Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Start list for the Euros (weightlifting)

• 29-03-2012 8:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭

Behold etc. Some very big names on the sheet
    Steiner, Mutlu (!), Dolega, Bedzhanyan, Albegov, Chigishev, Scerbatihs

Also Julia <3 and Lidia make an appearance as well as Tatiana Kasharina, which is strange. She cust be trying to get some silverware before getting crushed by Lulu in London!.

Healy, D'Arcy, "Byrd", Small, Stewart will be representing our nation of bronzed gods!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

Pfft, everyone knows the big competition is this weekend.

Seriously though Mutlu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

Ed, you forgot Conroy!

Edit just saw mutlu on the list; err wtf!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

Damnit. I thought I mentioned Conroy! Eating from what, 77kg to 105+?

Yeah, putting everyone else to shame with his eating abilities

Just noticed the Bulgarians are back for this. Can they qualify a lifter for London? Presume so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Frogdog

Mutlu??? He's nearly as old as that Healy fella!

Is the great white hope, your man Egan or Deegan or whatever his name is - is he lifting?

Frogdog wrote: »
    Mutlu??? He's nearly as old as that Healy fella!

Is the great white hope, your man Egan or Deegan or whatever his name is - is he lifting?

Nah, he wanted the fight to be over first place and not second so he pulled out.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 CathalByrd

It would be great if Mutlu staged a comeback... However we will not know for sure until after the 'technical meeting' which I think is on Sunday. There are a few nations with 3 athletes entered per weight category (Turkey being one of them with Mutlu being one of 3 56kg Turks...) but a nation can only field 2 athletes per weight category so this entry list will change quite a bit on Sunday. A maximum of 8 men are allowed per male team & 6 per female team so again with a few nations listing more than these amounts some of the lifters on that list will have to be cut. I'd imagine a lot of the stronger nations enter more lifters than allowed simply to keep their options open right up until the 'technical meeting' in order to give as many lifters as possible a chance of making the final squad.
    Just noticed the Bulgarians are back for this. Can they qualify a lifter for London?

Yes Bulgaria are back after quite a long doping ban. They have had all sorts of issues within their federation, with a lot of their coaches & athletes moving elsewhere, Azerbaijan being the main nation to have adopted them... But yes, I'm pretty sure that they are eligible to qualify for London.

'Team Ireland' is as above... Neil Dougan qualified but has an injury, so James Small has come in to replace him. James has international experience from the European Youth Championships a couple of years ago, but this will be his first senior international outing. James is one for the future for sure so hopefully Turkey will spur him on even more to keep training hard and pushing the boundaries!

Clarence Kennedy also qualified, but decided against going. I cannot speak on his behalf as to why... Mike Conroy has come in at 105kg+ as his replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭roro1neil0

good luck lads put them under pressure.

olé olé olé

sounds like clarence is the stephen ireland of the irish set up

Final entries & schedule here: http://www.antalya2012ewc.com/antalya2012_final_entries.pdf

No Mutlu or Chigishev unfortunately... Pretty much all of the big names are out bar one or two as the bigger nations have already qualified full teams for London so lots of 'B-Teams' are taking the stage for this one... This is quite normal with the better nations & athletes so close to an Olympics as they don't want the stress of making weight, or the possibility of being drug-tested ('taboo' I know, but it's a reality & a major issue in the sport of weightlifting, as well as lots of other sports of course...) & would rather stay in their training camp & out of the lime-light.

Great Britain's Zoe Smith has made the televised A-Group which is great news both for her & Team GB ahead of the London Games...

• Advertisement

Live results of each session here: http://www.iwf.net/scoreboard/scoreboard3.php

Here is Team Ireland's schedule, all times are Irish time (The times as per schedule above are local time, 2 hours ahead of Ireland).

Wednesday 12.30pm: 69kg 'B' Group: Wayne Healy
    Thursday 08.30am: 77kg 'C' Group: James Small & Peter Stewart
    Friday 07.15am: 94kg 'C' Group: Kevin D'Arcy
    Friday 12pm: 85kg 'B' Group: Cathal Byrd
    Sunday 07.30am: 105kg+ 'B' Group: Mike Conroy

Also Eurosport will be showing all of the 'A' Groups all this week. 48kg Women were on earlier, 56kg Men start at 6pm this evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

good luck byrd...remember keep the twitter feed rolling...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭token

If anybody comes across streaming links throw them up.

token wrote: »
    If anybody comes across streaming links throw them up.

Eh please dont...thanks to Sean Sherlock we cant anymore...

If ye do ill have to ban ye....and i like most of ye...some of ye are awful though.

Good thing pendlayforum resides outside sean sherlocks reach

Molly wrote: »
    Good thing pendlayforum resides outside sean sherlocks reach

i..er....um.....cough:p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Some serious lifting on Eurosport right now.

I dont see Wayne on the board http://www.iwf.net/scoreboard/scoreboard3.php

Anyone know what's up there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭token

From L

CathalByrd ‏ @Byrdie85kg
    Bad start in Antalya with Wayne Healy unable to travel due to illness... Very unfortunate for 'Team Ireland' & of course gutting for Wayne!

Balls

• Advertisement

Molly wrote: »
    Balls

is the correct answer :(

Sucks about Wayne, his training seemed to be going very well too.

These women lifters are embarrassingly strong. Zoe Smith lifting well atm. If I can't lift more than the 48kg winner in at least one lift at seniors then I may give up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭Paudee

Euros was on in the gym today, rapiest training session ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Thud

from Cathal's twitter on the two Irish lads lifting this morning:

http://twitter.com/#!/Byrdie85kg

Fantastic senior debut from James Small, 96/125, 125kg especially impressive! Pete 116/138, lower back issue troubled him in Clean & Jerk...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

That's great work from James, absolutely delighted for him.

do you still lift competitively g'em?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

No, I 'retired' last year and took quite a break, I've been doing spots of coaching here and there but I'm mostly finished my Tutor Course so I'll be doing some Level 1's soon and *fingers crossed* I'll be coaching a new University Club soon. I'm getting under the bar properly for the first time in ... a few :o months this evening :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Yikes, good luck getting back to it. I don't envy the pain you're probably looking at tomorrow!

g'em wrote: »
    No, I 'retired' last year and took quite a break, I've been doing spots of coaching here and there but I'm mostly finished my Tutor Course so I'll be doing some Level 1's soon and *fingers crossed* I'll be coaching a new University Club soon. I'm getting under the bar properly for the first time in ... a few :o months this evening :)

well that's great good luck with that.

i was lifting in the gym today while anna everi was on tv and i was inspired to lift more.

• Advertisement

Kevin snatched 133, with two misses at 138 and 140. C&J 162 and 167, missed 167 the first time

Advertisement