Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The New Multicultural Ireland - The Benefits?

15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

Sappa wrote: »
    Unfortunately this country has coward running the show and would rather discriminate against the entire population than bring in a law for non nationals.
    I had no problem paying the amount of money we did to get my wife here,in 6 mths she can apply for citizenship and I hope it goes smoothly,she is a qualified dental nurse and found it tough to get work her first year and was unable to get any assistance with courses or looked for them as my salary exceeded the limit,thankfully all is well now she found work in her profession.
    We do feel that it is odd though that we cannot travel together to Spain or Portugal without a headache amount of paperwork but a non national from the eu married to someone from outside the eu can just jump on a plane to Lisbon for a wknd away.
    I agree you have been unfairly labeled as a nutter and yes the system is flawed but we also need a bit of diversity,I must say though in nearly 5 yrs I have never experienced racism directly or my wife and it makes you wonder where all these stories come from,she has a group of maybe 30 non eu friends and o asked them before have they experienced racism,they have not,Ireland is not the bad in that regard thankfully.

Sorry can I ask what country you are from? The reason is because you stated that your wife is eligible to apply for Irish citizenship in six months time, so I assume you would have an Irish passport yourself. If that is the case- then you have every right to travel with your wife to all EU member countries (except the UK and if you decide to go there, this will be given to you free of charge in a few days upon confirmation of your marital status) with your wife without applying for a visa so your arguement about the amount of paperwork (as underlined above) to travel within Europe is unfounded- you could perharps familiarise yourself with the EU free movement legislation.

I will attach this website for your perusal:

http://europa.eu/legislation_summaries/justice_freedom_security/free_movement_of_persons_asylum_immigration/index_en.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

34 pages. Too long to read.

Simple question. Was there ever a debate on a "Multicultural Society"? Or was it foist upon us ? I was never even aware of it until I was told we now live in one.

Don't remember being told "okay guys, borders are open. let's see what happens. happy? "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

emo72 wrote: »

Simple question. Was there ever a debate on a "Multicultural Society"? Or was it foist upon us ? I was never even aware of it until I was told we now live in one.

Don't remember being told "okay guys, borders are open. let's see what happens. happy? "

Multiculturalism =/= immigration.

Two different beasties.

If you're referring to the large numbers from the EU accession states, there was some "debate", which meant bugger all as our Government had decided to let them have free movement to here, as did the Brits. Germany and a number of others put checks on them. As a result (and rather predictably) we received very large numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well it was hardly foisted upon you if you didn't even know it existed until you (didn't) read this thread. Or did I take you up wrong?

The borders were opened to EU citizens in 1973 but for most of the time few saw any compelling reason to come here to live of course. Multiculturalism is a philosophy rather than people moving here of course.

Nodin wrote: »

Two different beasties.

If you're referring to the large numbers from the EU accession states, there was some "debate", which meant bugger all as our Government had decided to let them have free movement to here, as did the Brits. Germany and a number of others put checks on them. As a result (and rather predictably) we received very large numbers.

good reply nodin. but every race from every part of the world can come to work here. how did that happen?

mike65 wrote: »
    Well it was hardly foisted upon you if you didn't even know it existed until you (didn't) read this thread. Or did I take you up wrong?

The borders were opened to EU citizens in 1973 but for most of the time few saw any compelling reason to come here to live of course. Multiculturalism is a philosophy rather than people moving here of course.

freedom of movement in Europe i was aware of. i voted for it. we could go where we wanted in Europe too. good idea that. i have seen parts of London where i have friends and they feel like outsiders in their own country. i feel sorry for them. they have to get out. they don't feel like they belong there. I'm concerned the same thing might happen here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Two different beasties.

Indeed, there seems to also have been a naive notion that all 15 then EU members would all adopt the same policy (as per the Dick Roche quotes earlier), a naivety that still lives on in EU matters.

What I don't think any politician (even in their wildest PR spin dreams) nor indeed any citizens envisaged was, technically full employment and a scarcity of labour in construction, catering and other areas.

Though catering was complaining of shortages in the late 90's.

So I'd say there wasn't that much political debate and immigration was foisted upon us in a way, same as there wasn't that much debate about a housing or credit bubble either.

We had booms in certain areas of the economy and those that had labour shortages, mostly construction, industry and catering needed more employment, not available in Ireland. Construction couldn't supply enough and industry and catering weren't well paid enough compared to other areas.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

good reply nodin. but every race from every part of the world can come to work here. how did that happen?

Well they can't. They need permits and the like. It was always the way of it, and as we became more prosperous more were needed and more arrived. We've had thousands of muslims here for decades, for instance, mostly because of the meat trade.

