Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dealer or not?

Options
  • 29-03-2012 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭

As you all probably know i have been trying to sell my .308 but i havent had any interest at all:eek: so know im wondering should i drop it into a dealer to sell??? i have a few questions

1: will a dealer charge me for selling?
    2: how do i choose the right dealer?
    3: my licence is up in a few months should i wait till then?

As usual all advice will be greatly appricated

TB26

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    1: will a dealer charge me for selling?
    Most likely.

If they take it in the first place, which is a big if with some, they usually have either a set fee or a set out a percentage of the final sale price of the rifle.
    2: how do i choose the right dealer?
    I have dealt with many dealers over the years. However i would go to certain dealers over others for specific things. For example your rifle is a designated target rifle. No point in leaving into a dealer you know if he trades almost exclusively to hunting lads, or in shotguns, etc. Now while it may sell there it could take months or possibly over a year.

My advice would be to contact a couple of dealers that deal with target shooters. They have a much more specific customer base that would your rifle would appeal to. I've seen a lovely rifle sitting in a certain dealers shop for over 2 years now. Simply because it is a target gun in a shop that deals with hunting rifles, and shotgun shooters primarily.
    3: my licence is up in a few months should i wait till then?
    You cannot shoot the rifle as it is so why wait. Until the rifle actually sells you are still licensed on it so no harm letting the license run. If the license is about to expire then you need to make the decision to re-apply or sign it over to the dealer meaning you cannot take it out again, and it must stay with him.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

Thanks ezridax. could you recommend a dealer? was thinking maybe jim griffen?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Jim definitely would be the first that comes to mind. He has a large customer base of target shooters, and as i had reason to be over with him a few times a couple of weks ago has a large amount of foot traffic.

Of course my recommendation is just that, a recommendation. It in no way would guarantee that he or any dealer would take the rifle. I know one dealer for over 10 years now, have bought plenty of stuff from him, and i wouldn't even ask him to sell one of mine because i know he simply doesn't do it.

No harm in ringing and asking i suppose.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

Ezridax wrote: »
    Jim definitely would be the first that comes to mind. He has a large customer base of target shooters, and as i had reason to be over with him a few times a couple of weks ago has a large amount of foot traffic.

Of course my recommendation is just that, a recommendation. It in no way would guarantee that he or any dealer would take the rifle. I know one dealer for over 10 years now, have bought plenty of stuff from him, and i wouldn't even ask him to sell one of mine because i know he simply doesn't do it.

No harm in ringing and asking i suppose.

i was thinkin jim might be best with him been envolved with the club.

Advertisement