Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Newspaper do you read?

• 29-03-2012 8:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭

Was just wondering what national papers ye get if any?

what paper do you read? 337 votes

Evening Echo
    0% 0 votes
    Evening Herald
    1% 6 votes
    Irish Daily Mail
    3% 11 votes
    Irish Daily Mirror
    1% 4 votes
    Irish Daily Star
    2% 9 votes
    Irish Examiner
    3% 13 votes
    Irish Independent
    5% 18 votes
    The Irish Sun
    10% 34 votes
    The Irish Times
    2% 9 votes
    Irish Mail on Sunday
    13% 45 votes
    Irish People
    0% 3 votes
    Sunday Independent
    0% 3 votes
    Sunday World
    5% 20 votes
    The Irish Sunday Mirror
    2% 10 votes
    The Sunday Business Post
    1% 5 votes
    An Phoblacht
    3% 12 votes
    Irish Farmers' Journal
    2% 7 votes
    The Irish Catholic
    3% 11 votes
    Get my news online
    1% 5 votes
    never get the paper
    18% 61 votes
    foreign tabloid
    5% 17 votes
    foreign broadsheet
    1% 4 votes
    irish daily atari jaguar
    8% 30 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I get my news from After Hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

I don't read the news, I make it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Irish-Times Weekend Edition

Local Weeklys

Sligo Champion
    Donegal News or Donegal Democrat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Cork Examiner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Pretty much none since getting a smart phone a few years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭SteppingStone

None. There depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Two free local papers, the indo and times on the internet for free, BBC for free to get a good international perspective, thinking of adding Al-Jaz to that list, and a few quality blogs/forums like the Irish economy one. Just run the lot of them straight into my email inbox and polish them off with my morning coffee, its great.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭joshrogan

Guardian/observer as well as the weekend Irish times/indo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,887 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I know it's very fashionable to hate the Indo amongst certain folk, but I got it on Saturday. The magazine had some great stuff, particularly a story about the Kerry babies. Amazing story revisited. I miss the Tribune for that sort of stuff. Scanail on RTE is brilliant for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭HOS 1997

Irish Times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

NZ Herald

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭benway

Mung bean eating, sandal wearing, bearded Guardianista right here.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Tesco Massacre

The Irish Sun, of course.

Nudity, celebrities doing stuff (Kim Kardashian walking! On the street!), stories about squirrels water skiing, celeb diet tips, horoscopes, soap opera gossip, sports.

You get it all in The Irish Sun.

Mistake on your Poll OP. The Mirror, The Mail, and The Sun are foriegn tabloids. Sticking irish in the title, or a picture of a z list irish celeb instead of an english z list celeb in the cover, does not make them any more irish.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Readinz fir gayz

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Indo usually, an Evening herald sometimes. For local news The Midland Tribune which is published once a week. Also reading The Sun's website is a guilty pleasure of mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Daily mail usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

The Irish Times. But it's the best of a bad, bad lot. The Examiner isn't too bad, but it's very Cork centric. And I'm from Cork!!!

But I much prefer the Guardian. Best paper going.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

buy? news?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

The Guardian and The Examiner online. Used to be fond of the Tribune before it went.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

irish-stew wrote: »
    Mistake on your Poll OP. The Mirror, The Mail, and The Sun are foriegn tabloids. Sticking irish in the title, or a picture of a z list irish celeb instead of an english z list celeb in the cover, does not make them any more irish.

;)
    Seems a bit generous to call them a newspaper too...

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

On the rare occasion I do buy an actual newspaper, it's The Guardian or Observer. Used to buy the Irish Times but it's gone to fuck in the last few years.

Normally get my news from their website.

Edit: No option for Guardian/Observer in the poll. Fail.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Where's the Metro?

Surely such a quality Newspaper is worth of a spot on your poll!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

I get my national news exclusively from the internet now. Keep up with things back home with the Ballymena Times online too.

Being at university in London there are I think 4 different free papers to pick up too. Student papers which generally tell you to weep for Palestinians and hate the rampant sexist overtones of every tv show on ITV don't catch my interest any more.

One thing that has struck me since being on this website is how much Irish people use the British media. I'm not just talking about the Irish versions of papers but the fact that many seem to use the Telegraph, Guardian and Mail extensively even though they don't have a specifically Irish angle at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Years since I've seen An Phoblacht, I didn't know it was still going

On Fridays evenings in our town you'd be in the pub and some old man with a heavy jacket and cap would come in and sell it.
    Bought it once, not a lot in it. There was a letter in it signed by P something, I forget the name

And that's it, haven't seen that paper since

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭Akarinn

Who needs a newspaper when you have Boards.ie???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭policarp

No mention of the regional papers ?

