Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The New Multicultural Ireland - The Benefits?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

ScumLord wrote: »
    A country that's not multicultural/multiracial is more than likely some unimportant, stagnent back water that nobody wants to go to because there's nothing there to do.
    Or it's Japan/Korea/China. I'm sure there's more but off the top of my head it's those three growing superpowers.
    A funny thing is, everyone that is banging on about the benefits of multiculturalism - their 2 major arguments seems to be exotic food and more/better foreign soccer players? Is that really all? There must be more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Jorah wrote: »
    In other words, the disintegration of Irish culture is completely acceptable providing it happens via mass immigration rather than brutal invasion.
    Must be sad to have a culture so weak it can't survive the proximity of other cultures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

biko wrote: »
    Or it's Japan/Korea/China. I'm sure there's more but off the top of my head it's those three growing superpowers.
    A funny thing is, everyone that is banging on about the benefits of multiculturalism - their 2 major arguments seems to be exotic food and more/better foreign soccer players? Is that really all? There must be more.

The hot women. How could you forget the hot eastern European women who make Victoria Secret models look like Mary Harney :rolleyes:

Plus, how do people figure multiculturalism will improve our soccer team? Unless we start getting Spaniards, Germans, Brazillians arriving en masse, I don't think our soccer team will be winning World Cups in about 20 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

amacachi wrote: »
    You're ok with white Christians though is what I assume you're trying to get at.

There we go.... as predicted through the racist card, always the same. But thanks for verifying the point i was making.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Icepick wrote: »
    A very good example that multi culturalism still isn't as perfect as some say.

• Advertisement

KeithAFC wrote: »

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

SWL wrote: »
    Another self-hater in Ireland I can honestly never understand my so many Irish people love knocking their fellow countrymen.
    I agree that phenomenon seems very widespread - going by Boards anyway - but I fail to see anything in the post you quoted indicating self-hatred.

It isn't multiculturalism. You're pretending it is for some cryptic reason, but you know it isn't. "They" (whomever they are) don't say it's perfect. But shur try stirring sh1t anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Is Japan still growing? China has a way to go to be nearly a superpower and Korea ain't that big. If it starts to get big there'll be re-unification to slow things down.
    woodoo wrote: »
    There we go.... as predicted through the racist card, always the same. But thanks for verifying the point i was making.
    Why not clarify what you said then instead of playing the victim? Why let the British have rights but not let other nationalities have them?

It's been known for over 1000 years that Jews live off the toil of others. Being a banker, a diamond broker, or a producer (sitting on one's ass all day raking in the big bucks) is not "working hard, become valuable members of society and contributing disproportionately to their numbers", it's essentially being a parasite.
    Oh the guy who has issues with Jews and women - again. Wonder how many accounts it is now...?

• Advertisement

Dudess wrote: »
    It isn't multiculturalism. You're pretending it is for some cryptic reason, but you know it isn't. "They" (whomever they are) don't say it's perfect. But shur try stirring sh1t anyway.
    Of course it is. It is a people of a different culture. I think the posting of that video is a good example of what some people are saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Clareboy wrote: »
    No more work permits for non EU citizens

Cancel all existing non EU work permits

All non-nationals (except UK ) on welfare to be repatriated

In other words, protect our labour market and save on welfare.

Great! You clearly haven't thought it through, or maybe you are incapable of doing so.
    Today, approximately 100,000 people are directly employed in over 600 US firms in Ireland accounting for over 70% of all IDA supported employment .

Collectively US companies have US$190b in foreign direct investment (FDI) in Ireland. This represents 9% of all US investment in the EU & 5% worldwide. This equates to more than the total invested in the much hyped BRIC economies (Brazil, Russia, India, China). During the decade to 2010, US investment in Ireland was three times that invested in China .

LINK

I guess your modern Ireland would be able to survive on the remittances from all the Irish workers who would be forced to migrate to other countries to find work. I guess the significance of Irish government ministers wooing China and India hasn't dawned on you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Don't feed it and it will eventually go away

old_aussie wrote: »

Just one more reason to consider Islam a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

ScumLord wrote: »
    A country that's not multicultural/multiracial is more than likely some unimportant, stagnent back water that nobody wants to go to because there's nothing there to do.
    e.
    japan and Korea are long established supr powers and a I can guarantee you they all have foreigners working in the top industries, especially China as they don't have the necessary skills already in their population.

amacachi wrote: »
    Why not clarify what you said then instead of playing the victim? Why let the British have rights but not let other nationalities have them?

You are mistaking me for someone else, i never mentioned British.

They came down to act the goat.

They came down to act the goat.
    No evidence to prove this. A lot of bands came down and acted responsibly. It was the people who tried to destroy the city who should be looked at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

haminka wrote: »
    I believe that first and outmost, the laws and traditions of the country you live in should be respected. Bring your own traditions and enrich the culture of the country that took you on but accept theirs as the ones the majority will live by. Learn the language and mingle with the people. There is a difference between multiculturalism as an exchange and enrichment of values and being isolationist. I am all against banning Christmas and ham sandwiches and roast beef because it would offend other cultures. Ironically, the same people who are so oversensitive about the mainstream culture will go the extra hundred miles to wish someone nice Ramadan or Hanukka. I wouldn't serve an Indian guest beef or a Muslim ham with his turkey but leave my nice almost raw steak and Christmas tree alone.

This for me :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Mod

*Hangs head a bit

Now now, Keith.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭flossy1

I am so sick of the do-gooders talking about the benefits of multicultural

look at the court reporting in any local paper ,non national driving

Under the influence of Drink

No tax
    No insurance
    Fake tax disc or insurance etc.

If this happen in U S A. UK
    home they go . In Ireland we listen to some sob-story and let them stay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

You are mistaking me for someone else, i never mentioned British.

Why jump in then? My response (which you quoted) to what was said seemed fairly accurate. Give rights to Nationalities in the order British > Other EU > Non-EU.
    Brits can stay no matter what, EU only if they're currently working and deport everyone else is what was said.

Mod

*Hangs head a bit

Now now, Keith.
    I think it is a very interesting debate Micky. I think the posting of that video has brought a different argument to the table on this topic and it should be discussed that perhaps it isn't the way some people think it is on this island.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I think it is a very interesting debate Micky. I think the posting of that video has brought a different argument to the table on this topic and it should be discussed that perhaps it isn't the way some people think it is on this island.

It is an interesting topic, one you which to steer in your direction. A road we have been down before, many many times and we won't be going there this time.

It is an interesting topic, one you which to steer in your direction. A road we have been down before, many many times and we won't be going there this time.
    Perhaps it is for a different thread. Just a different angle some one else brought up. Fair enough though.

Of course it is. It is a people of a different culture. I think the posting of that video is a good example of what some people are saying.
    Which are the people of a different culture? It's a bunch of idiots going on the rampage in light of a march by a bunch of bigots. How is that multiculturalism? Multiculturalism is when a number of cultures mix long-term, not just for a few hours.

Which are the people of a different culture? It's a bunch of idiots going on the rampage in light of a march by a bunch of bigots. How is that multiculturalism? Multiculturalism is when a number of cultures mix long-term, not just for a few hours.
    Would perhaps be better for a different thread some time. Would make a very interesting discussion in the politics forum. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

Maybe the parades commission should be called in to decide if it is a road that can be marched gone down..:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

Or it's Japan/Korea/China.
    You obviously have no idea how diverse China is and never been to or lived in Korea or Japan either.
    Also, funny how dem taking ar jobz is terrible but them investing is awesome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Multiculturalism is when a number of cultures mix long-term, not just for a few hours.

Sounds like a quote from a Famous 5 story?

There's irrefutable evidence that multi-culturalism does not work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭howtomake

fryup wrote: »
    rolleyes.gif listen ..."what goes around comes around"

the irish can't be complaining about foreign workers look at all the irish living abroad ffs

Well that settles it, since Clareboy doesn't want me here working, paying for taxes & buying stuff in Ireland, I'll just go home, even though I know maybe like 80 Irish friends/acquaintances working in my country at the moment. Clareboy can you come over and help me pack since it seems like you have some extra time on your hands? I'd appreciate it, cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Seems most people don't know, beyond stuffing their bellies and perving.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭goodie2shoes

i've read this thread with interest.
    tbh i'm not totally convinced either way. i can see both pros & cons to multi-culturalism, but i am startled at how (no pun intended) black'n white the issue appears to 99% of posters.

there are certainly benefits to immigration, but there also are real dangers. at least we are having the debate (of sorts).

the pro-immigration/diversity side appear very naive. in every country where mass immigration has happened it has caused major problems, some short-term but many lasting.

yet the pro-immigration side sound very much like those misguided souls who bought property at the height of the bubble. their reasoning is uncannily similar.

