Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

my design process so far... C&C welcome

Options
  • 29-03-2012 11:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,
    I am thinking of building a PC, I am an electronic engineer so understand the principles & (some of) the lingo but not all the specifics. This is my plan/design assumptions so far.
    I'd welcome any comments or critique you have!

Thanks in advance..

1. What is your budget? ……………..€600-800
    2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [ Photo editing. & general use, maybe Call of Duty at some point]
    2b. Anything else?
    YES – I want this PC to last 8-10 years. It must be easy to build (My 1st build) low maintenance, and also upgradeable – ie 4 DIMMS, not 2,
    and a good selection of expansion ports etc. ATX is preferred because bigger size = easier assembly & expandability.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [YES. 64-bit Win 7 Home Premium]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Corsair VX-450FW, 450W PSU]

5. Do you need a monitor? [NO, but I may want to add say a 22” or 24” second monitor later]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [I dunno, lets say it is 1920x1080]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [YES…USB 3.0 flash card reader, 802.11 b/g/n, may add a sound card later.
    May add a vidcap card later, will add a GPU card later]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [NO. Reliability, Longevity, low maintenance, & upgradeability are more important to me than raw performance]

8. How can you pay? Any option.

9. When are you purchasing? In the next 6-8 weeks
    10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [Cork]

My thoughts so far…

I want to do this in stages.
    Stage 1 - Photo editing only, No GPU so mobo must have onboard video
    Stage 2 - Add a GPU so that I can run a second monitor, and/or play COD.
    sTAGE 3 - Who knows... So I will want to have a reasonable qty of PCIe slots, also I have decided that 4 DIMMs is a must.

QUESTION: IF I ADD A GPU WILL I BE ABLE TO DRIVE 2 MONITORS? IE 1 WITH THE GPU & THE 2ND WITH ONBOARD VIDEO?

other thoughts.

Processor – i5-2500 you pay eu15 more than for the 2400, but you go a lil bit faster, too. I dont think the i7 is worth the extra eu100. Opinions welcome here!

Chipset – H67. Has 4 DIMM slots. Has onboard video, so I don’t
    need to buy a GPU right now. Can’t overclock, but I don’t want to.

QUESTION: Should I wait for H77 Panther Point (native USB 3.0???) _ I am thinking not a huge benefit here?

MOBO
    MUST HAVE
    onboard sound & graphics
    USB3.0 that I can hook up to top/front panel of case.
    4 x DIMM
    1 x eSATA, preferably 600 Is pSATA of value? I dont think so, If I use an external HD then having to power it separately is no issue for me.
    3 x SATA 600
    1 PCIE x 16
    1 PCIE x 4
    2 PCIe x1
    1 x PCI ( this is desirable b/c there is a wider range of eg wireless cards for PCI today, than for PCIe)
    ATX or just maybe miniATX, no smaller.

NOT SURE ABOUT
    DisplayPort QUESTION: Any opinions on DisplayPort?
    HDMI

I also think TPM is a dont care.... could TPM have any possible benefit?

CASE
    - Must have air filters, (Longevity & ease of maintenance)
    - Must be quiet, but does not have to be silent
    - easy access USB 3.0 ports on top, if possible
    - space inside for up to 5 hard drives,
    -front panel - CD drive, and a card reader, so 2 slots/bays.
    - Styling - Yes please. Would like a sleek , nice-to-look-at, case, not into lighting at all though.
    - Must be reasonably solid, easy to open/close etc.

Would really appreciate recommendations here....all cases look the same on the internet - I am completely clueless here.

STORAGE
    DECISION - I dont need an SSD. (And if I'm worng, I'll get one later. )
    Soo..
    1 – system drive. SATA 600, 1TB. For OS,applications, photos, data
    2 – backup drive SATA 600, 1TB. For backing up photos & data

STORAGE STAGE II
    In the future I'd like the option to add up to 3 more drives.
    ( ie have the option say for 4 x 2TB in a RAID 10 or similar config that essentially means I wont have to do backups)Reasonable assumption? Performance hit? I assume if mobo wont do RAID 10 I can get a PCIe card to do it at some stage if I want...

OPTICAL
    - 1 basic DVD/RW

- I will never want a bluray. (That is a whole other post!)

COOLING
    Keep it simple. No fluids!

POWER BUDGET/POWER SUPPLY
    I have a 450W PSu & that should get the stage 1 lit up. If i add a GPU I'll upgrade the PSU later.

Well, that's as far as I've got.

What I am hoping for here is - advice on specifics, and also of my approach in general - does it make sense?

Thanks!

-FoxT

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

imo: 2500k can be overclocked so would be my choice, also 450 should hold a decent efficant card... but for Cod you dont need the best gpu money can buy but you'd like to think that 50-60 fps at good settings can be attained.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

Thanks, but as I said in my OP I will not overclock. I want expandability & reliability rather than max performance.

I know my first post was really long - thanks to everybody who took the trouble to read it!

I am in Mobo selection mode now, and these questions come to mind:

summary: I want to do photo editing, & later on, add a graphics card for COD.

Is firewire important? ( I have a sense that it is dying, especially as I am not into video)

What about USB3.0 vs SATA for external (ie backup) drives?

Is DisplayPort of value?

Thanks again

-FoxT

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭TheZestyLemon

Not many computers will last 10 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

the one I have today did! (Dell, Intel P4, 2G RAM)...though to be fair, its only usable for web browsing now...

Advertisement