And of course theres asylum seekers, who we've been obligated to take in since we signed an article of the Geneva convention back in the 1950's.

K-9 wrote: »
    Indeed, there seems to also have been a naive notion that all 15 then EU members would all adopt the same policy (as per the Dick Roche quotes earlier), a naivety that still lives on in EU matters.

What I don't think any politician (even in their wildest PR spin dreams) nor indeed any citizens envisaged was, technically full employment and a scarcity of labour in construction, catering and other areas.

Though catering was complaining of shortages in the late 90's.

So I'd say there wasn't that much political debate and immigration was foisted upon us in a way, same as there wasn't that much debate about a housing or credit bubble either.

We had booms in certain areas of the economy and those that had labour shortages, mostly construction, industry and catering needed more employment, not available in Ireland. Construction couldn't supply enough and industry and catering weren't well paid enough compared to other areas.

Does "catering" include Hotels?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

KINGVictor wrote: »
    Unfortunately this country has coward running the show and would rather discriminate against the entire population than bring in a law for non nationals.
    I had no problem paying the amount of money we did to get my wife here,in 6 mths she can apply for citizenship and I hope it goes smoothly,she is a qualified dental nurse and found it tough to get work her first year and was unable to get any assistance with courses or looked for them as my salary exceeded the limit,thankfully all is well now she found work in her profession.
    We do feel that it is odd though that we cannot travel together to Spain or Portugal without a headache amount of paperwork but a non national from the eu married to someone from outside the eu can just jump on a plane to Lisbon for a wknd away.
    I agree you have been unfairly labeled as a nutter and yes the system is flawed but we also need a bit of diversity,I must say though in nearly 5 yrs I have never experienced racism directly or my wife and it makes you wonder where all these stories come from,she has a group of maybe 30 non eu friends and o asked them before have they experienced racism,they have not,Ireland is not the bad in that regard thankfully.

Sorry can I ask what country you are from? The reason is because you stated that your wife is eligible to apply for Irish citizenship in six months time, so I assume you would have an Irish passport yourself. If that is the case- then you have every right to travel with your wife to all EU member countries (except the UK and if you decide to go there, this will be given to you free of charge in a few days upon confirmation of your marital status) with your wife without applying for a visa so your arguement about the amount of paperwork (as underlined above) to travel within Europe is unfounded- you could perharps familiarise yourself with the EU free movement legislation.

I will attach this website for your perusal:

http://europa.eu/legislation_summaries/justice_freedom_security/free_movement_of_persons_asylum_immigration/index_en.htm
    King victor I am an Irish born citizen firstly to clear that up.
    I have plenty of experience with the mountains of material needed per application.
    I wish it was as simple as you state or as black and White as the website leads you to believe but this is not the case.
    A few examples I will give you,we have been turned down in the past for a visa to tge Uk on grounds that they were not satisfied why we were flying into one airport and leaving from another on a 7 day trip,this was not free and their delay cost me the whole trip,flights etc lost money and too little time to appeal.
    Secondly on visiting Paris we had to provide the mortgage agreement of my sisters house as we were staying with her,plus bank account details for both of us health insurance and a trip to the massy resulting in both of us taking time off work.
    Our friends wife had to attend the Spanish embassy on 3 occasions to process a visa for a trip there with her Irish husband and this was round trip travel up and down plus they required health insurance.
    Unfortunately having every right and bring able to exercise that right are two separate matters.
    Our polish friend who's wife is non EU can just hop on a plane with her and all he has to do is bring his marriage cert,why should we have to jump through hoops.
    The Uk outsource their visa service and there is a charge for this.

Does "catering" include Hotels?

:D Yes. I know the Irish Hotels Federation was crying out for extra staff in the late 90's, even when we still had high enough unemployment.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

:D Yes. I know the Irish Hotels Federation was crying out for extra staff in the late 90's, even when we still had high enough unemployment.

Crying back "the conditions is shite" evidently didn't feature on their radar.

Well they can't. They need permits and the like. It was always the way of it, and as we became more prosperous more were needed and more arrived. We've had thousands of muslims here for decades, for instance, mostly because of the meat trade.

And of course theres asylum seekers, who we've been obligated to take in since we signed an article of the Geneva convention back in the 1950's.

the permits are very easy to get. all the African people i know are here on student visas. there is an African church beside my job. how are they here. they cant all be students.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Did anyone hear The Last Word yesterday? An Aussie and a Yank believe that Ireland needs to increase its population to 8 million over the next couple of decades.

check out the interview on http://www.todayfm.com/Shows/Weekdays/Matt-Cooper/listen.aspx (Tuesday part 2 at 38 mins in.)

okay. here's a more direct question. are some races easier to integrate/live with than others ?

as an Irish society can we peacefully coexist with European immigrants, as opposed to different cultures from outside Europe ?