"no we're different. it wont happen here. our situation is unique. we are a new country and will show those old colonial powers how to do it properly. we've learnt from those Brits what not to do. thank heaven we're so educated by comparison. after all they read The Daily Mail/TheSun".

yes the very same idealistic "logic" was used to justify gambling on property.

and we all know how that ended .......:(

in every country where mass immigration has happened it has caused major problems
    ... except Ireland.
    "no we're different. it wont happen here. our situation is unique. we are a new country and will show those old colonial powers how to do it properly. we've learnt from those Brits what not to do. thank heaven we're so educated by comparison. after all they read The Daily Mail/TheSun".
    There's more than a stretch of water between them and us, laddie, to quote Michael Collins.

i've read this thread with interest.
    tbh i'm not totally convinced either way. i can see both pros & cons to multi-culturalism, but i am startled at how (no pun intended) black'n white the issue appears to 99% of posters.

there are certainly benefits to immigration, but there also are real dangers. at least we are having the debate (of sorts).

the pro-immigration/diversity side appear very naive. in every country where mass immigration has happened it has caused major problems, some short-term but many lasting.

yet the pro-immigration side sound very much like those misguided souls who bought property at the height of the bubble. their reasoning is uncannily similar.

yes the very same idealistic "logic" was used to justify gambling on property.

and we all know how that ended .......:(

And we are all going to pay for their naivety. All that "your a racist your a racist" for daring to speak out against unfettered immigration will come back to bite us all in the ass.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 444 ✭✭RainbowRose81

Well Ireland doesn't have much of a culture left. In most countries Ireland is known as a place where people drink a lot. Known to be drinkers is hardly inspiring confidence, pride and uniqueness to the world. It's funny how Saint Patrick's day is celebrated still because a lot of Irish people wouldnt be catholic anymore and probably more are atheist.

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    ... except Ireland.

There's more than a stretch of water between them and us, laddie, to quote Michael Collins.

Ah! yes we're so different it aint gonna happen 'ere! LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

And we are all going to pay for their naivety. All that "your a racist your a racist" for daring to speak out against unfettered immigration will come back to bite us all in the ass.

.....we don't have "unfettered immigration". We have free movement with the EU zone, which is rather a different thing.

Well Ireland doesn't have much of a culture left. In most countries Ireland is known as a place where people drink a lot. Known to be drinkers is hardly inspiring confidence, pride and uniqueness to the world. It's funny how Saint Patrick's day is celebrated still because a lot of Irish people wouldnt be catholic anymore and probably more are atheist.

sounds like you've been enjoying a few yourself matey.;)

Nodin wrote: »
    .....we don't have "unfettered immigration". We have free movement with the EU zone, which is rather a different thing.

1 in 6 of the pop. is quite a lot of "free movement".

• Advertisement

Ah! yes we're so different it aint gonna happen 'ere! LOL
    You know what's guaranteed, written in stone going to bring out any latent racist tendencies in a culture? A massive influx of unexpected immigrants of dubious purpose and varying skill over a very short period.

So yeah. We're different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

Sounds like a quote from a Famous 5 story?

There's irrefutable evidence that multi-culturalism does not work.
    Irrefutable eh?
    Oh well... /thread.

1 in 6 of the pop. is quite a lot of "free movement".

It is not, however "unfettered immigration". Non-EU residents can't just wander in etc.

You know what's guaranteed, written in stone going to bring out any latent racist tendencies in a culture? A massive influx of unexpected immigrants of dubious purpose and varying skill over a very short period.

So yeah. We're different.

your 'er logic is a little convoluted i fear.:rolleyes:

Nodin wrote: »
    It is not, however "unfettered immigration". Non-EU residents can't just wander in etc.

1 in 6.
    and that's only those we know about.:eek:

your 'er logic is a little convoluted i fear.:rolleyes:
    Fear all you like, doesn't make the logic any less irrefutable.

Fear all you like, doesn't make the logic any less irrefutable.

it's difficult to refute that which makes no sense.:D

it's difficult to refute that which makes no sense.:D
    Don't mistake a lack of comprehension on your part for a lack of sense.

1 in 6.
    and that's only those we know about.:eek:

...which will more than likely drop over the next few years, given current circumstances.

Don't mistake a lack of comprehension on your part for a lack of sense.

come back to me when you start making sense, and i'll talk to you then.
    nothing personal but it's late.

• Advertisement
Advertisement