Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mechanical keyboards.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

yes, they're bloody awesome

so loud and clicky, feel great to type on

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭heid

Theres one an amazon for 35 pound get that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

heid wrote: »
    Theres one an amazon for 35 pound get that.

Can you link it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

That looks revolting. Try the Noppoo Choc Pro on eBay.

Also the geekhack.org wiki.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭heid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Not all mechanical keyboards are loud. It depends on what switches you get. If you go with MX Blues or something, they'll be loud. Reds, browns, and blacks aren't. If you want a really nice one...

Clickie

After four years, my G11 is getting pretty grimy, so I might have to upgrade to something like this. It's just a real pity there isn't a Brown version. My only real other option is a Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth, but then I loose build quality, (proper) media keys...

Browns are pretty loud.

Have you used / got one? I don't know anyone with one, so I've never been able to try the switches. I've only ever used blues and blacks. I liked the blues a lot more to type on than the blacks, but I'm not quite sure if I could ever stand the noise.

I had a brown and have a red Choc Mini.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

I have the Q-pad in Blue and I love it, it is pricey but I love it.

It has mic and headphone ports with 2 USBs.

The browns are noisy but you dont notice them when playing, the leds are lovely and are easily dimmed or brightened. The layout of the MK80 is perfect for me

It took me 3 months to pick a keyboard (and I was looking for the green over the blue but the blue is nice and clear). Got mine from scan.

Would highly recommend

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 harrywilsoken

This is really cool features. This will be more helpful for the user who use office documents mostly for their works.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Joseph

Mechanical keyboards are absolutely brilliant, have had the blackwidow ultimate for the past 8 or so months and I wouldn't go back now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

I have two mechanical keyboards, a Filco Majestouch with MX Browns and a Cherry MX Black.

I intended to use the expensive filco at home, but the Browns just don't feel right for FPS games. I use this in work now.

The MX Black which I got for about 30 quid is awesome for games, and OK for typing. I use this at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,757 ✭✭✭✭Encrypted Pigeon

Have a das ultimate, absolutely beautiful click off it and great to type on, but sometimes can be a pain not having the labels on it, specially when using any program that is shortcut key intensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

If I was looking for a keyboard with a good balance between typing and gaming what would you recommend?

That K90 looks impressive (but so does the cost!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

Steelseries 6Gv2

Highly recommended.

The 6Gv2 uses MX Blacks. They're not really great for typing.

You'd want something like browns for typing and gaming. They're light, but they give tactile feedback too. Maybe have a look at the Blackwidow Stealth.

Serephucus wrote: »
    The 6Gv2 uses MX Blacks. They're not really great for typing.

You'd want something like browns for typing and gaming. They're light, but they give tactile feedback too. Maybe have a look at the Blackwidow Stealth.

Not a clue what you are on about in relation to the colours (that can be something to google on the train home this evening). Would some place like PC World have a selection of these main brands in stock? Nice to get a feel for them first.

Sorry, it's the the type of switches that are used in the keys. They're classified by different colours.

Blacks are linear (no tactile feedback) so they're great for gaming, but not really any good for typing. Browns have tactile feedback, but not the loud clicky noise you get with blues. This guide goes through the most common switch types, as well as other things.

I haven't found anywhere that stocks mechanical keyboards, which is the main reason I'm finding it hard to pick one.

Sorry, it's the the type of switches that are used in the keys. They're classified by different colours.

Blacks are linear (no tactile feedback) so they're great for gaming, but not really any good for typing. Browns have tactile feedback, but not the loud clicky noise you get with blues. This guide goes through the most common switch types, as well as other things.

I haven't found anywhere that stocks mechanical keyboards, which is the main reason I'm finding it hard to pick one.

who needs google when you have Serephucus :D.

Have some light reading for the train now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Meh to that, I'm typing on blacks right now and they work fine once you get used to the high actuation force. :P

Though, admittedly I'm tempted by the idea of getting a brown switch keyboard.

Advertisement