• Advertisement

Did anyone hear The Last Word yesterday? An Aussie and a Yank believe that Ireland needs to increase its population to 8 million over the next couple of decades.

check out the interview on http://www.todayfm.com/Shows/Weekdays/Matt-Cooper/listen.aspx (Tuesday part 2 at 38 mins in.)

.....Did they say why we had to be a Sardine can?

Crying back "the conditions is shite" evidently didn't feature on their radar.

Yeah, the conditions were always ****e! :D I've my doubts that even if you improved the conditions it would have meant that much, conditions can be crap enough in construction or industry, didn't bother 100's of thousands.

It's a fair point but they also couldn't compete with construction or industry. The truth is probably in the middle somewhere

the permits are very easy to get.
    all the African people i know are here on student visas. there is an African church beside my job. how are they here. they cant all be students.

Who said they were all students?

okay. here's a more direct question. are some races easier to integrate/live with than others ?

as an Irish society can we peacefully coexist with European immigrants, as opposed to different cultures from outside Europe ?

Americans and Canadians seem to integrate fine! ;)

Yeah, the conditions were always ****e! :D I've my doubts that even if you improved the conditions it would have meant that much, conditions can be crap enough in construction or industry, didn't bother 100's of thousands.

It's a fair point but they also couldn't compete with construction or industry. The truth is probably in the middle somewhere

No, it's a different kind of crap. I don't know anyone who lasted more than a month or so at it.

• Advertisement

Mike, we had 8million before the famine. maybe they want to get us back to that figure. our maybe that's the figure we need to have a chance of paying our new massive debt back.its not a society. its an economy that's needed.

Mike, we had 8million before the famine. maybe they want to get us back to that figure. our maybe that's the figure we need to have a chance of paying our new massive debt back.its not a society. its an economy that's needed.

Maybe they want to start another feckin famine....we can barely manage the bunch we have.....

would you agree that they are more in tune with us ? most of them emigrated from Europe?

Who said they were all students?

i know some of them. they told me they are here on student visas. these are guys under30
    . others are a lot older, whole families. dunno how they get here, asylum?

would you agree that they are more in tune with us ? most of them emigrated from Europe?
    Most immigrants given half a chance integrate well especially if they are employed it gives them a chance to mix.
    When a community is isolated that's when they don't integrate hence the refugees being unable to work and living together in one huge centre,now whether they would want to work is another debate but they are going to lean on whomever is close to them.
    Irish people are often slightly intimidated by people from different continents of different colour but if you look at Australian multicultural ties you often see White Aussies mixing with Asian or middle eastern folk who have settled there.

i know some of them. they told me they are here on student visas. these are guys under30
    . others are a lot older, whole families. dunno how they get here, asylum?

No idea. You'd have to check the CSO figures, if such exist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

Ah sure, OP...

TIZ ALL GRAND,WAYYY'!

Most immigrants given half a chance integrate well especially if they are employed it gives them a chance to mix.
    When a community is isolated that's when they don't integrate hence the refugees being unable to work and living together in one huge centre,now whether they would want to work is another debate but they are going to lean on whomever is close to them.
    Irish people are often slightly intimidated by people from different continents of different colour but if you look at Australian multicultural ties you often see White Aussies mixing with Asian or middle eastern folk who have settled there.

i have a friend from nigeria. he says many of the Nigerians come here for the dole. this guy works really hard. and he is ashamed of his compatriots. he actually said he was from south africa before he admitted he was from nigeria. hes a sound guy.

that would be like me saying I'm English. not irish.

No, it's a different kind of crap. I don't know anyone who lasted more than a month or so at it.

I lasted a few years! LOL. I know what you are getting at. There are unscrupulous employers, also very good ones. Even with good ones it's very much a vocation in my mind, long, unsociable hours, split shifts, late nights and early starts.

You didn't answer my question. You originally suggested we peacefully coexist with European immigrants, going from your non answer and rhetorical answer about Canadians, this seems to have been broadened.

Do Aussies get a pass?

Will you ever just spit it out man! Do we need anther round of questions?

Plus, what's this peacefully co-exist crap?

i have a friend from nigeria. he says many of the Nigerians come here for the dole. this guy works really hard. and he is ashamed of his compatriots. he actually said he was from south africa before he admitted he was from nigeria. hes a sound guy.
    Unfortunately your probably right,I have been told the same by a Nigerian fella I'm my gym,he is not too ashamed and keeps doing courses to stay on the social.
    Now he's a sound fella but pushing 50 and doing tigg welding courses,he even laughs about.

