Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to pass time at work?

• 29-03-2012 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭

So I work in a factory, doing the same repetitive job all day. We have the radio playing, and that's about it. No phones, or ipods allowed. It is automated work, standing in front of a machine.

It is unbelievably boring, does anybody have any interesting ways to pass the time?

Sometimes we play I-spy, other times noughts and crosses (we have to wait for dust to form on the machine first).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Cut a hole in the bottom of your pocket..

and fumble the day away!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Compare willies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Guess the amount of times the DJ will say a certain word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Do some work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Working

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Do something constructive (like the job you're being paid to do?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

thinking of ways to pass time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Eat your watch . . . .

Wait for time to pass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

irish-stew wrote: »
    Do some work?
    Do something constructive (like the job you're being paid to do?)

Who actually works in work? Not me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

Just say that you're very upset and you don't feel well. Then go and sit on the toilet for the entirety of your shift spending the time fapping/listening to music/crapping/playing on your phone :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Time how long you can hold your breath for and try to better it again again and again.......

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

Well the work is done, but it could be done by a trained monkey. It involves no use of your head.

The guessing what word the DJ will say next could be a good one :) We often try and guess what song will be played next, or how many times the "new one from Katy Perry" will be played in the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭some random drunk

Cian92 wrote: »
    So I work in a factory, doing the same repetitive job all day. We have the radio playing, and that's about it. No phones, or ipods allowed. It is automated work, standing in front of a machine.

It is unbelievably boring, does anybody have any interesting ways to pass the time?

Sometimes we play I-spy, other times noughts and crosses (we have to wait for dust to form on the machine first).

What kind of holiday camp is this?! In my old office job we worked in silence, not even allowed to talk to each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

If you have swivel chairs, race your colleagues.. or play jousts with them, with brushes for lances, then you can turn it into the Fun Factory

Or have a rave

Factories love Raves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Aim to get your Posts count to 10k by end of April

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

What kind of holiday camp is this?! In my old office job we worked in silence, not even allowed to talk to each other.

Not true, we just didn't like you very much... We chatted when you went out of the room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Try to think of ways you can get yourself a better job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭Vandy West

If the radio has a cd buy a audio book to learn german. Can curse your current boss right in front of him and should be handy in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

name game

Start with letter A and everyone name a band

Abba
    The Beatles
    Coldplay
    .....and so on

You can't just make things up, someone else needs to back you up for obscure bands

A good game can last the morning
    Switch to films in the afternoon

I too worked as an assembly line monkey on a factory floor and this kept me and the lads from going insane with the repetitive work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Vandy West wrote: »
    If the radio has a cd buy a audio book to learn german. Can curse your current boss right in front of him and should be handy in the future.

Or buy a stereo and then burn a cd with various loud explosion noises that play on a loop and turn volume up high.

• Advertisement

Do you have a warehouse?

Formula One with the forklifts :cool:

Ready, set, three laps of the warehouse and twice around the yard, GO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

If i get bored in work i spend some time imagining what I would say if I was being interviewed on Sky Sports after scoring the winning goal in the Champions League final.

jesus................

Light cigarettes and roll them under someone elses desk, blame each other, who ever has to pay the fine, loses .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

Put tomatoes in the microwave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

mikemac1 wrote: »
    name game

Start with letter A and everyone name a band

Abba
    The Beatles
    Coldplay
    .....and so on

You can't just make things up, someone else needs to back you up for obscure bands

A good game can last the morning
    Switch to films in the afternoon

I too worked as an assembly line monkey on a factory floor and this kept me and the lads from going insane with the repetitive work

There's loads of "round the table" games like this; someone starts a story and makes up 2 or 3 lines and the next person continues it and so on, or someone says a sentence and everyone has to add a rhyming sentence etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

Go to the bog and sniff a few lines of charley and laugh your tits off for the rest of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

The anally retentive responses suggesting to 'do some work'..blah blah are inspiring to say the least:pac:. No, I mean that..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭jos28

If you are working with non-Irish people, get them to teach you a new language (a genuine language, not just rude words)

