Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

history or dcg ??? and subject outside school

• 29-03-2012 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

hi im doing ty next year . I am probley going to do either history or dcg. I am definitely doing french, biology and chemistry so i need a forth subject. I love both subjects, but the history teacher in our school is terrible. Just also will this mean i will have to put in more work ? I was wondering if anyone that has done history or doing it what would it be like to do it outside school ? Also is there any subject that WITH WORK over 3 years (TY) would be able for a high mark ? thanks :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

paddzdaman wrote: »
    hi im doing ty next year . I am probley going to do either history or dcg. I am definitely doing french, biology and chemistry so i need a forth subject. I love both subjects, but the history teacher in our school is terrible. Just also will this mean i will have to put in more work ? I was wondering if anyone that has done history or doing it what would it be like to do it outside school ? Also is there any subject that WITH WORK over 3 years (TY) would be able for a high mark ? thanks :D

If you did honors tech graphics DCG is very easy, there are only 10 different areas that can come up.

The project rewards effort and not ability so with work near full marks are achieveable.

The exam is structured with 4 short questions for anywhere on the course, you do three. Then 3 long questions from anywhere on the course you do 2. Then 5 questions that you know what the questions are and you do 2. Its all choice and nearly full marks is easy enough here too once you get some decent study in.

DCG is purely graded on the work you put in, there are 5 core areas on the sylabus (section one and two) and (five optional areas, you must study two) and that's it. You will be graded on the examiners opnion of the presentation of your work so the last 5% is always hard to get as they will pick you up on something, but with work an A1 is easy enough. It has to be the easyst subject I am doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

DCG can be an enjoyable subject and the coursework is not difficult if you put the time into learning Solidworks. I don't know what the story is with doing it outside of school though as people in school normally have to do the project in school hours. You might want to email someone in the SEC about that perhaps to see what the case is with you. I'd recommend it though, even without a background of Technical Graphics, the course is a lot more basic than it used to be and it's not difficult to achieve a good grade.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Both DCG and History have coursework components, so you'd need specific teachers to sign off that your project is your own work. However I'd imagine that that would be much more difficult with DCG because all of your work is meant to be completed on the same school computer (as far as I'm aware). Make sure to get all of these details sorted before you choose to do either outside school.

dambarude wrote: »
    Both DCG and History have coursework components, so you'd need specific teachers to sign off that your project is your own work. However I'd imagine that that would be much more difficult with DCG because all of your work is meant to be completed on the same school computer (as far as I'm aware). Make sure to get all of these details sorted before you choose to do either outside school.

The DCG project doesn't have to be the same computer, just has to be done in school under supervision of the teacher.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

GarIT wrote: »
    The DCG project doesn't have to be the same computer, just has to be done in school under supervision of the teacher.

Thanks for the clarification - but wouldn't that necessarily mean that in theory at least they could investigate your files to see if they were created and worked on on certain computers, at specific times? The whole thing just seems a bit hazy when you start talking about doing the work outside school. More hazy than history would be at any rate.

• Advertisement

dambarude wrote: »
    Thanks for the clarification - but wouldn't that necessarily mean that in theory at least they could investigate your files to see if they were created and worked on on certain computers, at specific times? The whole thing just seems a bit hazy when you start talking about doing the work outside school. More hazy than history would be at any rate.

Yes, they do check what computers that you project is worked on. As far as I know they check about 2 or 3 students depending on class size per school to save time. They then investigate more if needed. The rules basically say that you are not allowed to work on your project at all if the teacher is not present. You'r teacher has to sign a document stating that they were present for all the times that the project was being worked on.

I think the OP was considering doing DCG in school and history was the option outside.

Advertisement