• Advertisement

anyway. the benefits ? im sure there's loads of benefits. loads of drawbacks too. a debate would have been nice. I'm convinced it was foisted upon us. there wasno debate. I voted for European integration.

I lasted a few years! LOL. I know what you are getting at. There are unscrupulous employers, also very good ones. Even with good ones it's very much a vocation in my mind, long, unsociable hours, split shifts, late nights and early starts.

You didn't answer my question. You originally suggested we peacefully coexist with European immigrants, going from your non answer and rhetorical answer about Canadians, this seems to have been broadened.

Do Aussies get a pass?

What was your question? No avoidance here. I voted for open European borders.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭blueyedson

that would be like me saying I'm English. not irish.

Or a Cavan man saying he's from Monaghan

blueyedson wrote: »
    Or a Cavan man saying he's from Monaghan

low man. too low.

What was your question? No avoidance here. I voted for open European borders.

Just scroll back.

i scrolled back to this. Americans and Canadians are not clamoring to get into ireland.

still don't get your point. not being elusive.

Do Aussies get a pass?

scrolled back to this too. "peacefully coexist" ? not exactly the words i used!

any referendums i voted in was in relation to European integration. thats it. thats all.

the wider world didn't come into it. although i may move freely anywhere in Europe, i cant go to anywhere else outside the eu, unless it's a holiday. am i wrong with these points?

King victor I am an Irish born citizen firstly to clear that up.
    I have plenty of experience with the mountains of material needed per application.
    I wish it was as simple as you state or as black and White as the website leads you to believe but this is not the case.
    A few examples I will give you,we have been turned down in the past for a visa to tge Uk on grounds that they were not satisfied why we were flying into one airport and leaving from another on a 7 day trip,this was not free and their delay cost me the whole trip,flights etc lost money and too little time to appeal.
    Secondly on visiting Paris we had to provide the mortgage agreement of my sisters house as we were staying with her,plus bank account details for both of us health insurance and a trip to the massy resulting in both of us taking time off work.
    Our friends wife had to attend the Spanish embassy on 3 occasions to process a visa for a trip there with her Irish husband and this was round trip travel up and down plus they required health insurance.
    Unfortunately having every right and bring able to exercise that right are two separate matters.
    Our polish friend who's wife is non EU can just hop on a plane with her and all he has to do is bring his marriage cert,why should we have to jump through hoops.
    The Uk outsource their visa service and there is a charge for this.

Sappa, did you read the link I gave you? Go and read it very slowly please. I am not saying you are giving false examples but they all sound questionable to me.

Lets start again, as an EU citizen, you are free to travel to other member countries and the same rights are accorded your family members even if they are Non-EU citizens- those are the rules. Remember the argument from the OP which you supported that non-EU spouses of Europeans have it easier in Ireland than spouses of Irish citizens? Surely, it cant be one-sided, other countries have to extend the same rights to Irish citizens if they travel or move to other EU countries- you get it.

Just in case you are really serious that you dont know your rights and those of your family members, I am attaching other links that might be of help.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/eucitizens/eea-family-permit/

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/entry-exit/non-eu-family/index_en.htm

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Clareboy wrote: »
    Speaking as a middle aged unemployed Irish male - I am sick of listening to all these do-gooders talking about all the new communities and cultures that have established themselves in Ireland over the past 10 years. What's in it for me? How do I benefit from the New Multicultural Ireland? I would love if someone could tell me! Discuss!
    Was your former line of work taxi driving by any chance?

• Advertisement

Sappa, did you read the link I gave you? Go and read it very slowly please. I am not saying you are giving false examples but they all sound questionable to me.

Lets start again, as an EU citizen, you are free to travel to other member countries and the same rights are accorded your family members even if they are Non-EU citizens- those are the rules. Remember the argument from the OP which you supported that non-EU spouses of Europeans have it easier in Ireland than spouses of Irish citizens? Surely, it cant be one-sided, other countries have to extend the same rights to Irish citizens if they travel or move to other EU countries- you get it.

