Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carpet resistant to cat claws?

• 29-03-2012 8:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 188 ✭✭

Hi all,

Strange request I know, but I was wondering if anyone knows of a particular type of carpet that is better than others at standing up to a cat using it as a scratching post?!

My little guy loves clawing at the bottom and top steps of our stairs. He doesn't really sharpen, it's more of a territorial, paw pad scent distribution kind of clawing! He has 2 scratching mats and a wicker laundry basket that he uses for scratching and has access to the great outdors with tree bark galore but just loves the carpet too. I tried to encourage him to use a couple of mats instead but no, he didn't take to them at all.

So, I've resigned myself to the fact that he's not going to stop, but we're getting new carpet fitted in the stairs and landing and I want to minimise the damage done. I don't want the new carpet to look tatty after just a few weeks.

Can anyone recommend a type of carpet that would be more forgiving, or types to avoid completely? All I've found online so far is to avoid loop carpets but more advice would be very much appreciated!

Thanks,
    Mad cat woman decorating her house around her cats needs. Sigh. ;-)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

im in a rented property and have worries about the same kind of thing...
    i spoke to a woman at carpet world who has 30 years experience and she recommended low pile carpet and definitely no loops!

another option would be a runner...a friend of mine has a thick sisal runner on her stairs ( wood painted white underneath, very pretty!) and the cats can claw to their hearts content doing no damage...the sisal is so strong and thick it take as much hacking as the kitties like with no sign whatsever

if i had my own house thats what i would be doing... i love cats way more than carpet so there would be plenty of rugs instead :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 188 ✭✭mariannewims

Thanks a million for your reply, Lolo, very helpful :)

Mar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭u_c_thesecond

hi sorry ive no advice on this but this made me laugh my head off:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I got a big sisal mat from Ikea, it was less than 100 euro and should hold up to cat damage no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

Don't worry, I bought my sofa with the cats in mind. I went around the showrooms doing little scratches at the fabric. Luckily the dog likes it too:)

I also avoided looped carpets - and mine get a haircut every so often with scissors where they've been fuzzied by claws.

• Advertisement
Advertisement