Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The New Multicultural Ireland - The Benefits?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Jorah

Multiculturalism is an utter disaster.

Whats happened to London will be reflected in Dublin.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Clareboy wrote: »
    Irish jobs for Irish workers!

I think what you actually mean is American jobs for Irish workers. We do quite nicely out of US outsourcing. In the words of Jack White, you can't be a pimp and a prostitute too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

@OP

They could help you build a one-off house if you wanted one.

If I'm ever stuck for someone to do a job on a one-off house I can get an Eastern European lad who will do it for a decent, not over-inflated wage and he won't go on a big spiel about how we should all live in cities and how one-off houses are a backward 'Oirish' thing that should be banned by the government because they use too many 'services' that we are expected to pay property tax for .

If moneys tight, I can rent a room of a one-off house to some Eastern european fella salt of the earth, newly imported fellow Irishman.

They could give me advice and help me pick a holiday one-off house in their home country, preferably a brightly coloured mansion on top of a hill that can be seen from 30 miles away. Completely off the grid, powered by an old diesel generator bellowing out large clouds of blue smoke. It won't use any local services except for the heavily subsidised satellite internet.

If there are a few acres to go with it I can ask my migrant friend to help me fill in the forms to extract as much money as possible from the government and he can enlighten me on all the latest cattle-transporting scams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Jorah wrote: »

...O God no!!!!!!!!!!We're all gonna dieeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Or maybe not.

Nodin wrote: »
    ...O God no!!!!!!!!!!We're all gonna dieeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes because I definitely implied that...

Typical sarcastic response to a fair comment. Multiculturalism does not work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

Multi-racial: okay

Multi-cultural: disaster

It's been proven in the UK & other countries.

Communities of immigrants that don't/won't integrate foster suspicion in their host country.

This leads to suspicion, distrust & a general level of paranioa.

All in all, not good stuff really.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

So you are saying " let the Irish emigrate or stay on the economic scrap heap" while the jobs go to the foreigners. Irish jobs for Irish workers!
    I work in a place where most of Irish jobs are done by foreigners. You're more than welcome. All you need is to speak Italian, German, French, Swedish, Finnish or Danish (that's the language, not the pastry)

Yes because I definitely implied that...

Typical sarcastic response to a fair comment. Multiculturalism does not work.

It seems to be far from the disaster you think it, as far as I can see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Hot Polish girls, with pert breasts in the Irish sunshine.
    More water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Multi-racial: okay

Multi-cultural: disaster

It's been proven in the UK & other countries.

Communities of immigrants that don't/won't integrate foster suspicion in their host country.

This leads to suspicion, distrust & a general level of paranioa.

All in all, not good stuff really.

I agree i like when people come over and integrate. What i don't want is a Bradford here is Ireland with half a town or city becoming a Pakistani ghetto. Full of Pakistani culture and little else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

When all their kids grow up we might get a decent football team.

wait, is the racist? I'm always wondering, like saying jews are good bankers.. it's a compliment!

EGAR wrote: »

You realise that it was virtually impossible for somebody not deemed to have 'german blood' to get citzenship until just 10 years before that speech was made?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

He was asking what was in it for him and I gave him a fair answer. Ireland, as an island, has a very limited gene pool, like Iceland. It's good to mix it up a bit don't you think??!
    Compare and contrast the populations of the two countries, go get a PhD in genetic studies, then come back to us and tell us how Ireland is terribly inbred. To save you some time: no, its not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

If you ever get ill OP, they'll likely be treating you. Think America and how immigration has been a positive force in that country. The immigrants we get in Europe are among the best and brightest in their home countries. You would be shocked at the qualifications some of them have while working menial jobs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

You realise that it was virtually impossible for somebody not deemed to have 'german blood' to get citzenship until just 10 years before that speech was made?

This is not quite true. Many of the second generation Turks, Greek etc hold German citizenship.

It seems to be far from the disaster you think it, as far as I can see.

As a Londoner, I disagree.

"Multiculturalism" is a broad term so to say there can only be ONE culture in a nation is false. Yet there must be a unifying strong sense of national pride that comes from a sense of a shared culture. This is incredibly difficult to do amongst various groups that have different religious and cultural loyalties.

Islam does not function in modern Western nations. Sikhism and Hinduism tend to adapt better, but they are enclosed communities. The fabric of a society is ruined when there are ethnic loyalties amongst multiple groups of people.

I'm not somebody that hates immigration or blindly accepts racist dogma. As an English person whose ancestors came from Ireland, it would be hypocritical of me to be so bigoted.

