entail A. Getting a big bunch of good friends together for a laugh or B. Be a piss up with free food for a bunch of plebs you don't really care about ?

You can tell I only have small parties for a few friends can't you :pac:

got sick of the big parties for 21sts and had a small one by the time my turn came around - went down to the pub with a bunch of friends
    i think my family were disappointed i didnt want to do the usual "book a venue and hire a dj and have LOTS of people" routine but no thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Whichever you get most money for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Tesco Massacre

My friends and I had plans to get drunk for mine...we ended up going to Laser Quest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭fiinch

i liked going to my friends 18 and 21sts but i'd hate to be the center of attention like that. i went on a weekend away to london for my 21st to go to a gig with some friends but it was just a coincidence my birthday was the same night and we celebrated it. my 18th was on English paper one so at least i had an excuse not to throw a party

so yeah didn't have a party for either and don't regret it at all, i know a few peopel who were really let down by attendance and other things on their big night but really it's not that big a deal at all.

edit - i totally forgot about relatives giving you cash. invite ALL of them, you could pick up a few grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

My friends and I had plans to get drunk for mine...we ended up going to Laser Quest.

You could have done both? Take a few cans and shoot people. No harm in that, it's what they do in the Southern United States. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

My 18th was better craic, just a few drinks and things with mates. 21st was crap, felt like I had to do something and half arsedly organised it days before into something that should not have happened. Didn't bother doing anything for the 30th.
    Can't be fecked organising parties for myself. Thank the lord I won't have to lift a finger for me funeral.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

I didn't have either. (cos no one loves me)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

whichever prvides the greater opportunity to get some sex

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

They are generally ****e. Getting stuck upstairs in some pub. The only thing that saves them is if they have chicken goujons and sandwiches. I have cleaned plates of them at 21sts. Great soakage as well so you can keep on drinking till 6 in the morning after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

I didnt have an 18th party and probably will avoid having a 21st. Theres something I hate about birthdays when people wish you happy birthday etc. Its only a birthday, I would much prefer if it was just another normal day :(

cocoshovel wrote: »
    I didnt have an 18th party and probably will avoid having a 21st. Theres something I hate about birthdays when people wish you happy birthday etc. Its only a birthday, I would much prefer if it was just another normal day :(

i love the ones where they have "congratulations" banners

congrats on not dying yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

My 18th was smack bang in the middle of the Leaving Cert, so I didn't do anything for it. My 21st was smack bang in the middle of my final college exams. So I threw a big party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Neither was a big deal for me. I'm 36 years old and the only birthday party I've ever had was when I turned nine.

Didn't have anything big for my 18th but had a big 21st alright, booked out a function room in the local hotel, DJ and food etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

For my 18th I was a recruit in the army.. for my 21st I was under fire in Lebanon.. For my 30th I was sh*t faced in Ibiza, for my 40th I was in denial. for my 45 I was still in denial, God only know's what my 50ths will be like - hopefully it'll be sh*t faced in Ibiza again 'cause I'll still be in denial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

My 21'st was homelands... messy as ****.

Were as my 18th was a few scoops in a pub that threw me out for being under-age... though I think they were just annoyed that i was celebrating my 18th there after being fairly regular in the preceding months :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Talk about depressing replies from people! So many of my friends have said their 21st was one of the best nights of their lives, and my own 18th was a great night, but I would consider a 21st bigger.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Talk about depressing replies from people! So many of my friends have said their 21st was one of the best nights of their lives, and my own 18th was a great night, but I would consider a 21st bigger.

Sounds like a pretty un-eventfull life :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

My wife's family are from Kerry, 18th (and every other age it seems) birthday parties are huge business down there, the local papers are full of photos of them. You would see less cleavage in FHM. Tis great.
    I don't see the big deal about celebrating birthdays. Too much fuss is made of everything these days from christenings to communions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭Thefirestarter

Lollipop95 wrote: »
    I've no idea whether if I should throw a party and most of the people are inviting everyone from school(from event on facebook),even people they've never talked to before.

I think I'd just have a small party,maybe out clubbing or something with my friends and then have a huge party for my 21st,idk though.

Which is a bigger deal,the 18th or the 21st?? :)

I had a huge gaf party for my 18th, had plebs that I didn't know turn up, you spend the night watching people so they dont do anything stupid etc etc...

Have your VERY best mates round, plenty of beer (if you drink), xbox/playstation, or make a day out it (BBQ +Big sports game + the latter named ideas).

Enjoy:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

21st is the bigger deal, if you're into throwing big parties for them. The problem with going out for an 18th is that it's unlikely the whole group are also 18. Best off having a small house party.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Whats wrong with just going for a pint with your da on you 18th?

Thats what I did and it was fantastic!!

Which reminds me, I must give him a call this weekend for a catch up

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭gamgsam

Neither were a big deal, both were great nights which are still talked about among my close friends.

Big deal nights are to impress people who you don't really know. Teenage politics and all that.

As the great prince buster said;

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

For my 18th I was a recruit in the army.. for my 21st I was under fire in Lebanon.. For my 30th I was sh*t faced in Ibiza, for my 40th I was in denial. for my 45 I was still in denial, God only know's what my 50ths will be like - hopefully it'll be sh*t faced in Ibiza again 'cause I'll still be in denial.
    You spent 5 years in an Egyptian river? :eek: Shit man you've had it tough..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Orizio wrote: »
    I didn't have either
    16?

no, i didnt have a party for mine either, didnt even go out.
    but a mate had a 21st, marquee in the back garden,loads of people, slabs of beer, DJ, set of decks, serious tunes pumping till maybe 9 the next morning, good times. think i might do something simalar for my 30th

Advertisement