Just go dossing OP

If something goes then blame the guy who can't speak English
    Ah Tibor, how many times have you saved my butt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Footballer name game:

Name a footballer eg. Wayne Rooney, next person has to name a footballer begining with first letter of surname R so Ryan Giggs next person G and so on, can't rename a footballer

This can be done with others too like actors or politicians or whatever.
    Can also do animals by just using the last letter of the animal Cow Walrus Seal Lion etc etc

One two guys in my works used to play, i never bothered as was **** at films:
    Name two actors, you have to connect them by linking through films for example. Catherine Zeta Jones and Tom Hanks, Catherine was in Oceans 12 with Julia Roberts who was in Charlies Wilsons war with Tom Hanks. When they used to do it they could have linked through 10 films or so, but you could give it a go anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭starch4ser

sniff each others bums

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

I don't work, but I do sit at my desk a lot during the day. I spend a lot of my time on the piss, doing little doodles (Batemanesque) and reading thrashy novels, making endless cups of coffee and throwing stuff around the room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

cruizer101 wrote: »
    One two guys in my works used to play, i never bothered as was **** at films:
    Name two actors, you have to connect them by linking through films for example. Catherine Zeta Jones and Tom Hanks, Catherine was in Oceans 12 with Julia Roberts who was in Charlies Wilsons war with Tom Hanks. When they used to do it they could have linked through 10 films or so, but you could give it a go anyway.
    We used to play that in school.
    We had to make one rule to make the game challenging; you can't use Samuel L Jackson.

That guys been in a movie with every actor ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

I don't work, but I do sit at my desk a lot during the day. I spend a lot of my time on the piss, doing little doodles (Batemanesque) and reading thrashy novels, making endless cups of coffee and throwing stuff around the room.

What kinda stuff did you throw around the room? :eek: Did people have to duck?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭Akarinn

Learn the names of games....
    noughts and crosses

????? dafuq is this ****??

X's and O's!!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

What kinda stuff did you throw around the room? :eek: Did people have to duck?

Eh, there's nobody else in the room. My
    desk is in my attic. It's my office, but I don't do any actually work in there. Oh and I tend to throw cum st the walls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭knowit12

i pitty you :( I taught my job was boring :/

ask for more productive work or get a new job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Cian92 wrote: »

So your job is basically to stand?

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ComfyKnickers

Erm, I go on Boards and Facebook :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

foxyboxer wrote: »
    So your job is basically to stand?

In an nut shell, place item in machine, repeat 300 times an hour, repeat 8 hours a day...

Today we started singing Christmas songs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

Try and name all 32 counties in Ireland, all 50 states in the US, all 92 English football league clubs.

The possibilities are endless really :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

We used to race pallet trucks around like a skateboard.

Basically stand on the left prong and get some speed up with your right foot just like a skateboard.

You can use the steering wheel to obviously steer.
    If you build up enough speed and turn fast the wheels should also rip up the floor.

Don't forget to launch your work colleague into some sort of triangular display of paint or something along those lines.

and get paid for it........

awesome times.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

I just sit in my seat, listen to the radio and look out the windows non stop. There's a great view from my office most of time. It's bit noisy though. So I wear a ear protection also cool sunglasses. I'm not allowed to leave my seat while I'm working so it can get quite uncomfortable. Even though it can be a dangerous job I'm really badly paid. It's a bit repetitive with lots of ups and downs but I rarely get bored. So I don't need to play games to stay interested.

There are worse jobs let me tell you. I've had a few.
    We used to race pallet trucks around like a skateboard.
    I used to race up and down nearly empty containers on a pallet truck. The idea is to swerve at the last second before you flew out the door. Even better the noise inside the container was incredible like a jet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

build robots to replace ye :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,037 ✭✭✭✭bnt

300 times an hour = every 12 seconds? Ouch! Long enough to drive you nuts, but too short to do much while you wait.

Are you allowed pen and paper? Get some cheap notebooks and pens, and write in between. Write whatever comes in to your head. Make up stories, characters, events, disasters, whatever. After a few months, you'll have enough raw material to let you start writing a book.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭wardy2

see how many times can you piss off the boss

Advertisement