Jewish and Irish immigration to the East End of London was protested against. Yet they have been able to integrate without problem. Yet this isn't the case when you pull immigrants from different continents into a modern European nation. It's just asking for trouble.

Multi-Ethnic societies can absolutely work. However, tribal warfare is inevitable in a Multicultural society and that is what will happen if the Irish put a larger emphasis on tolerance and acceptance of new immigrants as opposed to integration of these people into Ireland.

I cannot look at Brick Lane London with the Urdu translation under the street sign and think that is right. I cannot hear locals referring to this area as "Banglatown" and believe this is a positive thing. I can't imagine the EastEnders being shelled to **** during the Blitz 70 years ago, enduring such conditions so their home town can be completely transformed by mass third world immigration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

No more work permits for non EU citizens

Cancel all existing non EU work permits

All non-nationals (except UK ) on welfare to be repatriated

In other words, protect our labour market and save on welfare.
    Why would you let just the Brits stay?

True, sure we can't even handle two cultures for the entire island.

"Multiculturalism" is a broad term so to say there can only be ONE culture in a nation is false. Yet there must be a unifying strong sense of national pride that comes from a sense of a shared culture. This is incredibly difficult to do amongst various groups that have different religious and cultural loyalties.

Islam does not function in modern Western nations. Sikhism and Hinduism tend to adapt better, but they are enclosed communities. The fabric of a society is ruined when there are ethnic loyalties amongst multiple groups of people.

I'm not somebody that hates immigration or blindly accepts racist dogma. As an English person whose ancestors came from Ireland, it would be hypocritical of me to be so bigoted.

Jewish and Irish immigration to the East End of London was protested against. Yet they have been able to integrate without problem. Yet this isn't the case when you pull immigrants from different continents into a modern European nation. It's just asking for trouble.

Multi-Ethnic societies can absolutely work. However, tribal warfare is inevitable in a Multicultural society and that is what will happen if the Irish put a larger emphasis on tolerance and acceptance of new immigrants as opposed to integration of these people into Ireland.

I cannot look at Brick Lane London with the Urdu translation under the street sign and think that is right. I cannot hear locals referring to this area as "Banglatown" and believe this is a positive thing. I can't imagine the EastEnders being shelled to **** during the Blitz 70 years ago, enduring such conditions so their home town can be completely transformed by mass third world immigration.

Wise words. Its just a pity anything other than blind acceptance of the march towards multiculturalism is shouted down as racist.

We need to move very slow here in Ireland with immigration. That way there is a higher chance to integrate. We also need to put Irish culture first and not be to afraid to say to newcomers... "no, sorry this is how we do it here". When in Rome and all that. People come here they adapt to our ways of life and if they can't handle that then they can go home imo

woodoo wrote: »
    "no, sorry this is how we do it here"

Other than whether something is legal or not what business is it of yours exactly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

Your post is fantastic and I completely agree.

I don't have any problem with foreign culture having some sort of effect on a host nation. You may see Polish shops, Jewish shops etc around parts of London and that is fantastic as they add a different dimension to a local community. However, when you have Bangladeshi/Pakistani areas which have more or less consumed entire districts, forced the retreat of native shops, businesses and communities, and enforced a way of life which is deemed acceptable accepted in the distant land they have arrived from, it simply isn't on. Seeing the road signs on the streets of London, the heart of the anglosphere etc is very disconcerting. Ken will be back soon to ensure there are many more to accompany them

As a Londoner
    And we're off.
    amacachi wrote: »
    Three guesses and the first two don't count.
    Except we've had dozens of cultures in the Republic for the last ten years and we seem to be handling it just fine.
    bwatson wrote: »
    Your post is fantastic and I completely agree.
    Please stop being a cliche.

Other than whether something is legal or not what business is it of yours exactly?

I'm talking about silly things like not calling a blackboard a blackboard anymore, minimising Christmas celebrations for fear of insulting other religions, women expecting to be allowed wear the burqa where others wouldn't be allowed cover their face and on and on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I'm talking about silly things like not calling a blackboard a blackboard anymore, minimising Christmas celebrations for fear of insulting other religions, women expecting to be allowed wear the burqa where others wouldn't be allowed cover their face and on and on.

I don't think any of these things have happened in Ireland.

And claims of them happening in other countries have been greatly exaggerated, like the Birmingham Winterval myth which countless numbers of people still believe thanks to the daily mail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I'm talking about silly things like not calling a blackboard a blackboard anymore,

I'm pretty sure that one was an internet myth

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    And we're off.

Off to an opinion you don't like? Rather than trying to refute my points or discuss the issue, you'd rather dismiss everything I've said because of my location...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

There are 544,357 non irish people in the country now according to the census. I'd be interested in knowing how many of them are unemployed.

Roughly 20% of people on social welfare are non-nationals.

I remember back in 2010 there was a staggering report that in that year alone - the number of foreign nationals on the dole, jumped from 45,000 to almost 80,000.

Just like there were many many warnings regarding Ireland's economic good fortune not being all that it seemed, there too were equally as many warnings regarding the amount of non-nationals we were letting into the country, but as with everything else in Ireland, the people that needed to listen, didn't - they just stuck their fingers in their ears, pointed their fingers and screamed: 'racist!' - and they're still doing it, just not with as much vigor as they were.

Maybe in another ten years time, just as we can all sit down now and see Bertie and Co in their true and deserving light, we too will be able to do the same regarding Ireland's Immigration policies of the past fifteen years and just what a negative impact that has had on the country. Maybe, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Three guesses and the first two don't count.
    Eh?
    Except we've had dozens of cultures in the Republic for the last ten years and we seem to be handling it just fine.
    I was being half-sarcastic since when ya look at the Love Ulster debacle it seems we're not that great. It's fine for now as long as the recent immigrants haven't really politicized themselves.
    The blackboard thing is a myth, Christmas celebrations are fine once state funds aren't spent and agreed on the burkha. You're ok with white Christians though is what I assume you're trying to get at.

Off to an opinion you don't like? Rather than trying to refute my points or discuss the issue, you'd rather dismiss everything I've said because of my location...
    Next we roll out the "Ireland hasn't had enough time to become racist", then we rock the "UK was racist in a shorter time than ten years if you look at the various acts of parliament", before wrapping it up with "any other country would have had riots if one person in six was foreign over a period of ten years".

Any questions?

Roughly 20% of people on social welfare are non-nationals.

I remember back in 2010 there was a staggering report that in that year alone - the number of foreign nationals on the dole, jumped from 45,000 to almost 80,000.
    There's 766,770 people in the country who were born abroad which is about 16.7% of the population. Given that foreign-born residents will naturally be underrepresented in the pensioner and under-15s age groups that puts that 20% pretty much on par for everyone. Given how reliant they were on the worst-affected sectors in the recession and yet have only the same unemployment rate it's pretty good going by them.

• Advertisement

Next we roll out the "Ireland hasn't had enough time to become racist", then we rock the "UK was racist in a shorter time than ten years if you look at the various acts of parliament", before wrapping it up with "any other country would have had riots if one person in six was foreign over a period of ten years".

In fairness there's merit in that "time to become racist" thing, I've noticed a slow change in sentiment since the start of the crash unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

That is more deep rooted though. We seem to be pretty much accepted now. :)

In fairness there's merit in that "time to become racist" thing, I've noticed a slow change in sentiment since the start of the crash unfortunately.
    Did you notice it on AH from anonymous posters, entirely anecdotally from your own experiences, or through a peer reviewed study?

Did you notice it on AH from anonymous posters, entirely anecdotally from your own experiences, or through a peer reviewed study?

Own experiences.

Any questions?

You're not making any sense.

It doesn't matter if I'm from London or Amsterdam. I'm from a place where Multiculturalism is failing and I'm giving my opinion on it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 82 ✭✭CajunOnTour

Great news in the census; despite the best efforts of FF the population rose and there was little net emigration in the year to April 2011 (three years after the crash).

While no doubt the current illegitimate FG & Labour Regime will have had Irish people emigrating in despair and disgust at the destruction of democracy in Ireland since then, the continued influx of young bright productive people from across the globe will compliment those of us still here (and with luck they'll pay our college fees) :)

These incomers will more than compensate for those forced to emigrate because of the construction and financial collapse and suicidal policies of the current Fascist Government. They are also very easy on the eye, especially the eastern females. My current girlfriend is Polish, neither she nor her family has ever drawn welfare in Ireland, so I can vouch for them them on several fronts.

I think Food Science or Agriculture, Genetic crop engineering is the way to go (that's where I'm headed); maybe for a few years while we recover we could stop funding pointless third level education in Law, Arts, and Social "sciences"?

At least till we finish with the Bank Reparations to the EU, which will take until another election restores democracy.

Skimming the thread one thing is clear - we need to cut out this xenophobic and barely disguised racist reaction to the great news contained in the census.

Own experiences.
    Fair enough, not meaning to be a hardass about it, but I'm pretty impressed by our national response to mass immigration. It gives one faith.
    You're not making any sense.

It doesn't matter if I'm from London or Amsterdam. I'm from a place where Multiculturalism is failing and I'm giving my opinion on it.
    But it does matter, since it appears to be failing where you're from and not failing where I'm from. I agree that many of the more extreme attitudes of muslim minority sects need readjustment, but either we don't have them here or they are blunted by the local easygoing attitude.

Great news in the census; despite the best efforts of FF the population rose and there was little net emigration in the year to April 2011 (three years after the crash).

While no doubt the current illegitimate FG & Labour Regime will have had Irish people emigrating in despair and disgust at the destruction of democracy in Ireland since then, the continued influx of young bright productive people from across the globe will copliment those of us still here (and with luck they'll pay our college fees) :)

These incomers will more than compensate for those forced to emigrate because of the construction and financial collapse and suicidal policies of the current Fascist Government.

I think Food Science or Agriculture, Genetic crop engineering is the way to go (that's where I'm headed); maybe for a few years while we recover we could stop funding pointless third level education in Law, Arts, and Social "sciences"?

At least till we finish with the Bank Reparations to the EU, which will take until another election restores democracy.

Skimming the thread one thing is clear - we need to cut out this xenophobic and barely disguised racist reaction to the great news contained in the census.
    Huh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

While no doubt the current illegitimate FG & Labour Regime will have had Irish people emigrating in despair and disgust at the destruction of democracy in Ireland since then, the continued influx of young bright productive people from across the globe will copliment those of us still here (and with luck they'll pay our college fees) :)

These incomers will more than compensate for those forced to emigrate because of the construction and financial collapse and suicidal policies of the current Fascist Government.

Strange post :confused:

Seems to me it was written by a smug student will little experience of working in the real world and dealing with real pressures

• Advertisement

Fair enough, not meaning to be a hardass about it, but I'm pretty impressed by our national response to mass immigration. It gives one faith.
    So was I til maybe 18 months ago but I've been alarmed at the changes in attitudes I've seen in that time.
    Actually tbh having 1 in 6 of a population being foreign-born is just damn impressive, I wonder if anywhere other than places full of refugee camps has a higher proportion than that. Quick glance says the US and UK are both lower anyway.

Immigration and multiculturalism are not the same thing. They may be; but often are not.

When is happening here is more likely to involve assimilation and melding of most incomers.

Certain groups may choose to remain or feel excluded/isolated from the mainstream. Traditionally that applied to Jews in many parts of Europe and more recently Muslims (often for reasons related to the current attacks on the Islamic world by The West).

Multilateralists defend their right do do so.

Integrationists have a different view.

Xenophobia and racism isn't the answer the the fact that a small minority of immigrants have cultures with different core values.

Anyway, history - Irish history especially, shows you can't really stop people coming. At least the current lot aren't coming in with weapons, murdering and displacing by force of arms!

Invaders since the Vikings and Normans have left all of us "natives" with a mixed genetic inheritance, have left us us speaking English, have left us as the only country in world with less people than we had 170 years ago!

And you want to preserve this legacy of conquest and genocide?

The more incomers we get (and the less of then from the white "Anglo-Saxon" world), the merrier! :cool:

But it does matter, since it appears to be failing where you're from and not failing where I'm from. I agree that many of the more extreme attitudes of muslim minority sects need readjustment, but either we don't have them here or they are blunted by the local easygoing attitude.

Its failed everywhere. Canada seems to be the least affected but still has a great number of problems.

You cannot compare 32,000 Muslims (2006) with 1.5 million (2001). Most British Muslims say they are proud to be British. Yet even amongst these people extremist views are common (implementation of sharia law and punishment to those who offend Islam). "Easygoing attitudes" has nothing to do with it.

You say you are proud with the way Ireland has dealt with mass immigration. That's such a ridiculous statement.

Its failed everywhere. Canada seems to be the least affected but still has a great number of problems.

You cannot compare 32,000 Muslims (2006) with 1.5 million (2001). Most British Muslims say they are proud to be British. Yet even amongst these people extremist views are common (implementation of sharia law and punishment to those who offend Islam). "Easygoing attitudes" has nothing to do with it.

Ah! So it's not "immigrants" per se you are really concerned about!

It's Muslims - and probably..eh...Nigerians too eh?

You have given yourself away :cool:

Even if one could stomach such a racist viewpoint, the number of Muslims coming here is still tiny compared to non-Muslims arriving! This is Ireland; not the UK, not France.

Let's deal with our own reality.

Immigration and multiculturalism are not the same thing. They may be; but often are not.

Thanks for that. I was unaware that immigration referred to people crossing borders to gain residence whereas Multiculturalism is a government-backed policy of creating an environment for various cultures to exist amongst one another rather than one overarching dominant culture.

[QUOTE=CajunOnTour;77852357
    Certain groups may choose to remain or feel excluded/isolated from the mainstream. Traditionally that applied to Jews in many parts of Europe and more recently Muslims (often for reasons related to the current attacks on the Islamic world by The West).[/QUOTE]

Because those Muslims (regardless of where they are born) have religious and cultural loyalties that they value above the nation they are born in.

Anyway, history - Irish history especially, shows you can't really stop people coming. At least the current lot aren't coming in with weapons, murdering and displacing by force of arms!

In other words, the disintegration of Irish culture is completely acceptable providing it happens via mass immigration rather than brutal invasion.

Invaders since the Vikings and Normans have left all of us "natives" with a mixed genetic inheritance, have left us us speaking English, have left us as the only country in world with less people than we had 170 years ago!

I can definitely see the new immigrants wanting to preserve the Irish language...
    And you want to preserve this legacy of conquest and genocide?

I believe the people of Ireland should want to preserve what they fought for.
    The more incomers we get (and the less of then from the white "Anglo-Saxon" world), the merrier! :cool:

In ten years time you will have a very different view (or your children).

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Seems to me it was written by a smug student will little experience of working in the real world and dealing with real pressures

That's personal abuse; evasion; attempts at charactising the poster rather than dealing with the post; playing the ball rather than the student.

I could go on but I doubt you be up to the task of real debate. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

Better looking women. Ireland has been isolated so long we could use some mixing in of the gene pool.

As for the challenges that come with integration so do benefits of fresh perspectives.

As for the constant argument of Muslim extremism, we were not much different two decades ago though our methods differ.

If we fail to integrate we doom ourselves to the problems created in England by creating isolation(ghettos), racism, ignorance, intolerance.

I used to claim Ireland was a nation found on freedoms but iv become more cynical with age.

I was actually replying to the point Doc Ruby made

"I agree that many of the more extreme attitudes of muslim minority sects need readjustment, but either we don't have them here or they are blunted by the local easygoing attitude."

If you read the thread, you would have seen that before jumping to whatever conclusions you have.

How so?

Even if one could stomach such a racist viewpoint

Islam is a religion, Muslims are not a race of people Mr conclusion jumper.

the number of Muslims coming here is still tiny compared to non-Muslims arriving! This is Ireland; not the UK, not France.

Why does that matter?

Why do you consider it a good thing that there aren't as many Muslims migrating to Ireland?

Better looking women. Ireland has been isolated so long we could use some mixing in of the gene pool.

As for the challenges that come with integration so do benefits of fresh perspectives.

As for the constant argument of Muslim extremism, we were not much different two decades ago though our methods differ.

If we fail to integrate we doom ourselves to the problems created in England by creating isolation(ghettos), racism, ignorance, intolerance.

I used to claim Ireland was a nation found on freedoms but iv become more cynical with age.

Easy bud, you seem to be making out that England is some sort of dystopian soceity. I must say that overall I've noticed far more racism and ignorance back home than I have here.

As for your point on Irish and Muslim terrorists being fairly similar, well as someone from the North who detests the IRA with every fibre of my being, the motives and methods of Irish terror groups and Islamic terror groups in general differ quite broadly.

Because those Muslims (regardless of where they are born) have religious and cultural loyalties that they value above the nation they are born in.

Exactly the same generalisation could be made of the Jews. How would you react to that? Should we exclude them because of that?
    I can definitely see the new immigrants wanting to preserve the Irish language...

It would be hard ti imagine they'd have any less enthusiasm than the "natives" who have failed in this task for 90 years due to lack of interest or outright hostility.

A complete non-issue re the immigrant debate.
    In ten years time you will have a very different view (or your children).

I think not - and speculating what I might think in ten years is a pretty lame exercise.

At the moment I kinda hope they'd be half Polish ;)

Even if one could stomach such a racist viewpoint, the number of Muslims coming here is still tiny compared to non-Muslims arriving! This is Ireland; not the UK, not France.

Let's deal with our own reality.

He focused on muslims because the poster he was replying to focused on muslims. You are all arrogance and no substance with your stupid little sunglasses smilies.

Regardless, I would understand a person being more wary of Muslims than any other immigrant groups in London. Mainly because I haven't seen Jamaicans, Sikhs, or Eastern Europeans parading round holding signs calling for beheadings of those who hold different views, and calling for the destruction of the institutions and values of the nation which has offered them the chance of a better life.

• Advertisement
Advertisement