Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The New Multicultural Ireland - The Benefits?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

Clareboy wrote: »
    Speaking as a middle aged unemployed Irish male - I am sick of listening to all these do-gooders talking about all the new communities and cultures that have established themselves in Ireland over the past 10 years. What's in it for me? How do I benefit from the New Multicultural Ireland? I would love if someone could tell me! Discuss!

Do middle-aged Irish men tend to think society should only do something if it benefits them personally?

If a Muslim Nigerian black single mother lesbian is more competant at a job then you are then she should be hired over you sweetie pie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

Seachmall wrote: »
    Which of the irrelevant points is relevant to my point?

You claimed that the best person should get the job, regardless of nationality.

Thats fair enough and you are entitled to that view.

If the state was to adopt that stance and allow each and every person on the planet to apply for vacant job opportunities in Ireland, then unemployment would be 90% amongst Irish people. The vast, vast majority of positions in Ireland could be taken up by non EU citizens whom would do them just as efficiently, at a fraction of the wage.

Employment figures would rise and we would have plenty of people working as multinationals would flock here, but very few of the workers would be Irish.

Eventually, Ireland, as we know it, would be no more.

Maglight wrote: »
    In the area of IT? Yes. There is a Europe wide shortage of skilled IT professionals. And as the knowledge economy is the horse we are backing to get Ireland back on track, we need a large number of skilled IT professionals here right now to satisfy the demands of emerging Irish companies, not to mention the huge demand from the multinationals that are locating here. Eastern Europe has a fairly good supply of skilled IT professionals. After that, you are talking Asia.

If there are skill shortages EU wide in certain areas, then of course we should look outside the union to fill these shortages.

Are there shortages in taxi driving, burger flipping, hairdressing, shop assistants, bar staff, and shelf packing? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

IrishAm wrote: »
    Sure it will. Just like the Immigration, Residence and Protection Bill , Immigration, Residence and Protection Bill 2008 , Immigration, Residence and Protections bill 2010 will be passed soon. Very soon. On the way. Any moment now........

....but it is being brought in, so what your malfunction is, is rather hard to determine.

Nodin wrote: »
    ....but it is being brought in, so what your malfunction is, is rather hard to determine.

Well, Nodin, here is my major problem.

The Olympics are being held in London this summer. Minister Shatter has agreed to waive visa requirements for billions of non EU citizens so they can pop over to Ireland if they so wish.

No problem there.

But when you have as many loopholes open as Ireland currently does, it could very well be a major problem.

If I was an organiser of sham marriages, I would be licking my lips at the thoughts of the golden calf presented to me on a plate by the Irish state.

Which, I reiterate, are not illegal in Ireland.

The Olympics are being held in London this summer. Minister Shatter has agreed to waive visa requirements for billions of non EU citizens so they can pop over to Ireland if they so wish.

No problem there.

But when you have as many loopholes open as Ireland currently does, it could very well be a major problem.

If I was an organiser of sham marriages, I would be licking my lips at the thoughts of the golden calf presented to me on a plate by the Irish state.

...somehow I doubt it will be that easy.

...somehow I doubt it will be that easy.

I dont. It is not illegal and the legislation will not be passed by then, making it otherwise.

I predict a spike in PPS numbers issued to non EU citizens.

Fancy a wager?

I predict a spike in PPS numbers issued to non EU citizens.

Fancy a wager?

We'll see.

Considering the largest group affecting the irish jobs market is the EU area, you seem to be rather obsessed.

We'll see.

Considering the largest group affecting the irish jobs market is the EU area, you seem to be rather obsessed.

As the document I posted earlier shows us, the number of non EU citizens working in Ireland has increased, whilst the number of Irish citizens in the workforce has decreased. Considering the economy just fell off a cliff, that is very telling.

There is no point in discussing EU citizens moving to Ireland, as they have every right to, under the EU directives.

I have no real issue with people moving to Ireland, if they go about it in the correct way.

I have a major issue with people using loopholes and scams to get in. Just like the majority of Irish people, I would say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

No problem there.

This is the intellect we have to deal with, BILLIONS of non eu citizens swamping Ireland, Billions , yes thats 1,000,000,000+ people.
    Deluded doesn't begin to describe the poster who came up with that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

lividduck wrote: »
    This is the intellect we have to deal with, BILLIONS of non eu citizens swamping Ireland, Billions , yes thats 1,000,000,000+ people.

Reread his post, and then have a bit of a think about your own intellect, good chap. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Dem fardeners are a great bunch of lads, apart from de shady ones o' course! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Bleeding foreigners, coming over here, taking our jobs in multinational corporations.

