Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The New Multicultural Ireland - The Benefits?

• 29-03-2012 9:59pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭

Speaking as a middle aged unemployed Irish male - I am sick of listening to all these do-gooders talking about all the new communities and cultures that have established themselves in Ireland over the past 10 years. What's in it for me? How do I benefit from the New Multicultural Ireland? I would love if someone could tell me! Discuss!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Hot Polish girls, with pert breasts in the Irish sunshine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

asian girls
    asian girls everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

asian girls
    asian girls everywhere
    This, yes, and /thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

i don't blame you,I'd imagine you'd get the runt of the litter in clare to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Clareboy wrote: »
    Speaking as a middle aged unemployed Irish male - I am sick of listening to all these do-gooders talking about all the new communities and cultures that have established themselves in Ireland over the past 10 years. What's in it for me? How do I benefit from the New Multicultural Ireland? I would love if someone could tell me! Discuss!

Their tax money is paying for your dole, innit?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

Decent food instead of over cooked bacon and cabbage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Diversity is good, even more so when investing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

summerskin wrote: »
    Decent food instead of over cooked bacon and cabbage.

And massages with "happy endings"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Clareboy

Their tax money is paying for your dole, innit?

So you are saying " let the Irish emigrate or stay on the economic scrap heap" while the jobs go to the foreigners. Irish jobs for Irish workers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

A new variation on the 'I'm not racist, but...' theme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Nothing is in it for you. Absolutely nothing. And it's more that you deserve!

You're welcome!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

So you are saying " let the Irish emigrate or stay on the economic scrap heap" while the jobs go to the foreigners. Irish jobs for Irish workers!
    If the Irish workers are competent enough, they'll get the jobs. Tis' only fair like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

The Irish emigrate because they won't do the jobs the immigrants are willing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Have you spoken to any people who aren't of Irish descent for a few generations?

You're not going to feel any benefit if you sit at home not interacting with other people of different cultures.

What benefit do you want? What should be in it for you?

For me, the most obvious benefit is the greater number of perspectives and general variety of people.

St.Spodo wrote: »
    The Irish emigrate because they won't do the jobs the immigrants are willing to do.

Could you please explain to me how we kept the country going before all the immigrants started arriving in the late 90s? How did we ever keep the wheels of industry and commerce moving for all those years? You tell me!

Could you please explain to me how we kept the country going before all the immigrants started arriving in the late 90s? How did we ever keep the wheels of industry and commerce moving for all those years? You tell me!

Things were on a much smaller scale then and didn't require such a large workforce, I'd imagine.

Also, the onset of the Celtic Tiger meant that lots of Irish people saw themselves as too good for low-level jobs they would've done previously.

Have you spoken to any people who aren't of Irish descent for a few generations?

You're not going to feel any benefit if you sit at home not interacting with other people of different cultures.

What benefit do you want? What should be in it for you?

For me, the most obvious benefit is the greater number of perspectives and general variety of people.

A general variety of people and interacting with different cultures! That will pay the bills all right and keep the wolf from the door!

A general variety of people and interacting with different cultures! That will pay the bills all right and keep the wolf from the door!

Why the hell should they pay your bills!?

Though as someone already pointed out, the ones who work are contributing to your social welfare payments, so they kind of are paying them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

The new Irish citizens aren't here to put bread on your table. I don't know who told you otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

St.Spodo wrote: »

There's plenty of welfare tourists and fraudulent asylum seekers milking the system for all it's worth, without ever contributing a cent.

Not including all the media censored violence and crime the illegals cause because they're effectively anonymous/unknown in the Irish system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Half black, half white girls are the hottest

Why the hell should they pay your bills!?

Though as someone already pointed out, the ones who work are contributing to your social welfare payments, so they kind of are paying them!

I would much prefer to have a job and pay my own bills with my own money!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

A wide variety of brazzers according to the Paul Connolly investigation

I would much prefer to have a job and pay my own bills with my own money!

Well hopefully you'll be able to find a job and do that. But I don't see what your thread title and your unemployment have to do with each other.

People who come here to work pay taxes and contribute to the economy.

Stories of people getting off the plane and getting free money aren't true as that can't happen.

I think you're angry about your situation and looking to vent, and immigrants, and people whose parents/grandparents were immigrants make easy targets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Get a job OP!

No wait...

They're taking all our jobs OP, you're right to be angry!

No wait...

Ah I'm all out... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

There's plenty of welfare tourists and fraudulent asylum seekers milking the system for all it's worth, without ever contributing a cent.

Not including all the media censored violence and crime the illegals cause because they're effectively anonymous/unknown in the Irish system.

There's plenty of Irish people doing it too. Their nationality doesn't make a difference to the fact they're both a group of scumbags. I've always found it hilarious how some Irish can put themselves on a high horse and complain about immigrants, we're a country known for little more than drink, emigration and the colour green.

OP no offense but cut the excuses, if you were as competent as the immigrant "occupying Irish jobs" you'd have gotten the job. Simple.

OP, we might get a better discussion going if you tell us what kind of benefits you'd like to see from a multicultural society, and whether you think we're seeing those benefits or not in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭some random drunk

True, true. But don't forget half asian, half white or the rarer half black, half asian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

one of those threads again?

• Advertisement

Well hopefully you'll be able to find a job and do that. But I don't see what your thread title and your unemployment have to do with each other.

People who come here to work pay taxes and contribute to the economy.

Stories of people getting off the plane and getting free money aren't true as that can't happen.

I think you're angry about your situation and looking to vent, and immigrants, and people whose parents/grandparents were immigrants make easy targets.

A middle aged unemployed Irish male has the proverbial ' snowballs chance in hell ' of finding employment in the New Multicultural Ireland and that's reality!

A middle aged unemployed Irish male has the proverbial ' snowballs chance in hell ' of finding employment in the New Multicultural Ireland and that's reality!

Why? How would you change things?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

There's plenty of welfare tourists and fraudulent asylum seekers milking the system for all it's worth, without ever contributing a cent..

And you haven't reported these ones you know of because.....?

....it's a conspiracy, is it?

Let's reverse it - What harm does it do you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Tym

If you want me to be honest every single foreighneer I've ever worked with has been more pleasent and harder working than, including myself, the Irish workers.

And I wouldn't believe all the stories you hear about Asylum Seekers and so on so forth. The amount of Irish people I see looking miserable in fast food places now is ridiculous. Does anybody remmember the snobiness towards McDonalds before the recession? Ara sure Mcdonalds will hire ya.But at the end of the day any job, as long as your treated properly, is something to be proud of, whatever your nationaility.

Let's be honest, they had nothing to do with our current economic recession.

Also, I have a younger sister, and it is truthfully awesome when I saw kids her age interacting with other kids of a foreighn descent. Mulitulturalism enriches our lives, adds variety and different points of view, and it furthers our ties to other cultures.

I say let anybody in, of course after passing checks on their history etc, and let them join our society, or rather than assimiliation, let them add difference to our society.

Imperialism and coloniasm destroys cultures, not multicultarism. Multicultarism only highlights the good, and bad, of all societies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 130 ✭✭iliketeaandcake

What's in it for me? How do I benefit from the New Multicultural Ireland? I would love if someone could tell me! Discuss!

One good thing is the broadened gene pool.

Might not benefit you at this stage now you're middle-aged, but at least your descendants have the option of not marrying their cousins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,661 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

No, half Chinese half Southern European.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Tym wrote: »
    If you want me to be honest every single foreighneer I've ever worked with has been more pleasent and harder working than, including myself, the Irish workers.
    One good thing is the broadened gene pool.
    Is there really any need for these sorts of comments?

Why? How would you change things?

No more work permits for non EU citizens

Cancel all existing non EU work permits

All non-nationals (except UK ) on welfare to be repatriated

In other words, protect our labour market and save on welfare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

Tym wrote: »

And I wouldn't believe all the stories you hear about Asylum Seekers and so on so forth. The amount of Irish people I see looking miserable in fast food places now is ridiculous. Does anybody remmember the snobiness towards McDonalds before the recession? Ara sure Mcdonalds will hire ya.But at the end of the day any job, as long as your treated properly, is something to be proud of, whatever your nationaility.

Let's be honest, they had nothing to do with our current economic recession.

Also, I have a younger sister, and it is truthfully awesome when I saw kids her age interacting with other kids of a foreighn descent. Mulitulturalism enriches our lives, adds variety and different points of view, and it furthers our ties to other cultures.

I say let anybody in, of course after passing checks on their history etc, and let them join our society, or rather than assimiliation, let them add difference to our society.

Imperialism and coloniasm destroys cultures, not multicultarism. Multicultarism only highlights the good, and bad, of all societies.

To be fair, that is true to an extent but it has gone too far in some places. In some urban areas in France, Britain, Belgium, Germany etc there are divides reminiscent of those seen in Northern Ireland throughout the latter half of the 20th century.

Multiculturalism as a policy is always doomed to failure. Multi suggests many, suggesting that the cultures present in a nation remain isolated from each other. Inevitably, this creates suspicion and contempt. What is needed is a policy to create a singular modern culture, drawing on the best parts of all those present in a nation.

Living in London I can see how badly this is needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,661 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

You do know how EU law works, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭howsyourtusk

Or we could **** you out and save all the bitchin

bwatson wrote: »
    To be fair, that is true to an extent but it has gone too far in some places. In some urban areas in France, Britain, Belgium, Germany etc there are divides reminiscent of those seen in Northern Ireland throughout the latter half of the 20th century. .

France has never had a policy of multiculturalism. Germanys practice was somewhat two-faced, given its citizenship policy up to 2000.

For EU citizens to get welfare, they have to have accrued two years' worth of tax credits. They have to work for at least two years basically, so stories of people coming here to claim the dole are generally rubbish, unless there are lots of people willing to work for two years in order to claim the dole.
    Plus, they're legally entitled to move here, as we're entitled to move to other EU countries.

There are lots of restrictions on non-EU nationals, having to work and earn certain amounts. My friend's American wife had a visa and wanting to stay here, got a good job, but had to return home as she wasn't earning, if I recall, €30,000 a year.

The non-EU people who come here are generally skilled workers in areas where there's a lack of Irish workers.

And trust me, even the least racist Irish employer would probably still prefer to hire a skilled Irish worker over a skilled foreign worker.

Basically, stories of unskilled non-nationals coming here en masse are scaremongering, designed to get people angry and buying newspapers, but it's really not a big issue after all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 130 ✭✭iliketeaandcake

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Is there really any need for these sorts of comments?

He was asking what was in it for him and I gave him a fair answer. Ireland, as an island, has a very limited gene pool, like Iceland. It's good to mix it up a bit don't you think??!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭skinny90

Put all the cultures together we could create a half decent soccer team....

For EU citizens to get welfare, they have to have accrued two years' worth of tax credits. They have to work for at least two years basically, so stories of people coming here to claim the dole are generally rubbish, unless there are lots of people willing to work for two years in order to claim the dole.
    Plus, they're legally entitled to move here, as we're entitled to move to other EU countries.

There are lots of restrictions on non-EU nationals, having to work and earn certain amounts. My friend's American wife had a visa and wanting to stay here, got a good job, but had to return home as she wasn't earning, if I recall, €30,000 a year.

The non-EU people who come here are generally skilled workers in areas where there's a lack of Irish workers.

And trust me, even the least racist Irish employer would probably still prefer to hire a skilled Irish worker over a skilled foreign worker.

Basically, stories of unskilled non-nationals coming here en masse are scaremongering, designed to get people angry and buying newspapers, but it's really not a big issue after all.

Are you actually suggesting that there are not enough skilled workers to be had in all the 27 countries of the EU!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Everything in moderation

It can go too far, I don't want Athlone and Galway to end up looking like Blackburn and Bradford
    Ghettos and people feeling like strangers in their own cities and unsure what to do

Are you actually suggesting that there are not enough skilled workers to be had in all the 27 countries of the EU!

I can't speak for every country, but in Ireland, yes.

There are still shortages in the computing industry, healthcare and engineering for example.
    I'm sure people are coming from within the EU as well as outside to fill these jobs, and I'm sure the government and employers would prefer to hire the EU workers over the outsiders due to the lack of bureaucracy involved, but I guess they're not all flowing here from the EU. Maybe other European countries are lacking in these areas too.

But obviously employers would prefer to hire skilled Irish workers, but in such sectors there just aren't enough and they have to outsource. This has been going on for a long time by the way, it's not new.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

There are 544,357 non irish people in the country now according to the census. I'd be interested in knowing how many of them are unemployed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement