Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bands you used to dislike...

Options
  • 29-03-2012 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

.. but you're now a fan of. Tool and Judas Priest were two bands that I couldn't see what the fuss was about but now I'm a big fan of both.

You guys/gals?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Radiohead. I used to really dislike them but they're one of my favourite bands now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

I used to dislike The Smashing Pumpkins because of Billy's voice but now they're like one of the greatest bands to ever exist. At least in their original incarnation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Radiohead and Green Day spring to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

My Bloody Valentine.
    I thought they were shoegazey ****, until I listened to Loveless recently, and realised IT'S VAIR NICE.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭icarus86

When i was younger i never liked Pearl Jam, i just could not "get" them but they are one of my favourite bands now.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭vider12

Th Editors..though I'm finding i kinda like them more than i did!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭GowlBag

Exactly like you OP I didn't think much of Tool but now I love 'em!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I don't think I've ever gone from disliking a band to liking them. I've definitely gone the opposite way though. Usually if I don't like a band then I'm not going to listen to them so there won't be an opportunity for them to get me to change my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

A lot of metal bands... Wasn't into what I perceived as metal-for-the-sake-of-metal, being angry to just appear like you're being angry or whatever... then I realised I was listening to the wrong kind of metal bands and got into some good ones. Pantera and Mayhem spring to mind, while still very over-the-top in ways, I found some stuff in their really interesting. Dimebag Darrel's playing was the thing that stuck out most for me.

Same goes for noise music, like Merzbow. "What's the point of just making music that's difficult to listen to?", till I listened to it LOUD, and completely got it. Rather than usual kinda musical listening, I think noise is more about enjoying the way completely abstact noise makes you feel or react or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,084 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Coldplay would be a good example for me. In the beginning I couldn't stand Chris Martin's voice. Not that I am a big fan now, but I do listen to them.

• Advertisement

Irish Aris wrote: »
    Coldplay would be a good example for me. In the beginning I couldn't stand Chris Martin's voice. Not that I am a big fan now, but I do listen to them.

They're one of those bands who are really easy to dislike... First two albums are fantastic though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭CountryJoe

I was not mad into Kraftwerk when I first listened to them, but it grew on me after a while, cant get enough of them now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

The Grateful Dead. I first heard them in 1987 and thought they were rubbish. Gradually got sucked in during 1993/94.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Wouldn't say I disliked them, but I never really got the hype about the Beatles until I heard their later stuff

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,528 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Blur. Mainly due to the whole Oasis v Blur thing. But I'm listening to all of their stuff and they were a scarily talented band (for what they were)

Namlub wrote: »
    Wouldn't say I disliked them, but I never really got the hype about the Beatles until I heard their later stuff

I'm with you there!

"Pfft, Beatles, pop songs about love so what?"
    "Hey rcaz, this is the White Album, this is Abbey Road, and here's Revolver. Have a listen."

349.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 883 ✭✭✭moe_sizlak

take that

in the nineties they were only slightly less abhorent than westlife were throughout thier career

now , they are a respectable band who men can appreciate

moe_sizlak wrote: »
    take that

in the nineties they were only slightly less abhorent than westlife were throughout thier career

now , they are a respectable band who men can appreciate

+1

Though I would have to admit (I was wrong) Take That are and always will be a boyband. Having said that they are a great boyband unlike backstreet boys, wanted, one direction, n*sync, mcfly etc etc.

A great, great pop song is difficult to come by and indeed a very hard thing to craft but Take That are one of the pop acts who can do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Didn't like The Smiths as a teenager, didn't warm to Morrissey's voice and I was really into big guitar solos and stuff so Marr didn't appeal to me either.
    Sweet Jesus was I wrong on that one.

Also was underwhelmed by Bob Dylan around the same time, mostly because I was familiar with the songs he had written that were covered by big-guitar-solos-and-stuff-type bands so his original versions seemed to pale in comparison Again, very wrong.

Didn't like The Clash except for 'London Calling' (the song, that is). Some repeated listening to the album and I totally fell in love.

Didn't like Daft Punk until I heard 'Aerodynamic' and then became very interested.

Loved the original Fleetwood Mac, hated the later post-Peter Green Fleetwood Mac. Now love both!

Also The Velvet Underground, Neutral Milk Hotel, The Rolling Stones (bar a few hits) and Violent Femmes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭realgirl

+1 for take that, hated them in the 90s, paid €90 to see them in croke park last summer!

Also +1 for the cure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

I'm still a fiend for dismissing band that I reckon I won't like. Generally they're the ones that are plastered all over the airwaves.
    Only recently listened to Foster the People and The Naked and Famous, and found I really enjoy them.

I still haven't listened to or found out the difference between The Blizzards, The Arctic Monkeys and Snow Patrol. Maybe someday...

One of my biggest changes in taste was the entire genre of Hip Hop. Couldn't stand the stuff when I was a young metal head, as all I was exposed to was Eminem, Dr Dre, Snoop Dogg, 50 Cent and Biggy.
    Now though, I love it, some gansta rap (Wu Tang, NWA, NAS, Mobb Deep) but mostly other more alternative hip hop (A tribe called Quest, Blackalicious, De La Soul, Deltron 3030, Heiroglyphics, Gang Starr, Jurassic 5, Kid Cudi, Doomtree)

Two that really stand out though, were Bob Dylan and the Beatles. I could not fathom how anyone could enjoy their music. Bobby was just whingy and played a grandpa's guitar, and the beatles were like a 60's boy band.
    But then someone advised me to listen to Highway 61 Revisited and The White Album.

So glad they did.

Varkov wrote: »
    But then someone advised me to listen to Highway 61 Revisited and The White Album.

So glad they did.

I should listen to this record by Dylan. I am still trying to get into his music and have so far been vastly unimpressed, Slow Train Coming particularly was quite a big let down.

I did always enjoy the (overrated) Beatles' later albums certainly the White Album but I can certainly see from their early material how they may be conceived as a "60s boy band".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

Autechre. Not a band. I used to think it was just a load of ****ing noise. It is, but it's really good ****ing noise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

The Brian Jonestown Massacre were a band that I could never get into for a while. Just something about their music isn't very immediate, and it takes a few listens, I think. First time I heard them, I brushed it off as boring, but then their songs kept coming up on shuffle on my iPod, and the more I heard them, the more I loved them. One of my favourite bands now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭gordon_gekko

Sinfonia wrote: »
    Didn't like The Smiths as a teenager, didn't warm to Morrissey's voice and I was really into big guitar solos and stuff so Marr didn't appeal to me either.
    Sweet Jesus was I wrong on that one.

Also was underwhelmed by Bob Dylan around the same time, mostly because I was familiar with the songs he had written that were covered by big-guitar-solos-and-stuff-type bands so his original versions seemed to pale in comparison Again, very wrong.

Didn't like The Clash except for 'London Calling' (the song, that is). Some repeated listening to the album and I totally fell in love.

Didn't like Daft Punk until I heard 'Aerodynamic' and then became very interested.

Loved the original Fleetwood Mac, hated the later post-Peter Green Fleetwood Mac. Now love both!

Also The Velvet Underground, Neutral Milk Hotel, The Rolling Stones (bar a few hits) and Violent Femmes.

fleetwood mac were always underated IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

fleetwood mac were always underated IMO

Tusk. One of the greatest albums ever.

I hated the smiths and guns n roses for years

Then one day it just clicked with the smiths and I love them now

And luckily for me my friends were always putting on this guns n roses dvd live from tokyo around 1992. Blew me away and havent looked back with them either

Varkov wrote: »
    One of my biggest changes in taste was the entire genre of Hip Hop. Couldn't stand the stuff when I was a young metal head, as all I was exposed to was Eminem, Dr Dre, Snoop Dogg, 50 Cent and Biggy.
    Now though, I love it, some gansta rap (Wu Tang, NWA, NAS, Mobb Deep) but mostly other more alternative hip hop (A tribe called Quest, Blackalicious, De La Soul, Deltron 3030, Heiroglyphics, Gang Starr, Jurassic 5, Kid Cudi, Doomtree)

I don't know much of Dre's solo stuff, and I don't know any 50 Cent, but go back and listen to Eminem and Snoop Dogg, two ****ing incredible rappers.

Eminem's writing and delivery on this tune give me chills every single time. Cool to think about how it was such a huge song and still didn't compromise any darkness or how cutting and aggressive it is. And the rhymes are just slick. Entire verses on the same vowel. Master at work. (See also Lose Yourself)

And Biggy, the third verse in this is unreal, "Money hoes and clothes, blunt smoke comin' out the nose is all a nigga knows, flippin' on foes, puttin' tags on toes...", so good! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

rcaz wrote: »
    A lot of metal bands... Wasn't into what I perceived as metal-for-the-sake-of-metal, being angry to just appear like you're being angry or whatever... then I realised I was listening to the wrong kind of metal bands and got into some good ones. Pantera and Mayhem spring to mind, while still very over-the-top in ways, I found some stuff in their really interesting. Dimebag Darrel's playing was the thing that stuck out most for me.

Do you enjoy the "slower" Metal genres?

I avoided Metal for years but bands like Electric Wizard and Weedeater really click with me.

• Advertisement

smokedeels wrote: »
    Do you enjoy the "slower" Metal genres?

I avoided Metal for years but bands like Electric Wizard and Weedeater really click with me.

I like a bit of Black Sabbath, they're supposed to have started the Doom Metal thing aren't they?

I've listened to a bit of Sunn O))), wasn't that into it. I like what Boris stuff I've heard. I find Mogwai a bit boring. Am I talking the right language here? :pac:

Advertisement