Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atec Maxim

Options
  • 29-03-2012 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭

I know yet another thread about my rifle :rolleyes:

Anyway whilst buying a bi-pod ( I went with a harris ultralight) in stakelums I had a look at the moderators he had to offer.

I wanted to stay away from Atec as although they are very light, they increase the length of the rifle quite a bit and supposedly are prone to gas cutting.

he showed me a different model from Atec, the Maxim which is a reflex model made from aluminium but some baffles are stainless to help prolong its life.

Had it on the rifle and felt very balanced plus it can all be taken apart for cleaning and replacement baffles can be purchased.

Anybody have any experience with them? I'm gonna buy one shortly but said I'd check here for horror stories first! :p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

If you are looking for a light moderator that will give you good recoil and noise reduction and add little overall length to your rifle, go for a Sonic 45. They are relatively uncommon here, but John Lambert is selling them like hotcakes.

I have one on my 30-06 Tikka and it is far better than any other mod I've encountered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

ya i remember u mentioing them before, how much are they?

Are they aluminium or steel or a mixture of both? can they be taken apart??

And what weight are they? sorry for all the questions!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

Here's a link to the site: http://www.nielsengunparts.com/shop/cms-1.html

They are fully stripable for cleaning and all. Couldn't tell you how much they are. I bought mine with a few things together and can't remember what it came to. Give John a ring and he will tell you all you need to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

The sonic 45 weighs 480g
    A tec maxim weighs 370g and extends barrel length by 115mm
    A tex cmm4 weighs 220g and extends barrel length by 160 mm

My pick for a hunting rifle would be the cmm4

Not gone on the cmm4, being all alluminium is great for lightweight but a balance needs to be found.

Fella I know had one on his .243 and it was starting to wear away the baffles. And 25-06 in a short barrel would be harder on it again.

The maxim seems perfect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭DR6.5

I use the cmm4 on a 25-06 tikka with a 20" barrell, used for the last two seasons cant fault it, for stalking it is ideal, theres a bit of wear on the baffles but still working good.

Another couple of lads i stalk with use them on 25-06 and .270 they rate them as well.

Realised today that I had money owed to me that i forgot about!

Off I went back to Stakelums to buy the Atec Maxim :cool: Fired a few shots out of it today and was happy with it...

Although I was wearing ear muffs as I always wear them when I can nowadays so don't really have a verdict yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Hey patsat any stronger opinions on the maxim after owning it for a while?

Vegeta wrote: »
    Hey patsat any stronger opinions on the maxim after owning it for a while?

Short answer is I love it!

I have it on a 25-06 and compared to the northstar i had on .270 it is less effective.

Whilst it may not be as good as other mods at reducing sound and recoil, it is good enough to stop my ears ringing for a week everytime I fire it and I can shoot very well with it.

But being considerably lighter than others mods means it's a must for a lightweight stalking rig as it's the perfect compromise between lightweight and durable.

And for those put off by the mod being slightly less effective, extra baffles can be purchased an fitted to the mod.

It is very easy clean as it all screws apart although it says it requires no maintenance, only thing to watch for is that due to the aluminium shell it is very prone to over heating but this will not be a problem on a stalking/fixing rig.

Advertisement