Keep American jobs for the Irish, that's what I say!

Which part of "Minister Shatter has waived visa requirements for over a billion non EU citizens" was either false or gave the impression that I thought one billion non EU citizens would arrive en masse in Ireland this summer?:confused:

Bleeding foreigners, coming over here, taking our jobs in multinational corporations.

Keep American jobs for the Irish, that's what I say!

I say open the borders to one and all. Best person for the job and all that.

When we are all in the dole shop, we can give each other a slap on the back and congratulate each other on our self righteousness.

Border controls be racist.:rolleyes:

Which part of "Minister Shatter has waived visa requirements for over a billion non EU citizens" was either false or gave the impression that I thought one billion non EU citizens would arrive en masse in Ireland this summer?:confused:
    Your full quote :

You quite clearly linked the Olympics in London this summer with the potential for BILLIONS of non EU citizens to , and I quote "pop over", not an unusual tactic with those who push your warped agenda. No amount of selective re-quoting of your own post can take away from it's obvious intent.

When we are all in the dole shop, we can give each other a slap on the back and congratulate each other on our self righteousness.

Border controls be racist.:rolleyes:

That's assuming that in general Irish people are pretty crap at most jobs, which seems quite pessimistic to me. We're hardly overrun with skilled foreign workers at the moment, are we?

Many multinationals have been attracted here due to our low corporate tax rate, but also our skilled workforce.

That particular side of global capitalism has benefited this country a great deal, so it seems a bit rich to me to accept some accepts of globalisation but not others.

Also: I don't think anyone's calling for a lack of border restrictions. I've already mentioned how difficult it is for non-EU citizens to legally work and stay here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

I rarely hear people blaming foreign nationals for job displacement. I often hear them blame the politicians whom facilitated it.
    So, they're still blaming other people, gotcha.
    Good for you. Fair play. But I doubt you would be so smug if Ireland had an influx of programmers willing and able to work for a fraction of your wage.

We pretty much do, and I'm still just as 'smug' as I ever was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Tym

Border controls be racist.rolleyes.gif

So, if it came between you and someone non-irish you think you wouldn't get the job as your not the best person for the job.

Um...what do you expect? Do you honestly expect to get handed a job on a silver platter, just because you were born in Ireland?

• Advertisement

That's assuming that in general Irish people are pretty crap at most jobs, which seems quite pessimistic to me.

There are seven billion people in the world. There are circa two million Irish workers. The law of averages would demonstrate that vast swathes of the Irish workforce could easily be replaced cheaply and just as efficiently by non EU workers.
    We're hardly overrun with skilled foreign workers at the moment, are we?

Nope. But menial jobs are being taken up by foreign workers. And as the document I posted earlier suggested, Irish workers are being displaced.
    Many multinationals have been attracted here due to our low corporate tax rate, but also our skilled workforce.

I am well aware of this. Multinationals will continue to attract foreign nationals. Google, for example, require Chinese speakers at present.
    [/I]You quite clearly linked the Olympics in London this summer with the potential for BILLIONS of non EU citizens to , and I quote "pop over", not an unusual tactic with those who push your warped agenda. No amount of selective re-quoting of your own post can take away from it's obvious intent.

No, I posted it to highlight the potential for abuse of loopholes already being widely abused.
    Tym wrote: »
    So, if it came between you and someone non-irish you think you wouldn't get the job as your not the best person for the job.

Um...what do you expect? Do you honestly expect to get handed a job on a silver platter, just because you were born in Ireland?

I am good at my job, yes. Am I the best in the world at my job. No. Could my job and the vast, vast majority of Irish workers jobs be done cheaper and more efficiently by non EU citizens.

At least 90% of them?

Abs-foooooocking-lutely.

There are seven billion people in the world. There are circa two million Irish workers. The law of averages would demonstrate that vast swathes of the Irish workforce could easily be replaced cheaply and just as efficiently by non EU workers.

Nope. But menial jobs are being taken up by foreign workers. And as the document I posted earlier suggested, Irish workers are being displaced.

I am well aware of this. Multinationals will continue to attract foreign nationals. Google, for example, require Chinese speakers at present.

And how many of the 6,998,000,000 people around the world do you think want to come here to work?

Of course some menial jobs are performed by foreign citizens from within the EU, but they're entitled to do those jobs, and there are still quite a few Irish people who retain the Celtic Tiger attitude that they're too good for entry-level jobs.
    I also can't imagine many Irish employers would prefer foreign staff over Irish workers for menial jobs.

Ultimately, we're part of a global economy, for better or worse, and that involves both foreign companies and workers coming here, but I don't think we're in danger of being overrun by foreign workers.

And how many of the 6,998,000,000 people around the world do you think want to come here to work?

Quite a sizeable amount. Recession or no, living standards in Ireland are much, much higher than in the developing world.

Why do you think lads from Pakistan, Nigeria and Bangladesh are so willing to hand over thousands of euro to the organisers of sham marriages?

Leave to remain in a country like Ireland is like a lottery win.

Of course some menial jobs are performed by foreign citizens from within the EU, but they're entitled to do those jobs,

Look, it is pointless discussing EU migration. We signed up to the relevant treaties and must observe their directives.

It is as pointless as complaining about the weather in Ireland.

Anyway, the relevant CSO date has shown us that whilst the number of Irish workers has decreased, the number of non EU citizens working has increased. This would suggest job displacement is common in the labour market.

http://www.cso.ie/en/media/csoie/releasespublications/documents/labourmarket/2011/qnhs_q42011.pdf

and there are still quite a few Irish people who retain the Celtic Tiger attitude that they're too good for entry-level jobs.

I find it hard to believe, with such a high unemployment rate and with student fees on the rise, that students and the unemployed turn up their nose at menial work.
    I also can't imagine many Irish employers would prefer foreign staff over Irish workers for menial jobs.

There are a variety of reasons. Not aware of their rights, for one.
    but I don't think we're in danger of being overrun by foreign workers.

Our foreign born population rising from 2 per cent in 2001 to 17 per cent to 2012 would say different.

Quite a sizeable amount. Recession or no, living standards in Ireland are much, much higher than in the developing world.

Why do you think lads from Pakistan, Nigeria and Bangladesh are so willing to hand over thousands of euro to the organisers of sham marriages?

Leave to remain in a country like Ireland is like a lottery win.

Look, it is pointless discussing EU migration. We signed up to the relevant treaties and must observe their directives.

It is as pointless as complaining about the weather in Ireland.

Anyway, the relevant CSO date has shown us that whilst the number of Irish workers has decreased, the number of non EU citizens working has increased. This would suggest job displacement is common in the labour market.

http://www.cso.ie/en/media/csoie/releasespublications/documents/labourmarket/2011/qnhs_q42011.pdf

I find it hard to believe, with such a high unemployment rate and with student fees on the rise, that students and the unemployed turn up their nose at menial work.

There are a variety of reasons. Not aware of their rights, for one.

Our foreign born population rising from 2 per cent in 2001 to 17 per cent to 2012 would say different.

If people from all over the world were dying to come here, it wouldn't matter as legally, people from outside the EU have to be skilled in areas we're lacking in to come here. Of course there's always going to be a few people who come here illegally and work illegally for peanuts, but we're not going to be overrun by these illegals. And even if the number of illegal workers did increase exponentionally, you can bet the government would crack down on it.

17% is still a pretty small percentage, and I don't think the rate will continue to increase at that rate given our economic situation.
    If it were up to 33% at the next census it might be time for the government to look at putting measures in place to protect Irish workers, but I'm sure no government would ever let such a situation happen, due to the backlash it would cause.

17% is still a pretty small percentage, and I don't think the rate will continue to increase at that rate given our economic situation.

If it is so small, show me another example of a western country, post world war two, whose foreign population rose from 2% to 17% in a decade. :)

The rest of your post is extremely naive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

• Advertisement

If it is so small, show me another example of a western country, post world war two, whose foreign population rose from 2% to 17% in a decade. :)

I don't see what that would prove: I agree that it's a sharp rise, but I don't think it's going to continue to increase at that rate as fewer jobs are available to migrants and the country's a less-attractive place to come to.

Obviously the country's always going to be more attractive than other countries to some migrants as we speak English and still have a relatively high standard of living, but I don't think we're going to be overrun by foreign people.

I'll concede that when we're living in an Islamic fundamentalist dystopia.

Of course I'll have to post that concession on ي المجالس.

Your rantings are particularly poignant bearing in mind Anders Brevik went on trial today, another one with an obession about non eu immigration.

Your rantings are particularly poignant bearing in mind Anders Brevik went on trial today, another one with an obession about non eu immigration.

Nice one. Thank you for comparing me to a mass murder.

Nice attempt at smearing me.

:)

I don't see what that would prove: I agree that it's a sharp rise

It will prove that no other country(on a per capita basis), post world war two, has absorbed the number of immigrants that Ireland has. None. Absolutely none.
    but I don't think it's going to continue to increase at that rate as fewer jobs are available to migrants and the country's a less-attractive place to come to.

I am scratching my head here and wondering have you actually bothered to view the document I posted. The number is continuing to increase, not decrease. So that 17% continues to rise too.

I'll concede that when we're living in an Islamic fundamentalist dystopia.

Of course I'll have to post that concession on ي المجالس.

Never happen. We love our rashers and beer too much. :)

Nice one. Thank you for comparing me to a mass murder.

Nice attempt at smearing me.

:)
    I didn't compare you to anyone, I compared your stated agendas.

• Advertisement

It will prove that no other country(on a per capita basis), post world war two, has absorbed the number of immigrants that Ireland has. None. Absolutely none.

I am scratching my head here and wondering have you actually bothered to view the document I posted. The number is continuing to increase, not decrease. So that 17% continues to rise too.

And I don't think it's going to continue to increase, just because it's increasing at the moment. I think it'll level off at a manageable level. Of course that's hard to prove, so I'll just agree to disagree.

Not that you're being hysterical, or anything.

And I don't think it's going to continue to increase, just because it's increasing at the moment. I think it'll level off at a manageable level. Of course that's hard to prove, so I'll just agree to disagree.

So, you agree that Ireland is a very attractive place to an awful lot of people, yet expect the numbers coming here to level off.

Bit of a paradox there, bud.

So, you agree that Ireland is a very attractive place to an awful lot of people, yet expect the numbers coming here to level off.

Bit of a paradox there, bud.

Not to me, because it's becoming a less-attractive place overall, if still attractive at the moment compared to other options, and there's only a limited number of jobs available (and enough Irish employers who'd prefer Irish workers) so I don't see the rate of immigrants seeking work continuing to rise.

Lads, we, the right thinking, high minded thought leaders in this country must take our abhorrence towards any hint of xenophobia to the most illogical extreme, even if it means f**king ourselves over.

We hear the cry of "Irish jobs for irish people" appearing rational to the masses at a time when our economy is dying on its arse and half the place is on the dole. Because, to those that can't see the greater good like us, it is rational.

But even in times like these, ESPECIALLY, in times like these brothers, we must ensure that multiculturalism remains our sacred cow even if it is also the white elephant that ruins us all. To even question this would see us slide into fascism and mass murder. We know best even when we're riding everyone to hell in a hand cart with the map upside down.

Now somebody post some more south park videos to counter this Irisham fookers most salient points :)

Not to me, because it's becoming a less-attractive place overall, if still attractive at the moment compared to other options, and there's only a limited number of jobs available (and enough Irish employers who'd prefer Irish workers) so I don't see the rate of immigrants seeking work continuing to rise.

The non Irish numbers in our workforce increased by 20,000 last year while Irish nationals overall lost 17,100 jobs in the same period.

The stats from the CSO show us that that in 2011 eastern european citizens had the highest likelihood of gaining employment in Ireland, with non EU citizens in second place. Irish citizens had the highest likelihood of losing employment and also the highest likelihood of emigrating. There are plenty of jobs available in Ireland right now, but the stats show us that Irish citizens are the least likely to get them! Ergo, that 17 % figure continues to rise. And rise it shall.

So much for just levelling off, eh?

Back to the my first post on this thread, what is the purpose of the Irish state, if it not to look after the interests of the Irish people?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,341 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Bambi wrote: »
    But even in times like these, ESPECIALLY, in times like these brothers, we must ensure that multiculturalism remains our sacred cow even if it is also the white elephant that ruins us all. To even question this would see us slide into fascism and mass murder. We know best even when we're riding everyone to hell in a hand cart with the map upside down.

The second someone starts using the phrase "brothers" i get scared.

The non Irish numbers in our workforce increased by 20,000 last year while Irish nationals overall lost 17,100 jobs in the same period.

The stats from the CSO show us that that in 2011 eastern european citizens had the highest likelihood of gaining employment in Ireland, with non EU citizens in second place. Irish citizens had the highest likelihood of losing employment and also the highest likelihood of emigrating. There are plenty of jobs available in Ireland right now, but the stats show us that Irish citizens are the least likely to get them! Ergo, that 17 % figure continues to rise. And rise it shall.

So much for just levelling off, eh?

Why assume it'll continue to increase? How do you know Irish people aren't getting new jobs because they're overqualified for them and not even bothering to apply. Or in industries like engineering and IT where we're lacking in skilled workers and having to import workers?

Most Irish people are emigrating because there aren't jobs they're qualified for here. Would you rather they stayed here in entry-level jobs?

It doesn't mean that employers are deliberately choosing non-Irish workers for some reason, and it doesn't mean that this pattern is going to continue. I can't see any government willing to risk unpopularity by providing a huge number of jobs to non-nationals.[/QUOTE]
    Back to the my first post on this thread, what is the purpose of the Irish state, if it not to look after the interests of the Irish people?

