Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeat L.Cert fees

• 29-03-2012 8:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

So, this year, I repeat. :(

But, I really don't understand how my repeat exam fees could possible cost more than twice what the other L.certs pay....
    The question is, is there really any need for me to pay more than what my fellow 6th years have to pay, I mean really? I'm doing one less subject and it's not like you can easily justify such a jump up in the price.? :confused:

For those who might suggest that it's something to discourage mass repeat-age, well, i'd just like to say that the thoughts of spending an extra year in school with a new English, Irish and maths course is enough to discourage many.

Thoughts please. :)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Presumably the SEC have some basis for charging more. It's not really an issue anyone on this forum knows much about.

Personally, I don't think anyone should have to pay examination fees, but I know how far I'd get with that idea in a climate where schools can't afford to buy board markers.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 93 ✭✭smurphy11

the way they see it is that you have gotten 1 chance at your lc and thats enough for everyone. so for repeats you have to pay extra, kind of like extra fees added to parking tickets who havent been paid on time. It is fair? i think so, the people who decide this have the authority to increase the fees and i cant really think of a good reason for anyone to oppose this. thats just life you dont often get 2nd chances and when you do be grateful.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭siobhanod93

smurphy11 wrote: »
    the way they see it is that you have gotten 1 chance at your lc and thats enough for everyone. so for repeats you have to pay extra, kind of like extra fees added to parking tickets who havent been paid on time. It is fair? i think so, the people who decide this have the authority to increase the fees and i cant really think of a good reason for anyone to oppose this. thats just life you dont often get 2nd chances and when you do be grateful.

I'm not repeating, but I have some friends that are. It is totally unfair that they have to pay over double the price for the exams! It's not as if they are causing the SEC any more trouble!

It's not a cheap year for them either! They have to buy new sets of exam papers for some subjects, make new friends and have to go through the whole process again.

For some people, the exams just did not go their way last year and it cannot be justified that they must pay €301! It is not as if they actually want to repeat.

Sorry if I come across as a bit harsh, and everybody has their own opinion on it. This is just mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Lostmymam

People repeat to get the course they want, not some course that is only there as a back up to their back up. I've seen too many people going to college for the sake of going to college just because they didn't want the effort and expense of another year in school (books, exam papers, repeat fees, revision books, grinds....). And then what happens to them after a year? they drop out. Waste of a grant, loans, parents money.....

Yes, it makes sense now to charge €301 to discourage people repeating and instead encouraging them to enter courses that they are totally unsuited to.

i don't think it's fair to be charged so much extra. Some people may be getting a's and b's all along in 5th and 6th year and then in the actual lcert they may only get a c in their best subject/s. Exams can be overwhelming especially since they have so much emphasis put on them. Also many people know that you usually only get one shot at it, adding to the stress.

We shouldn't be penalised just because we really want that course, or because we are not quite sure yet of what we want to do. We are not the wasters that spend time disrupting classes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Lostmymam wrote: »
    People repeat to get the course they want, not some course that is only there as a back up to their back up. I've seen too many people going to college for the sake of going to college just because they didn't want the effort and expense of another year in school (books, exam papers, repeat fees, revision books, grinds....). And then what happens to them after a year? they drop out. Waste of a grant, loans, parents money.....

Yes, it makes sense now to charge €301 to discourage people repeating and instead encouraging them to enter courses that they are totally unsuited to.

i don't think it's fair to be charged so much extra. Some people may be getting a's and b's all along in 5th and 6th year and then in the actual lcert they may only get a c in their best subject/s. Exams can be overwhelming especially since they have so much emphasis put on them. Also many people know that you usually only get one shot at it, adding to the stress.

We shouldn't be penalised just because we really want that course, or because we are not quite sure yet of what we want to do. We are not the wasters that spend time disrupting classes.

The Leaving Cert is heavily subsided by the Dept of Education as it is. You get one crack at it at the subsidised rate. If you choose to repeat, whatever your reasons are - the SEC aren't interested in your reasons, you are are not going to be subsidised for it a second time. You are not entitled to free education forever.

Just like if you have to repeat exams or a year in college you will have to pay for it and you will find the fees far heftier at third level, you may find yourself coughing up 5-6k for a repeat year in college.

I also don't buy into having to buy everything new the second time around. This may only be the case if you change school. The vast majority of books will be the same unless you take up a new subject. You should still be able to use the same exam papers as last year, all you need to do is print a copy of the papers from the last year's exams, revision books should still be ok, the syllabus in most subjects (except perhaps English & Music), doesn't change from year to year.

The sense of entitlement among students seems to get worse by the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭leavingcert.

Lostmymam wrote: »
    So, this year, I repeat. :(

But, I really don't understand how my repeat exam fees could possible cost more than twice what the other L.certs pay....
    The question is, is there really any need for me to pay more than what my fellow 6th years have to pay, I mean really? I'm doing one less subject and it's not like you can easily justify such a jump up in the price.? :confused:

For those who might suggest that it's something to discourage mass repeat-age, well, i'd just like to say that the thoughts of spending an extra year in school with a new English, Irish and maths course is enough to discourage many.

Thoughts please. :)

TBH I think repeats should consider themselves lucky! At the end of the day the 116 euro we pay would barely cover all the costs involved: exam papers, booklets, examiners, invigilators, orals, listening tapes etc. To be given a second chance at doing the Leaving is good- they could just say well if ya don't get it the first time-tough! You have to remember the extra costs involved in educating the person for the extra year aswell!

Advertisement