The Clare Champion. . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

An Phoblacht. Keep an eye on the latest going ons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

bwatson wrote: »
    One thing that has struck me since being on this website is how much Irish people use the British media. I'm not just talking about the Irish versions of papers but the fact that many seem to use the Telegraph, Guardian and Mail extensively even though they don't have a specifically Irish angle at all.
    Not sure why anyone'd read the Telegraph (business & politics, maybe?) or the Daily Mail (like feeling bad/hate life?), but the Guardian, the [British] Independent and Private Eye feature genuine journalism, where news is found rather than made, and it's not just tawdry pseudo-journalist opinion pieces that flip at the drop of a coin like we have in Ireland's 'premium' papers.
    Despite getting flak for being the toilet-read of liberal middle-class hipsters, they're the only papers I've read that go for everyone's throat, no favouritism.
    It's a pity, but our journalism courses have either failed miserably, resulting in stylish twaddle-merchants without the balls to actually observe, never mind research, or they've done such a good job that all the great graduates left for pastures greener to be taken seriously, lest they have their names browned here, or have to compromise their standards/abilities.
    I'll gladly skim past the Neo-Hippy elements of Brit papers if it means I get to read articles that don't depend so heavily on smart-arsed colloquialisms-as-journalism. You know... With information.

TL;DR

Pyoor b hatin' Irish newspaprz lyk. Contint sux, bai.
    (Obviously a couple of exceptions to the rule)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

bwatson wrote: »
    I get my national news exclusively from the internet now. Keep up with things back home with the Ballymena Times online too.

Being at university in London there are I think 4 different free papers to pick up too. Student papers which generally tell you to weep for Palestinians and hate the rampant sexist overtones of every tv show on ITV don't catch my interest any more.

That's a bit like wondering why a Ballymena man and a student in London reads and posts on Boards.ie!

Telegraph has a decent soccer section, wouldn't buy it because it is so obviously Euroskeptic, the Mail actually has a fair bit of Irish content, Irish news, GAA, TV etc. and the Guardian is well, the Guardian, a respected paper of international renown. I like the English Independent myself.

The Irish Times, the Indo for GAA coverage and miss the Tribune, it went downhill before it closed but that is a general trend.

Don't buy local papers, just read the free one.

Buy the Phoenix the odd time.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

The Irish Catholic

NEVER :D

But is it still in publication? My neighbour used to give us her copy every week, right up until she died in 1994. My Dad reckoned it was great for lighting the fire!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

I buy the guardian 6 days a week since I was 18-it was only 10p in college and they got me hooked like liberal crack dealers. I usually end up buying a Sunday rag like the World or Indo when I'm in the newsagents pissed on a Saturday night and they have the early editions in so I have something to read while I'm eating my taco fries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Cork Examiner
    No longer exists!
    The Irish Examiner however does exist.:D

I know, I'm a pedantic git...:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

The Times (England)
    Irish Times

(Magazines: Time, Newsweek, Monocle)

...To name a few quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Alive! I get all my news and commentary there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Irish Time online

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

The Sunday Times
    A wide variety of articles and some of my favourite writers (AA Gill, Bryan Appleyard, Andrew Sullivan, Paul Anthony McDermott, Jeremy Clarkson)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

None. Why would I want to read a newspaper that only tells me about stuff that happened yesterday?

I use an Android phone app which displays news stories based on custom search words/terms & news stories for various categories that interest me. Instant news that is of interest to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

The Guardian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

I buy the Sunday times and during the week I get my news from the internet and go ould RTE.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Where is the option for the Metro / free papers ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Formation

Do ye buy newspapers much these days or use the websites to get your news?

If you do buy a paper which one would you buy the most?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,663 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I love Newspapers! I have great difficullty passing one without having a quick browse.

Used to buy one every day now restrict myself to a Sunday and if I'm lucky a Saturday as well. Sunday Times and Independent respectively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

Formation wrote: »

If you do buy a paper which one would you buy the most?

Toilet paper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

The Sunday Times when i'm having one of those lazy weekends.

Apart from that I get most of my news from sources on twitter and google +. I'd still buy magazines though, I find that with working from morning to evening by the time i'd get a paper to read it would all be old news in this day and age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭toexpress

Indo on a Saturday that's it

Irish Times Weekend Edition

Donegal News or Donegal Democrat (weekly)

Everything else I get online, usally bbc.co.uk and thisislondon.com (london evening stanard)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Internet all the way...

Just never buy papers anymore!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Mostly I get the news from the Internet, Sometimes I might buy a paper,Irish times. but then again depends what is going on,Do I want scandel and gossip or news :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Poll

This was done a few years back.

Irish Times on Saturday or of there is an interesting topic during week (Hard copy)
    Herald or Indo if something interesting pops up. (Hard Copy and on line)

Daily Fail on line only. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement