Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No picture after upgrade

Options
  • 29-03-2012 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,122 ✭✭✭✭

Hi!
    I got my new case, PSU and GPU today and built the new machine using those and parts from my old computer. Before starting, I uninstalled the drivers for my old graphics card.

Now, I've started up my new build and nothing is coming up on my tv. I've got it connected by HDMI cable connected to my new GPU. I know it's picking up the HDMI port anyway because my tv won't allow me to switch to that feed unless it's active in some way. I don;t even get a BIOS screen

I know the drivers for the new card need to be installed, but I can't do that if I can't see.

If I can get my hands on a VGA cable, can I use the motherboards VGA port? And if get in, install the drivers?

Using my PS3 for now.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,122 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Unable to edit my last post, but the update is that now the PC won't even turn on for me. I've checked and all connections appear to be correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Akarinn

Make sure everything inside the case is secure.

Something could be loose, i.e Your ram, or your memory..

But on a serious note, make sure theres nothing's loose!

Okay, yeah something was loose. Just pushed down on everything and it powers on now. Thanks.

So now it's just the problem of not being able to see anything. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Akarinn

Wel at least u got that back up and running :)

And to answer your question about the gpu, if u dont have the drivers installed well then clearly u cant use it:)

So really, get ur hands on a vga calble and plug it into your mobo and download/install the latest drivers for your card. After u do that, im sure all will be well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

there is definitely something wrong, and installing drivers wont fix that. windows would have basic VGA drivers that would drive it anyway.

try putting your old GPU in to see if itll boot.

do you have a motherboard speaker, and is it beeping when you turn on the PC?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Akarinn wrote: »
    Wel at least u got that back up and running :)

And to answer your question about the gpu, if u dont have the drivers installed well then clearly u cant use it:)

So really, get ur hands on a vga calble and plug it into your mobo and download/install the latest drivers for your card. After u do that, im sure all will be well :)
    Solid you got fresh install and using hdmi, then you don't get signal to screen? Sounds Weird. Surely there are plenty of people who did initial boot with their TVs on hdmi?
    Sounds weird. Was that gpu working before OP? Try plugging and unplugging hdmi cable while everything on, sometimes it does not pick up from initial start.
    Do all fans spin on gpu? Is it really getting proper power feed? If that's old gpu, then cleaning of dust might help too.

PC turning on and I hear all fans going, etc. Haven't run it with the cover off to see if the fan's working on the GPU, but I'm assuming that since the HDMI port is on there, that it's at least partially working if the connection's being detected by the tv.
    It's a brand new 6870. I don't have another PC I can try it on.
    It's connected to the power supply by 2 connections.

The motherboard doesn't have a speaker to hear beeping from, but I can tell you that the USB ports are working as they can power my keyboard wireless receiver.

I guess I can try installing the old card to see if that HDMI connection works.

Thanks for the replies so far

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

do you have a different monitor to test it on?

where in the country are you?

Are you using monitor or tv? Maybe something wrong with resolutions.

Keep it open to see whats going inside and just to be safe try to put in old gpu so, just to rule out the rest of the system fault.

I just have the tv. No other monitors. I was using the tv for the previous PC so I know it works.
    I'm at work at the moment so won't be able to try anything else until I get home this evening.

The PCI E connection is the only connection isn't it? There are no other connections to the motherboard that I need?

I can try the other GPU (GT210) this evening when I go home. After that I'll be out of the house from this evening til tomorrow or Sunday. So if that doesn't work, I can pick up a cheap VGA cable from ASDA tomorrow to try it that way when I get home again.

• Advertisement

Then maybe check cable it self, maybe a cut somewhere? You newer know. Check TV settings too, maybe it's not pc fault at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Op,

Had similar issue with a Samsung TV & an AMD card a while back, could not get the TV to work via HDMI > HDMI.

However, the TV also had VGA so it worked DVI > VGA adapter > TV/VGA no problem. For a finish, I got a 3 meter DVI > HDMI cable online which worked flawlessly as well:confused:

Anyway, it can be done.

Then maybe check cable it self, maybe a cut somewhere? You newer know. Check TV settings too, maybe it's not pc fault at all.
    Yeah will try the HDMI cable on PS3, but it's the same one I was using before now as well and I did nothing to it.

glynf - I think the card came with a DVI/HDMI adaptor so I can try that. May be the HDMI socket on the card that's the problem somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

I think its top do with the driver not recognising the tv on that output, once you get in at all there's usually a way to manually set the card up for the telly.

Okay was home for lunch.
    I don't have a dvi/HDMI adapter. It's a DVI/VGA one.
    I tried the HDMI cable on the PS3 and it worked.
    I turned it on with the side panel off so can confirm the fan is going
    I swapped in my old card and it's the same with no picture.

So I'll get the VGA cable and try that and let ye know.

Thanks again for the input!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Might be worth resetting the BIOS and giving the card one more try as well, sometime it can stop functioning properly when you add new hardware causing the machine to refuse to boot.

http://www.wikihow.com/Reset-Your-BIOS

Will resetting the BIOS affect my installation of Windows?

I'd be doing it via the motherboard since I can't even get the bios screen displayed. Do you think I would need to configure anything afterwards?

I think I'll leave that option until after trying the VGA cable option. Just because it sounds like a last resort type measure. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Will resetting the BIOS affect my installation of Windows?

I'd be doing it via the motherboard since I can't even get the bios screen displayed. Do you think I would need to configure anything afterwards?

I think I'll leave that option until after trying the VGA cable option. Just because it sounds like a last resort type measure. :)

It is only concerned with very low level hardware configuration, so it will not affect your windows installation at all. It is never any harm at all to reset it after making a major hardware change.

http://www.howstuffworks.com/bios1.htm

I'd consider it one of the first ports of call for these sorts of issues, rather than a last resort. :)

Right so. Will try it just removing the battery here first then if that doesn't work, will remove the battery and move the jumper llike it says

No joy with the BIOS reset.

• Advertisement

Got VGA cable but still no luck through DVI output on graphics card or from VGA port on mobo

Got VGA cable but still no luck through DVI output on graphics card or from VGA port on mobo

Did you tried old gpu?

Yep. Tried old GPU and tried removing the GPU altogether before connecting VGA to motherboard

Yep. Tried old GPU and tried removing the GPU altogether before connecting VGA to motherboard

well, if everything is powering on and both GPU not working then i would start looking in to TV itself. cant you get any friend to lend you monitor?

More or less up and running now. I just started disconnecting parts from the motherboard and tried turning it on. One problem was with the case fan. It didn't like the new fan so now I have the old one in its place. Just downloading drivers for the new graphics card now as that's also stopping it from starting up. So have the card disconnected for now. Will install drivers, reconnect the card and sit and hope

Do you want to tell me that you did not got a visual signal, because of the case fan?!

I didn't until I started removing parts. For some reason the message appeared only after I disconnected the front USB ports. But after I changed the fan and reconnected the ports it all worked so I don't know why the message wasn't appearing before.

Anyway, tried the card again but now going back to the blank screen

And done!
    Card installed. Connected by HDMI to the tv.

So what I had to do to install the drivers was:
    1. Remove the card
    2. When starting up, press F10 to enter the setup menu
    3. Change the primary video startup to Onboard
    4. Save and shut down the computer
    5. Install the card
    6. It would now not attempt to use the card and display using the motherboard VGA connection
    7. When Windows loads it detected the hardware and installed the drivers
    8. So I went back in to the startup menu to change the primary video to PCI-E
    9. Loaded up but the display and audio weren't right
    10. Turned out Windows had just installed drivers to see the hardware so I had to install the proper drivers
    11. Rebooted and now the display's great and the audio is working

Thank you for all the help. I really appreciate it. Hope this helps anyone else who may experience the same problems.

Advertisement