Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lumen light output on Bulbs

Options
  • 29-03-2012 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭

Am asking this on behalf of my husband. We had a light out in the front with a 70watt SON lamp in it but he has moved it to the back

now we have a post lantern at the front of the house that uses a normal 2 pin BC lamp and there is no gear/ballast in it. Now he's tried a 60watt and 100watt bulb in it but its not really bright for the area, not as bright as the 70watt son. He dont want to by another SON floodlight for the front but wants to get a brighter lamp for the column light.

The head on the lamppost is large and made of glass and metal so there shouldnt be any issue of overheating with a larger bulb. He has done a bit of research and says a 70w SON lamp is supposed to give out 6,000 Lumens and he says that there is a mercury vapour lamp called Blended lamp and it works straight off the mains with no gear / ballast /ignitor needed and its 160watt standard 2 pin BC which will fit into the light column with no problem, the only thing is that he cannot find out how many Lumens a 160watt blended mercury lamp outputs and asked me to ask on here to see if an electrician or anyone knows if the light output from a 160watt blended lamp will give out the same amount of lamp as the 70watt SON or more or less? many thanks in advance for any info.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭paddymick

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

paddymick wrote: »

Thanks for that paddymick will pass those details onto hubby.

Right hubby went for a 160w Mercury Blended lamp (no gear required) and has it working in the fitting, most of the time its alight OK but a couple of time he noticed the light extinguished alltogether then carried on looking at it and was flickering then eventually started up stayed lit for quite a while then went out and same thing again - then he reckons another time he monitored it over an hour and it stayed lit. Could it be an overheating issue he is asking? the head of the fitting is large but he remembers a sticker when we bought the lighting column saying 100w max Incadescent bulb he thinks.

If it is overheating then he said he might put a 80w SON(i) lamp with ballast and capacitor which will give out more light than the 160w mercury blended. He has a cap but no 70w son magnetic ballast, Priced up a 70w son Ballast at an electrical shop at 25euro is that about the normal price for one? Thanks any info I will pass it onto him.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

make sure there is a porclain lampholder used with that lamp or atleast a lamp holder rated for the wattage.
    25 euro is about right for a 70watt son ballast, there are a few types out there, some that only do son, some that do son and metal halide and some that do son and mercury.
    A 70 watt son ballast and a son I lamp is prob the best and cheapest way forward, personally id go for 70 watt metal halide but you would need an ignitor aswell as the cap and ballast. i think there is a crisper brighter light from the metal halide but thats my opinion.
    a porcalain lamp holder is about a fiver and an ignitor to suit is about 15 euro.

make sure there is a porclain lampholder used with that lamp or atleast a lamp holder rated for the wattage.
    25 euro is about right for a 70watt son ballast, there are a few types out there, some that only do son, some that do son and metal halide and some that do son and mercury.
    A 70 watt son ballast and a son I lamp is prob the best and cheapest way forward, personally id go for 70 watt metal halide but you would need an ignitor aswell as the cap and ballast. i think there is a crisper brighter light from the metal halide but thats my opinion.
    a porcalain lamp holder is about a fiver and an ignitor to suit is about 15 euro.

Thanks for all that info indie armada. Have told himself what you posted and he said its in a bakelite kind of lamp holder and the bulb its upright (cap down) in the fitting so the heat it rising from the lampholder. If he does change it at all it would be with a son lamp because he prefers the orange yellow light for the front of the house rather than a crisp white light the MH gives. I think thats hat he said for me to reply back again many thanks for taking the time to write back with the info. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement