Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

konjac Noodles

• 29-03-2012 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

I saw Nigella Lawson claims to have lost loads of weight using these anyone see them in Dublin??

Recepie ideas??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

I lost weight by only eating them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

kathy2 wrote: »
    I saw Nigella Lawson claims to have lost loads of weight using these anyone see them in Dublin??

Recepie ideas??
    I buy these when on a low carb or cut phase. I'll prob have them tonight :D
    Look for konjag, shiratake, miracle noodles or similar. They are a bit like fresh noodles, the pack will be filled with water.

They have almost zero calories. So by replacing normal noodles/pasta with them you can save maybe 200-300.

As for recipes. There's none specifically for these. They are simply plain tasteless noodles. Just use them instead of noodles, pasta, rice etc in those type of dishes. Curry, sweet and sour, stirfry etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Are these freely availible in supermarkets?
    Have never heard of these and would be interested in getting them to rid myself of the last 1/2 stone i want to shift!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

I would think that the oriental emporium in Rathmines may have them. I will take a look over the weekend as I am intersted in these noodles too and post if they have them.

Was wondering if there was a similar rice equivelent??

frAg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

I got them a few years back from Asian supermarket on Drury st in Dublin City centre. Purchased 5 packs and threw away four, it was the most unpleasant food I ever tested in my life lol, never again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

kathy2 wrote: »

Recepie ideas??

I wouldn't rule out the dark arts of the plastic surgeon too.

Jarren wrote: »
    I got them a few years back from Asian supermarket on Drury st in Dublin City centre. Purchased 5 packs and threw away four, it was the most unpleasant food I ever tested in my life lol, never again.
    ???
    There's no taste off them. You cook them in what ever sauce you are having and then they soak up that flavour.

Did you rinse them first?

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭d15ude

Mellor wrote: »
    ...I buy these ...

the question is WHERE?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

amazon have them
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Miracle-Noodle-Shirataki-Angel-Pasta/dp/B0055CRH1S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333118416&sr=8-1

£15.50 for 6x150g packs, not sure if thats a good price and I have never eaten them. With amazon you get free delivery if over £25 and you can buy something from else on amazon, e.g. a dvd to get the price above £25.

also
    http://miraclenoodle.ie/store-locations.html
    Eurasian Foods
    No.3 Market Street
    Galway
    Tel: 091895624

Master Nutrition
    175 Phibsboro
    Dublin 7
    Tel: 018309140

Living Green
    Ballinclea
    Donard, Co Wicklow
    info@livinggreen.ie
    Tel: (+353) 045 404683

noodles can pack a huge amount of calories usually. Some single packs of normal supernoodles are over 600kcal.

???
    There's no taste off them. You cook them in what ever sauce you are having and then they soak up that flavour.

Did you rinse them first?
    I rinsed and cooked them ,tasted and decided that it just wasn't my cup of tea so it ended in the bin:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

What are these made of?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Fitseeker

frag420 wrote: »
    I would think that the oriental emporium in Rathmines may have them. I will take a look over the weekend as I am intersted in these noodles too and post if they have them.

Was wondering if there was a similar rice equivelent??

frAg

You can get these in the the shop mentioned, few doors up from tramco brewery, they're on a shelf inside just in front of the desk where you pay. $1.60 per bag, 200g drained shirataki noodles.

d15ude wrote: »
    ...I buy these ...

the question is WHERE?
    Any supermarket really. I live in Sydney so the exact location isn't much use to posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭kathy2

Boards rocks❤
    Got them in Chinese emporium at that price cooking them now!! Will report recipie ideas welcome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

hurry, im famished!!

My must have used some flavor go on tell us more

Hey they were lovely just dry fry and add some soya sauce.

I also put them in porrige my flatmates go wild saying it looks gross but no worse than ordinary porrige I cut them up and pop them in with a few rasins lovely.

I have source a good whole sale supply if any one wants some

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 76 ✭✭Burnbaby76

I'm looking to get my hands on these bad boys myself... on a 0 carb diet - and these sound like total music to my ears!

Went into asian market on drury st... no joy - zero in stock...

Any ideas where I could get my hands on some?

Cheers,

B,

I have some for sale not worth importing small quantities so its not for profit just coz I use a pack a day myself they are the business never hungry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 itsadammatt

check groupon at the moment - search for noodles and they come up (it won't let me post a link here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭bladespin

check groupon at the moment - search for noodles and they come up (it won't let me post a link here

Konjac

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭greensheep777

I'm sure anyone interested in them has found a source for them in the 4 years since this thread was last replied to.

