Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Cellar Door Track

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

my ears say the bass is to loud , the vocals too low , the drums too low

but i like it

so i had to check out the others as well .

really like 'pepper pots' - really good tune as well

apart from the 'protect you in this crazy world line' - its been done :)

'who are you'
    suffers low vocals as well - but i like it

warsaw
    = like this also a lot

role model
    - great lyrics - and tune

i like it all - didnt pay much attention to the sound for the others - cos i liked the tunes :)

some of the mixes are pro studio jobs i take it ? ( last two )

youve got some good stuff there man , keep it up!

do you gig in dublin at all ?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭DBSound

DaDumTish wrote: »
    my ears say the bass is to loud , the vocals too low , the drums too low

but i like it

so i had to check out the others as well .

really like 'pepper pots' - really good tune as well

apart from the 'protect you in this crazy world line' - its been done :)

'who are you'
    suffers low vocals as well - but i like it

warsaw
    = like this also a lot

role model
    - great lyrics - and tune

i like it all - didnt pay much attention to the sound for the others - cos i liked the tunes :)

some of the mixes are pro studio jobs i take it ? ( last two )

youve got some good stuff there man , keep it up!

do you gig in dublin at all ?

Thanks very much for the reply :)

Ya you could be right about the bass as that is one place I do have problems with. (untreated room and mostly mixing with headphones).

As for the vocals I was pretty happy with the levels. Saying that I am the vocalist so maybe when I mix them I hear them louder than they actually are because I know exactly what they are and how they sound already (if that makes sense)

In defense of the line "how can I protect you in this crazy world line" it was a genuine tip of the hat to Aslan. Not that I'm a fan of them, it's just I think 'crazy world' is a great song and that line stuck with me :)

'Who are you' and 'The World's Wrong' were recorded and mixed by myself using a relatively basic setup. Macbook, pro tools, fastrack pro, addictive drums demo etc.

'Warsaw' 'Pepper Pots' and 'Role Model' were recorded and mixed in data recording studios over 4 days and mastered via Abbey Roads online service.

Sadly we've never gigged outside Cork and have nothing lined up at the moment :(

Thanks again,

Dave
    Cellar Door
    http://www.facebook.com/cellardoorband

• Registered Users Posts: 40 CrimsonSounds

Hey Dave !

Love the name lol

The vibe of the track is cool - starts off as a sort of sonic youth thing, which I love.

Mix wise:

VOX:
    I also think the vox is too low. There's a lot of verb on it, so consider automating the verb in places - bring up the dryer vox, and then push back the wetter vox for sections maybe.

Drums:
    Drums seem loud enough in the second part of the track, though up until the drums drop in properly around 1:45 or so, I think they're too quiet.

The snare rolls that come in at 4:00 are overly quantised for my ears - if they are midi, you should try to draw / programm some swing / groove into them as they seem to hold back the groove of everything else for me.

Lastly, at 3:55, theres a cymbal hit which has some sort of clipping / overload sound on it as it hits - breaks up to an 8bit sounding noise in the mix which distracted me.

Guitars sound cool - and I actually think the bass is fine - though I love bass heavy mixes !

Good stuff -nice vibes in there ;-)

Al.

Advertisement