Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Its bad that waterford city doesnt have a super pub in the city centre

Options
  • 29-03-2012 10:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭

Most towns have one these days, carlow , kilkenny would put waterford city to shame in ths area and they arent even cities

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sunflower3

As per wikipedia -

In 2009 the City of Kilkenny celebrated its 400th year since the granting of city status in 1609.

;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Ah jesus can we avoid the whole city debate again please? Thanks. Its head wrecking. Who gives a fly.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

No tbh. Super pubs are sh!te and have zero atmosphere. I really hate the way so many places have tried to model themselves on them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

is masons not a superpub????

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭aziz

It would be nice to have a few more pubs in the city centre but not "Super pubs".There is nothing between t&hs and the wacky(with the exception of the ginger man)so that whole area is so dead at night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Masons certainly is not a super pub and never has been.

Generally, super pubs are in converted buildings like the Left Bank in Kilkenny. They have to serve food all day as well (masons has never served food). And typically are supposed to look nothing like a normal pub.

If they converted the old cinema into a bar, that would become a super pub!

Aziz is right..when the likes of the old stand, egans, city arms, flashes etc closed...the city's night life died a death.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

those big pubs like the left bank in KK suck big time, thank God we dont have that here, although Masons is like that and Kazbar to some extent. I like the kazbar in fairness. I think there is plenty of option around, would be nice to see Muldoons open again though. Most people complain about pub choice yet they go to the same 3/4 pubs like some herd of sheep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

The Kazbar would be the closest we have to a super pub. It's a converted building...bars on a few floors...food served etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Jordans is a super pub, love the pint in there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

would love to see them convert the old cinema into something similiar to the Mardyke in cork.. a pub on the ground floor, pool, snooker, bowling! I think it could be a goer!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Generally, super pubs are in converted buildings like the Left Bank in Kilkenny. They have to serve food all day as well (masons has never served food). And typically are supposed to look nothing like a normal pub.

Aziz is right..when the likes of the old stand, egans, city arms, flashes etc closed...the city's night life died a death.

Forget M&S, that's a great idea!

The way the town is at the moment I'd prefer to drive to either Cork or Kilkenny and stay over night and go out there than go into Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Those pubs closed because they weren't doing any business.

Waterford people are notorious for not moving around and like to stick with a small handful of pubs when out on the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

If there was a superpub built, then even more pubs would be forced to close, and result in even more complaining from people who say 'there's not enough selection in Waterford'.

Forget M&S, that's a great idea!

The way the town is at the moment I'd prefer to drive to either Cork or Kilkenny and stay over night and go out there than go into Waterford.

Until you get bored of going to the same pubs down there. If KK and Cork is so great, why dont you move down there.

Max Powers wrote: »
    Until you get bored of going to the same pubs down there. If KK and Cork is so great, why dont you move down there.

Oh dear, saucer of milk for one here :rolleyes:

Oh dear, saucer of milk for one here :rolleyes:

Meeeeoowwww, your right pixie, this complaining, the grass is greener rubbish really annoys me

Meeeeoowwww, your right pixie, this complaining, the grass is greener rubbish really annoys me

Who said the grass is greener? I prefer pubs in Cork or Kilkenny (or Dublin for that matter, as I am original from Dublin) because the pubs in town don't cater to my tastes, that's not to say they don't cater to the taste of some. I'd be all for a new pub going in somewhere in town (doesn't absolutely have to be a super pub) that might be a bit different to what's on offer as it stands. I don't see the problem with a bit of wishing/hoping for that and I don't think it's a "grass is greener" attitude either :confused:

Who said the grass is greener? I prefer pubs in Cork or Kilkenny (or Dublin for that matter, as I am original from Dublin) because the pubs in town don't cater to my tastes, that's not to say they don't cater to the taste of some. I'd be all for a new pub going in somewhere in town (doesn't absolutely have to be a super pub) that might be a bit different to what's on offer as it stands. I don't see the problem with a bit of wishing/hoping for that and I don't think it's a "grass is greener" attitude either :confused:

A lot on here or saying the grass is greener. I dont mind some wishing/hoping too but its the complaining that gets me, my friends, some on here, and numerous acquaintances are the same complaining about f-all pubs, nothing to do here etc yet they go to the same pubs week in week out, have practically never been into the theatre royal, garter, cinema, christ church, etc etc. they have one night out in KK or wherever and all of a sudden KK is great and Waterford is rubbish. Granted, they might have had a good night out in KK, why wouldnt they but they dont take into account the novelty and that bugs me as a proud Waterford person. i used to live in Dublin for years and yet i prefer going out in Waterford

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

ditto

A lot on here or saying the grass is greener. I dont mind some wishing/hoping too but its the complaining that gets me, my friends, some on here, and numerous acquaintances are the same complaining about f-all pubs, nothing to do here etc yet they go to the same pubs week in week out, have practically never been into the theatre royal, garter, cinema, christ church, etc etc. they have one night out in KK or wherever and all of a sudden KK is great and Waterford is rubbish. Granted, they might have had a good night out in KK, why wouldnt they but they dont take into account the novelty and that bugs me as a proud Waterford person. i used to live in Dublin for years and yet i prefer going out in Waterford

But sure I'm hardly to blame if there are some people who think KK or wherever is great after one night out up there. Have been to as many of the pubs in town that I thought would interest me but they're just not for me, gave them a chance and I think that's fair enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ComfyKnickers

There are enough pubs in Waterford - the problem is getting people out and about to drink in them again. Get togethers in friends houses and byob seems to be the order of the day at the moment and I think it's simply down to money or lack thereof!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

I agree with the lack of a Super pub being a good thing.
    What we really need is a line of pubs that generate an atmosphere like in Galway - Outside seating around the Spanish Arches.
    sunflower3 wrote: »
    As per wikipedia -

In 2009 the City of Kilkenny celebrated its 400th year since the granting of city status in 1609.

;)

As for the Kilkenny argument you probably shouldn't use Wikipedia as a source of info and out of context too.

http://www.oireachtas.ie/documents/bills28/acts/2001/a3701.pdf
    This section is without prejudice to the continued use of the
    description city in relation to Kilkenny, to the extent that that
    description was used before the establishment day and is not otherwise inconsistent with this Act.

and
    City Councils
    City Council Number of Members
    Cork 31
    Dublin 52
    Galway 15
    Limerick 17
    Waterford 15
    PART 3
    Town/Borough Councils with 12 members
    Bray
    Clonmel