I'm sure anyone interested in them has found a source for them in the 4 years since this thread was last replied to.

New users looking for info everyday, an update is often appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

Hiro by Roisin do them available in most Supervalues.
    pretty damn tasty too..

http://www.hirobyroisin.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tringle

Ive juts gone to supervalu online and cant find them. I might give my nearest supervalu a call to see if they have them....its 25k away.

Holland and Barrett seem t have some too...and much closer to me

Ive just bought some from Groupan, worked out at €1.50 a pack. Holland and Barrett have them on special now, €3.49 each but buy one get one free...so almost the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

tringle wrote: »
    Ive just bought some from Groupan, worked out at €1.50 a pack. Holland and Barrett have them on special now, €3.49 each but buy one get one free...so almost the same.

they are different brands, but regardless of which is nicer the H&B are 200g packs, while groupon were 385g.

I bulk out food with chopped cabbage. People also make "cauliflower rice".

• Advertisement

Look what just arrived and on a LC day too!!!!33203642090_d5f827bdf6_b_d.jpg

rubadub wrote: »
    they are different brands, but regardless of which is nicer the H&B are 200g packs, while groupon were 385g.

I bulk out food with chopped cabbage. People also make "cauliflower rice".

Must be different ones I ordered from Groupon cos it says 200g drained weight.

Bladespin yours seem to be "Better Than", mine seem to be "Slim Easy". Can you let us know what size they are and how they taste, many thanks.

tringle wrote: »
    Bladespin yours seem to be "Better Than", mine seem to be "Slim Easy". Can you let us know what size they are and how they taste, many thanks.

Not sure the diff tbh, but mine were in 300g (when drained) bags, it says one bag serves 2-3 and I can vouch for that, as yesterday was a low carb day I felt quite hungry so went mad and boiled up a full bag of noodles, 33cals - nuts!!!
    I felt quite full for a good while after that lol.

They had hint of a fish smell as they cooked but not very noticeable.

They tasted quite bland, just like plain noodles really, I think I'll boil in a stock or add some curry powder next time.

Big thumbs up from me and big thanks to the lads on thread.

As advised in the thread I washed them prior to cooking - do not take a sniff from the freshly opened bag! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

bladespin wrote: »
    Not sure the diff tbh, but mine were in 300g (when drained) bags, it says one bag serves 2-3 and I can vouch for that, as yesterday was a low carb day I felt quite hungry so went mad and boiled up a full bag of noodles, 33cals - nuts!!!
    I felt quite full for a good while after that lol.

They had hint of a fish smell as they cooked but not very noticeable.

They tasted quite bland, just like plain noodles really, I think I'll boil in a stock or add some curry powder next time.

Big thumbs up from me and big thanks to the lads on thread.

As advised in the thread I washed them prior to cooking - do not take a sniff from the freshly opened bag! :eek:

So they are made of veg but have a noodle texture?
    I need a noodle/pasta/rice substitute, that sounds good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Have people stopped losing their sh*t over spiralisers and how they abracadabra'd veg into spaghetti yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

Have people stopped losing their sh*t over spiralisers and how they abracadabra'd veg into spaghetti yet?
    NOPE! I STILL LOVE THEM AND FOREVER WILL!

cactusgal wrote: »
    So they are made of veg but have a noodle texture?
    I need a noodle/pasta/rice substitute, that sounds good!

They are mad from flour made from the roots of the Konjac plant and yes, an excellent sub.

Im having egg fried rice right noe for breakfast, an alternative to scrambled egg on toast. It tastes fine, just like rice noodles.

I had stir fry noodles for dinner. A pack of LIDL fresh stir fry veg, a pack of noodles, a chicken breast and some soy sauce. Two of us got a very good dinner out of it.
    Yep, it does smell a bit in the pack but rinsed and heated it tastes just like rice noodles.
    Groupon order on way but I might pop in to H&B and see if they have some more.
    Stir fry with chicken or tofu seems good for the noodles, or a noodle soup. And I have some quorn to make chilli or bolognese for the pasta and rice.

I wonder can you get konjac flour, it would be nice to have a bread substitute

Mine just arrived yesterday, I ordered a 12 pack with 4 noodles, 4 pasta and 4 rice. But they called to say they had run out of noodles so I got 8 rice.

Holland and Barrett still have a BOGOF on them and will until next Tuesday

• Advertisement
Advertisement