Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

which 46" 3D TV - Sony or Panasonic?

• 29-03-2012 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

I'm in the market for a new TV and am trying to make my mind up.
    I've decided on 2 things, 3d & 46 inch. FreeSat is nice to have but I can do that later possibly with a separate receiver
    Looking around, Currys have what looks like a great deal on a Sony KDL-46HX82 which comes with a 3d Blue Ray player for €999.
    They also have the Panasonic TX-P46ST30B for €999
    Pixmania have the version Panasonic TX-P46GT30E which receives Freesat for €899 + €65 shipping
    I know Panasonic has a reputation for a great picture but my concern is their incomplete support for Saorview.
    Googling that Sony model doesn't bring up a whole lot of local information other than the picture quality is very good - so wondering which to go for?
    Any thoughts?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Some Panasonic models have been recently approved for Saorview. What about Samsung and LG. A range of passive 3D sets with cheap glasses from LG got good reviews in a range of TV, HiFi and gadget magazines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

gok wrote: »
    Pixmania have the version Panasonic TX-P46GT30E which receives Freesat for €899 + €65 shipping
    I know Panasonic has a reputation for a great picture but my concern is their incomplete support for Saorview.

That Panasonic that ends in E doesnt have Freesat, it has a DVB-S2 tuner. The model that ends in B (for UK markket does have Freesat). The difference is the Freesat Software which does all the tuning in the background and has the red button, 7 day epg etc.

Neither of those Panasonic's are Saorview approved (word of warning, if you want Saorview, do not stray outside those approved with Pani ranges).

Another option might be the LG 47LW450U which is Saorview approved and has had very favourable reviews (3D but no Satellite tuner).

Good site for reviews.

€799 in Curry's as compared to €940+ elsewhere.

Samsung (Samsung UE46D8000) also have a combined 3d, Freesat and Saorview approved TV, which has had fantastic reviews (5 ot of 5 at techradar) but but but.... is €1500.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭gok

Thx for those links STB, they were definitely food for thought. I had looked at both the Samsung D8000 & D7000 (which appeared to have only cosmetic differences) but even with RicherSounds special offer prices, it was still above budget.
    Anyhow bought the Sony HX82 and first impressions are good. was impressed also that when I plugged in my old Aerial which points at Wales (with Amp), I was able to get the freeview & FreeviewHD channels in addition to the Saorview ones. Although FreeviewHD is a bit iffy during the day. It will also pick up ~ 212 upc channels when connected to cable but won't render them saying they are scrambled - pity upc can't leave their basic offering channels unscrambled...
    Only downside is that the TV doesn't come with any 3d glasses and they cost around €90 each in the shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 colmkc

I've bought the sony tv and must say I'm very impressed.
    I bought it for the recent US Masters and PC World had an offer
    buy one pair of glasses and get the second pair free cost €71.99
    for two pairs of glasses.
    I havn't checked out saorview yet but seriously good picture.
    HMV have about 20 3D blu ray titles to choose from and when played on the TV is wicked!
    All the stocks are nearly sold out so I would move fast as my neighbour bought the TV when he saw mine, he told about the limited stocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

STB wrote: »
    ..Samsung (Samsung UE46D8000) also have a combined 3d, Freesat and Saorview approved TV, which has had fantastic reviews (5 ot of 5 at techradar) but but but.... is €1500.
    Fantastic TVs but but but not perfect.

Dont know if it has been fixed in newer versions yet but seems to be no way to use Freesat and Saorview without switching source, rendering it pretty lame for this purpose.:(

• Advertisement
Advertisement