Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Excessive Noise from neighbours

Options
  • 29-03-2012 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭

So another evening of my next door neighbour blaring music.

I've tried so many times to be polite and ask them to keep the noise down but whenever they offload the kids we get subjected to non stop techno right through the night.

Their youngest kid loves playing with our dog and yesterday he told me he cant wait to go home to Poland for the easter holidays, off they went in the car today but the parents landed back an hour ago and then the party starts.

We dont know our landlord (deal with estate agent) but when we signed our contracts we accidentally were given a copy of next doors which had the same landlords name on it.

At this stage I want to go down the formal route of ending this but our neighbours pay significantly more rent than us so I'd imagine he'd push us out quicker than them. (if it came to that)

Any advice on how to go about this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

If you can't get the landlord to do anything, and you probably won't be able to, the simplest thing to do is move. I know that'll be a pain in the ass etc. but there is little to no legislation governing noise pollution in Ireland.

The Guards will do nothing as it is a civil matter, you could try ringing the Environment Department of the Council but realistically that will come to nothing as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭mmc2010

I'd start playing my loud music when their kids are ready to go to bed.... and see how they like it...... its mean but hey, if they're not playing fair why should you...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Try writing a letter to the landlord explaining what is going on. If he doesn't do something about it then you can lodge a case with the PRTB about anti social behaviour. The landlord is obliged to act in the even of his tenants anti social activity.
    Depending on how long you have been renting the house the landlord will be unable to give you 'the push'.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

bobmalooka wrote: »
    At this stage I want to go down the formal route of ending this but our neighbours pay significantly more rent than us so I'd imagine he'd push us out quicker than them. (if it came to that)

I would have said that pounding techno music would be a issue for the surrounding apartments and any new tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Do you live in a managed complex (ie an apartment building)? If so get onto the management company and get them to sort it; they will have rules regulating when quiet periods must be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

The estate is mostly detached houses, there is 1 row of semi detached houses and my neighbour is the last one and (I'm second last).

Field behind us and communal green in front so I dont think it would affect anyone else.

There is no management company, out of about 40 houses less than 10 are rented.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

I would have said that pounding techno music would be a issue for the surrounding apartments and any new tenants.

Its in an estate that has remained in demand despite a huge surplus of houses in the area. House 3 doors up was on daft monday, people moving in today. So he would have no hassle getting tenants.

He is getting way more from the techno lovers than he would get from new tenants so if he had to get new tenants for one house I presume he would choose mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 noisehelp

Sorry OP you are presuming way too much. The easiest thing to do is go through the proper channels, play it by the book and see how things go that way.

There is little point in coming on here for advice, being given some, and then saying 'ah I don't think that'll work because he gets more rent out of the other people so he'd pick them over me'.

Also I can't express enough how ridiculous I find the notion of giving them a dose of their own medicine by beginning to partake in anti social behaviour is.

I had a similar situation. Start logging the times and dates of when this is going on. Make recordings of the noise on your premises while this is going on in order to show the levels of disturbance caused to you. Register your complaints with the relevant parties and work from there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

noisehelp wrote: »
    Sorry OP you are presuming way too much. The easiest thing to do is go through the proper channels, play it by the book and see how things go that way.

There is little point in coming on here for advice, being given some, and then saying 'ah I don't think that'll work because he gets more rent out of the other people so he'd pick them over me'.

Also I can't express enough how ridiculous I find the notion of giving them a dose of their own medicine by beginning to partake in anti social behaviour is.

I had a similar situation. Start logging the times and dates of when this is going on. Make recordings of the noise on your premises while this is going on in order to show the levels of disturbance caused to you. Register your complaints with the relevant parties and work from there.

Agree completely. The OP has already received the advice he should take ie the proper channels but insists on clinging to the point of the neighbours paying more rent than him therefore he will be evicted. Never mind that it would most likely be an illegal eviction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Talking it out with the neighbours is the first step and the only one where common sense can reign true if both sides are agreeable...however, the very fact theyre playing this music so loud and repeditive that its causing stress, means the liklihood of success is quite small..

if that fails, then written notification is next...then taking them to court under the noise pollution act is the next step...but you'll also need to notify the landlord...also need to keep a record of all noise - times dates etc...and what affect it had on you....

If you don't want to do that, you could consider moving but the above is the process I'm afraid...

• Advertisement
Advertisement