Corporations are people too. If Irish or Irish-based companies benefit from skilled foreign workers, then the economy benefits, and the Irish people benefit.

Why assume it'll continue to increase?

Why just assume that it will "level" off when all the evidence points to the contrary?

Where you not the chap on the transsexual thread pouring scorn on some lad for not accepting the facts and figures?:)

It will only level off when legislation is passed to make it level off. Legislation, that will be met with screeches of racism by some of the 200 immigration quangos currently operating in the Irish state.

There is no point in making it difficult for non EU citizens to obtain work visas, when, at the same time, there are countless numbers of other loopholes open, to get into the country.

How do you know Irish people aren't getting new jobs because they're overqualified for them and not even bothering to apply.

Do you not remember the RTE news story last Christmas when they interviewed Irish people from all walks of life applying for seasonal work in the likes of Argos?

This "the Irish are too lazy/unemployable/dont apply" is a myth. A rather disgusting one at that and one continually repeated with no shred of proof.

I can't see any government willing to risk unpopularity by providing a huge number of jobs to non-nationals.

To go against the multicultural mantra is modern day heresy. This thread is test-amount to that.

To go against the multicultural mantra is modern day heresy. This thread is test-amount to that.

What's multi culturalism got to do with employment figures?

• Advertisement

What's multi culturalism got to do with employment figures?

In Ireland, multiculturalism and immigration are entwined by the media, politicans, social commentators, immigration quangos and the general populace. When discussing one, invariably the other comes up.

EDIT- Do you ever post your own opinions, or just continually ask questions?:confused:

You have questioned me dozens of times on this thread, without giving your opinion.

In Ireland, multiculturalism and immigration are entwined by the media, politicans, social commentators, immigration quangos and the general populace. When discussing one, invariably the other comes up.

I didn't ask about the media, politicians, commentators, immigration quangos and the general populace. I asked you what multiculturalism has to do with employment figures, because you're the one bringing the two together here.

I didn't ask about the media, politicians, commentators, immigration quangos and the general populace. I asked you what multiculturalism has to do with employment figures, because you're the one bringing the two together here.

Multiculturalism in Ireland is a by product of mass immigration from the four corners of the globe.

It has everything to do with the unemployment statistics when, as I have shown, Irish citizens are behind accession state and non EU citizens in the employment pecking order.

Multiculturalism in Ireland is a by product of mass immigration from the four corners of the globe.

It has everything to do with the unemployment statistics when, as I have shown, Irish citizens are behind accession state and non EU citizens in the employment pecking order.

....dear me. Lets try this from the top - if multiculturalism was abolished tommorrow it would make no difference whatsoever to the employment figures. I'd suggest you go off and take a look at what multiculturalism actually means.

....dear me. Lets try this from the top - if multiculturalism was abolished tommorrow it would make no difference whatsoever to the employment figures. I'd suggest you go off and take a look at what multiculturalism actually means.

I know what it means. Definitions vary country by country. France and the US of A both have differing definitions of the world. In Ireland, for an example, a multicultural school is nicely phrased way of describing one with high numbers of immigrant or second generation immigrant pupils. In the US, it means something different again. France too.

I know what it means. ..........

Then why are you talking about it in the same breath as employment figures?

Why just assume that it will "level" off when all the evidence points to the contrary?

Where you not the chap on the transsexual thread pouring scorn on some lad for not accepting the facts and figures?:)

I accept the facts and the figures but I disagree with your projection about how they'll develop in the future.

I think there are too many powerful forces, mostly political, with an interest in not letting the numbers of immigrants get very high, and I think economic recovery will see fewer Irish people emigrating and therefore being employed at home.

I think there are too many powerful forces, mostly political, with an interest in not letting the numbers of immigrants get very high, and I think economic recovery will see fewer Irish people emigrating and therefore being employed at home.

It already is high. It went from 2-17% in a decade. No other nation has experienced such a dramatic change in their foreign born population since world war 2.

None.

Its never happened in modern times before.

I have shown you that the figures continue to rise.

You somehow think this will just suddenly stop even though the evidence points to the contrary.

Amazing.

Simply amazing.

Whom are these powerful political voices you speak of and how come they remained silent for the past decade?:confused:

Why assume it'll continue to increase?

Why not trot out the previous classic from this line of thinking?
    "When economy slows down they'll all go back home"

:pac:

• Advertisement

Bambi wrote: »
    Why not trot out the previous classic from this line of thinking?
    "When economy slows down they'll all go back home"

Are you going to tell me what the relationship between multiculturalism and employment figures are?

Advertisement