Just in case you are really serious that you dont know your rights and those of your family members, I am attaching other links that might be of help.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/eucitizens/eea-family-permit/

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/entry-exit/non-eu-family/index_en.htm
    Oh man,
    Firstly this(Go and read it very slowly please) very patronising.
    I have being going through this visa nonsense for 5 years now,I know my rights inside out but the simple fact is not every country adheres to these rights and will often take a few weeks assessing the application and give you a negative result or request further information as a delay tactic giving you a weeks notice.
    My own wife was turned down for a hol visa to the UK as they questioned why we were flying into Manchester and leaving from London,never mind the fact that I have a very secure job and met the funds.
    Anyway you can question away but this is my situation and I am well used to the visa process and knowing my rights and my wife`s rights in all this,but the wheels in the cog don`t always grind so easily.
    Might I ask you what your experience is with applying for Irish visa`s or have you any as often the case on boards people tend not to know the real situation unless it directly affects them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I'd say there are more Irish people in London alone than the entire Polish population in Ireland. We can't really complain.

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    I'd say there are more Irish people in London alone than the entire Polish population in Ireland. We can't really complain.
    Nope we should not complain but they were our former overlords and we are just returning the favour and keeping good relations by taking their jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

BraziliaNZ wrote: »

There are people living in London than the whole population of Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

There are people living in London than the whole population of Ireland.

http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l93wottLzt1qc8adao1_400.jpg

Oh man,
    I have being going through this visa nonsense for 5 years now,I know my rights inside out but the simple fact is not every country adheres to these rights and will often take a few weeks assessing the application and give you a negative result or request further information as a delay tactic giving you a weeks notice.
    My own wife was turned down for a hol visa to the UK as they questioned why we were flying into Manchester and leaving from London,never mind the fact that I have a very secure job and met the funds.
    Anyway you can question away but this is my situation and I am well used to the visa process and knowing my rights and my wife`s rights in all this,but the wheels in the cog don`t always grind so easily.
    Might I ask you what your experience is with applying for Irish visa`s or have you any as often the case on boards people tend not to know the real situation unless it directly affects them.

I apologise if you felt I came across as patronising. Didnt mean to at all. I was just trying to point out the lack of logic in the OPs argument that non-EU family members of EU nationals are treated better in Ireland that spouses of Irish nationals- yet you say you have difficulties in exercising those same rights in other EU member states.

As long as you state on the form that you are married to an EU national which is the case with your wife , then visas are issued free of charge and relatively faster than usual. If you check the UK visa application form online- it specifically states that the visa will be free of charge to EU family members and from experience it is usually issued within 10 days after the applicant has been fingerprinted in Dublin. I have friends in similar circumstances that have applied for visas free of charge to the UK, France, Belgium, Holland and they were granted fairly easily.

In fact, in recent months, the EU has legislated that EU family members no longer need visas if they are going to the Schengen area so essentially your wife does not need a visa if she is accompanying or joining you in another EU Schengen country- *as long as she has a valid residence permit in Ireland*

The only explanation I can think of in relation to your case is that your wife did not state that she is married to an Irish national when applying to these countries.

• Advertisement

Oh man,

I apologise if you felt I came across as patronising. Didnt mean to at all. I was just trying to point out the lack of logic in the OPs argument that non-EU family members of EU nationals are treated better in Ireland that spouses of Irish nationals- yet you say you have difficulties in exercising those same rights in other EU member states.

As long as you state on the form that you are married to an EU national which is the case with your wife , then visas are issued free of charge and relatively faster than usual. If you check the UK visa application form online- it specifically states that the visa will be free of charge to EU family members and from experience it is usually issued within 10 days after the applicant has been fingerprinted in Dublin. I have friends in similar circumstances that have applied for visas free of charge to the UK, France, Belgium, Holland and they were granted fairly easily.

In fact, in recent months, the EU has legislated that EU family members no longer need visas if they are going to the Schengen area so essentially your wife does not need a visa if she is accompanying or joining you in another EU Schengen country- *as long as she has a valid residence permit in Ireland*

The only explanation I can think of in relation to your case is that your wife did not state that she is married to an Irish national when applying to these countries.
    Nope I went to the embassy with her,did the forms myself etc.
    The UK is a different kettle of fish regards visa,now this was 2 yrs back it might of changed and the visa fee isn't the only expense during these embassy visits your talking taxis,or drive up,it's a costly day that should not be necessary.
    Try phoning their helpline it's 19 euro even if your on for a minute or 30.
    Ireland unfortunately isn't in the schengen hence the hassle,if I had stated I was not staying with my sister and in a hotel it would have been easier,hindsight but I believe in being honest on these forms.
    Maybe they select different countries for different rules who knows it clearly was a legitimate application.
    I don't want to derail the thread but that's our experience and I know of many more whose application was not straight forward.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Clareboy op .Apathy has many faces here in Oireland with disguises .As long as we can pay our bills the Balubas can own this country .

Advertisement