Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fishing in cratloe

Options
  • 29-03-2012 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭

Hi does any one know if cratloe lake in cratloe has fish in it as thinking about going there soon to fish thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭BoarHunter

there is fish in Cratloe all right. You need to be a good caster as there is a lot of lillies. I use to live on the woodcock hill and I fished roach and Pike in there. Must be Perch as well I reckon.

Be careful, the ground on the wood side can be dangerous when very wet but if you stick to the picnic place no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Cynortas

thanks boar

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

There is a small number of tench there as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 joeyturbo

arnt there carp in there aswell?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Is the access reasonable easy? Any chance of some larger pike in there? I tried fishing in Curraghchase recently and it was an epic failure. I hear there are some serious Pike in there, but with all the reeds, the access is appalling :/

Any suggestions as to methods? Would a spinner be OK?

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Carp. Yes. To specimen size.

Planet X wrote: »
    Carp. Yes. To specimen size.
    Thanks. It's just I've heard that pine needles acidify the water and affect populations.

And you say there are large carp there? What about pike? (I'm not sure if you're post is referring to Cratloe or Curraghchase... :/)

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

was up there a few weeks ago and spotted a large carp close to the picnic area among the lillies,plenty of them there

What kind of methods would you suggest? I've never caught carp before.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

never fished for carp either but its fairly hard fom what i hear,its not as easy as putting out your bait,you have to prebait the area for days and if you spook them you can forget about it.
    I think you need a quiet area and not that picnic place because of noise and activity,i have seen people fishing on the other side but not sure how to get over there,i always look at google earth to find access to fishing areas that are not busy.
    try the net like youtube for tips also

• Advertisement

Thanks very much.

There are pike in there, yes? Perhaps I might just go for them.

Advertisement